Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lenny, Alek and Rob's cyclo crossbromance

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Here's the lap preview, looks.. grassy! :)

Fast Racing on that course for sure was expecting something a little more that a branch and 2 boards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Not sure how fast it will be, the ground will be fairly saturated so will be heavy going for the racers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

not very technical is it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Not sure how fast it will be, the ground will be fairly saturated so will be heavy going for the racers...

Yeah I guess you are right will certainly soften up strong lads will push through regardless was expecting more tech sections . . organisers said course was draining well . . all will be revealed soon enough I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

In anticipation of the Irish national champs, heres live stream from Polish ones:

http://www.lubelska.tv/streams/single/4

Right now - Masters I and " Cyclosport"

10.55 – Juniors

11.55 – Women

13.10 – Elite

(someone should be hanged for the choice of music)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good luck to everyone. Rob I'm expecting big things from you (hopefully not in the form of falls!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

My Bets are:

Elite Men:
    David Montgomery Chain Reaction Cycles

Elite Women:
    Maria Larkin Chicago Cutting Crew

Juniors:
    David Conroy Scott Eurocycles.com

M40/Vets:
    Robin Seymour Team WORC

Masters 50 Race:
    Mark Murphy Bray Wheelers

2 out of 4, so far.

http://www.stickybottle.com/offroad/results-masters-junior-womens-national-cyclocross-champs/

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

1st Roger Aiken
    2nd David Montgomery
    3rd Glen Kinning

It would be interesting to compare Robin's lap times with Roger's times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It would be interesting to compare Robin's lap times with Roger's times.

Course getting worse each time though, lapped slower in m40 race than in warm up taking it easy at about 0900

Slog fest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭crosswords

A bit of a Slog alright. A dedicated and skilled pit crew was essential. Course got heavier with each lap. Thanks to Robfowl Midonogh and Caroline.ie for their support.

Narrowly avoided hitting Sean O Tuathaill in his massive crash just after the start. kudos to him for getting back to the front.

Aiken was pure class as was Seymour in his new category.

Are full results available anywhere?
    Was there doping control at the race?

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Are full results available anywhere?
    Was there doping control at the race?

Yes they are: http://www.ulstercyclocross.com/Results/Irish_National_Cyclo_cross_championships_2016_Results.htm

Also, according to the technical notes:
    Anti-doping
    We have not been informed if anti-doping will be on site. It is the responsibility of all
    riders to ensure that they are not required for Drug Testing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Also, according to the technical notes:
    Anti-doping
    We have not been informed if anti-doping will be on site. It is the responsibility of all riders to ensure that they are not required for Drug Testing.
    Pedantry possibility.

Surely this should say: It is the responsibility of all riders to ensure that they are not required available for Drug Testing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CramCycle wrote: »
    Pedantry possibility.

Surely this should say: It is the responsibility of all riders to ensure that they are not required available for Drug Testing.

No, that would give them the "out" of saying there were available but not sought. AD at these events usually lists the numbers of the riders at a designated point, its the riders responsibility to check before they go home.

No testing afaik fwiw, I certainly wasn't ;)

Woo Hoo

Looks like there will be an Irish team at the cyclocross worlds this year :)

AFAIK David Conroy is going :)

Best of luck and "smash it"

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Craig06

Did pit crew for the junior and M40 race. Some craic in the pits. Bikes were destroyed after 2 laps maximum. Mainly it was take a bike change every 1 and a half laps.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

RobFowl wrote: »
    No, that would give them the "out" of saying there were available but not sought. AD at these events usually lists the numbers of the riders at a designated point, its the riders responsibility to check before they go home.

No testing afaik fwiw, I certainly wasn't ;)

I get ya, makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

miller_63 wrote: »
    For all those missing CX in Leinster in January, Navan are hosting our first race on our new course.

Sunday 17th January

Navan%20CX%20R1%20Promo%20Pic_zpscmpbmr2v.jpg

Anyone doing this? Is it only sign on on the day or online sign on? Will this be my last chance to push RobFowl into a bush (after hiding all year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Sign on on the day Lenny....Lots of interest shown already.

We ordered the Chicken Curry yesterday too for it, that's bound to be worth it alone! Prizes too for placings in all categories.

Long term forecast is or a dry race!

• Advertisement

Long term forecast is or a dry race!

Not for Lenny, he's going down....

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

does sign on close at 1045? perhaps a little early for a racers?

1130 would be good.. looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I'm not sure if I want to race, but probably be there to witness the long-anticipated Lenny's Bush Push.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

lennymc wrote: »
    Anyone doing this? Is it only sign on on the day or online sign on? Will this be my last chance to push RobFowl into a bush (after hiding all year)

3 laps is an insult for the women's race, why do we get shoved into a C race?

Interesting idea to have a "C" race, I'm sure a lot of people would have wanted this in the early FIXX races...

Though I have to agree with Nak, when you have competitors like Beth McCluskey in the womens race, I can't see riders at the top end being interested in a 3 lap race...

nak wrote: »
    3 laps is an insult for the women's race, why do we get shoved into a C race?

Hi Nak, please drop me a PM as to why you think this is an insult and I will try and explain or rectify the problem?

Our main reason for 'shoving' all into one race is time restraints and perceived attendance numbers. Its by no means 'shoved' or that ill thought out trust me. We are dealing with our first ever CX race at this venue, so whilst trying to prove to our local council that this is viable long term to make it a permanent fixture we also have to appeal to the CX guys in our locale.

The lap itself is very tough and the Elite guys are estimated around the 9 1/2 min mark at best. Its technical, natural and tough....

Other categories we have to expect 12-15min laps possibly more. So please don't be disheartened by the '3' lap scenario!

If you feel like we should combine it with the B or A race then please shout now!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Hi Nak, please drop me a PM as to why you think this is an insult and I will try and explain or rectify the problem?

Our main reason for 'shoving' all into one race is time restraints and perceived attendance numbers. Its by no means 'shoved' or that ill thought out trust me. We are dealing with our first ever CX race at this venue, so whilst trying to prove to our local council that this is viable long term to make it a permanent fixture we also have to appeal to the CX guys in our locale.

The lap itself is very tough and the Elite guys are estimated around the 9 1/2 min mark at best. Its technical, natural and tough....

Other categories we have to expect 12-15min laps possibly more. So please don't be disheartened by the '3' lap scenario!

If you feel like we should combine it with the B or A race then please shout now!

I don't want to knock anyone who goes to the trouble of putting on a race, but it might have been better to specify the race lengths in terms of duration e.g. 45 mins or an hour. Calculate the number of remaining laps based on the time taken for the leader to complete the first lap. Describing a race as 3 laps long doesn't really inspire anyone to travel.

If the A race is to be an hour for 11k, there must be a hell of a lot of running!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭inc21

I don't want to knock anyone who goes to the trouble of putting on a race, but it might have been better to specify the race lengths in terms of duration e.g. 45 mins or an hour. Calculate the number of remaining laps based on the time taken for the leader to complete the first lap. Describing a race as 3 laps long doesn't really inspire anyone to travel.

If the A race is to be an hour for 11k, there must be a hell of a lot of running!

Well, by CI and UCI cyclo cross events are time based instead of lenght. Different ages categories, different times. Your lap times can change a lot if condition change. You could end up 40 race for better guys or 1.30 race for slower fellows and no one would be happy.
    I remember reading through them when we were setting up our 1st event. On lunch break now but I'll dig it out later.

Always someone complaining that is now becoming abundantly clear!

Laps are estimated and based on current timings from a trial event run. If the course hardens up further then an extra lap will be added per category at our discretion.

No one will be complaining when receiving a prize though, and Planet X have just weighed in with a hefty cash purse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I wouldn't announce laps at all before standing on the start-line. Even then, the better approach is what Mr Grieves suggested (and exactly what we did for Swords Leinster Champs in December gone).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement