Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it my technique?

• 01-10-2015 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Why is it that I seem to get a much closer shave with Persona Platinum blades than with sharper Feathers? I can shave fine with the Feather without fear of nicks but my face always feels a little raw the day after and the regrowth a little more 'aggressive'.

Using a Semogue 1305 brush with RazoRock XXX, shaving with a Muhle R89 and finishing with Proraso cream.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Just because people claim Feather blades to be the 'best' it doesn't mean that they are for everyone. It sounds like you have found that you prefer Personna Platinum to Feather blades. If they work for you there is no need to worry that one other blade type doesn't work ass well.

That being said if your face is feeling raw from the Feather blades, then it could be your technique. Usual suggestion of use less pressure/don't shave against the grain until you're good with across and with the grain passes....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Plastik wrote: »
    Why is it that I seem to get a much closer shave with Persona Platinum blades than with sharper Feathers? I can shave fine with the Feather without fear of nicks but my face always feels a little raw the day after and the regrowth a little more 'aggressive'.

Using a Semogue 1305 brush with RazoRock XXX, shaving with a Muhle R89 and finishing with Proraso cream.

Same here, I went with some feathers (trying to use them up now) shave is not as pleasant as if I use something like a Voskhod Rapira. Feathers not for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

As everybody says, there is no "best" blade - just the best for you.

Be happy, personna are cheaper than feathers :D

I settled on personna myself and buy them in the 100/200 packs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Another Persona user here. I used to use Feather's on my starter EJ89 but when I changed to vintage Gillettes I found the different head didn't suit Feather's anymore (for me). Been using Persona Blues every since which seem a good match for Rockets and Aristocrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Feathers, I find, deteriorate in shave quality in a sharp downward curve, whereas a blade like a Gillette Yellow tends to give a more predictable shave throughout its lifespan.

I started out with Personna and settled on Gillette Green & Yellow, mostly made in Russia now, if I'm not mistaken. Love them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Plastik

I got a 50 blade sample back earlier in the year and still trying to go through them so swapping in and out different blades all the time to see how they are. I waited a long time before going to the Feathers such was their reputation. I've no problem with across/with/against grain passes with other blades but maybe the Feathers just highlight some problem with my overall technique that the lesser blades are masking. I've only been DE shaving for 8 months so still experimenting & learning. I was just expecting more (maybe unreasonably) from the Feathers. The Personas have been great though.

Advertisement