Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying an iPhone 6s in NYC

• 01-10-2015 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭

Hey so I'm in NYC for one more day and i land in Dublin at 5.40am on Saturday morning. I've been in touch with apple so i know the phone will work fine. I'm just a bit concerned about coming through the airport with in. What would the chances that customs would be doing checks at that hour of the morning?

I will be ditching the box etc but alway have purchased some clothes as well so really don't want to get done. all the labels are off the clothes so there wont be any proof they were brought here.

I will be travelling by myself.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Hey so I'm in NYC for one more day and i land in Dublin at 5.40am on Saturday morning. I've been in touch with apple so i know the phone will work fine. I'm just a bit concerned about coming through the airport with in. What would the chances that customs would be doing checks at that hour of the morning?

I will be ditching the box etc but alway have purchased some clothes as well so really don't want to get done. all the labels are off the clothes so there wont be any proof they were brought here.

I will be travelling by myself.

I got stopped coming back from San Fransisco twice in the last 12 months. They target trans Atlantic flights I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

godtabh wrote: »
    I got stopped coming back from San Fransisco twice in the last 12 months. They target trans Atlantic flights I reckon.

what did they do when they stopped you?
    did a lot of people get stopped ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Won't be a problem. You say yourself you are ditching the box, what are they going to say? "Sorry sir, did you buy that phone here?"

Ans: "no"

" OK sir, carry on"

davo2001 wrote: »
    Won't be a problem. You say yourself you are ditching the box, what are they going to say? "Sorry sir, did you buy that phone here?"

Ans: "no"

" OK sir, carry on"

ok just ditch receipts and all packaging. as long as they can't prove the purchases were made abroad they can't do anything. is that right ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

what did they do when they stopped you?
    did a lot of people get stopped ?

They asked me where I was coming from what I was doing there etc. One was for work and one was for holidays.

Asked had I made any significant purchases which I handt and moved me on. Stopped a good few.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    They asked me where I was coming from what I was doing there etc. One was for work and one was for holidays.

Asked had I made any significant purchases which I handt and moved me on. Stopped a good few.

oh so they don't stop and search you they just ask you questions and if they say no they move on is that right? I've been in the states since June working at a summer camp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

ok just ditch receipts and all packaging. as long as they can't prove the purchases were made abroad they can't do anything. is that right ?

No, not right. It is up to you to prove where you bought it, not them. They could also contact Apple to check the serial number if they wished.

whiterebel wrote: »
    No, not right. It is up to you to prove where you bought it, not them. They could also contact Apple to check the serial number if they wished.

would they really go to that extend for one person bringing it in for personal use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

would they really go to that extend for one person bringing it in for personal use?

Of course not.

You don't have to have proof of purchase for everything you bring through an airport.

I have an omega 8 years.. Been asked loads of times if i bought it while in the states, every time i say no... Never been asked for proof of purchase

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They have the power to do it is all I'm saying. You may be one of up to 290 on that flight alone coming from the US - how many do you think have bought things over there are not declaring them. They could be losing 23% off all purchases coming in. People are entitled to bring in up to €430 with them in total, without paying VAT and duty, AFAIR

Of course not.

would you thing I would be ok?
    Last thing i need is to buy it and then get caught by customs

You don't have to have proof of purchase for everything you bring through an airport.

I didn't say you did. You have to be able to prove to customs where it was purchased, if they decide to question it.

I didn't say you did. You have to be able to prove to customs where it was purchased, if they decide to question it.

Doesn't happen in reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

let the battery run down so it cant be turned on and post the box & receipt to yourself, it's not unusual for people to have these phones so I wouldn't be concerned about it. what about your old phone? did you bring that with you? 2 phones may rise suspicion.
    you could also buy a cheap phone cover as well.

Yeah I totally you what you are saying. I would think I would come across as less likely person to target. You girls travelling by herself as opposed to a small group doesn't exactly screen out shopping trip

let the battery run down so it cant be turned on and post the box & receipt to yourself, it's not unusual for people to have these phones so I wouldn't be concerned about it. what about your old phone? did you bring that with you? 2 phones may rise suspicion.
    you could also buy a cheap phone cover as well.

i have a iphone 4s that i have with so will be bringing that as well. i not too worried about they box but might post it to myself. I'm sure the apple store can email me the receipt.

If i were to get stopped. how much would i have to pay ?

Already asked that in the Apple Store. That's not the case with the new phones. They are all the same now

Would anybody have an idea how much I could be made pay if I'm caught. I want to weight up if it's worth the risk

Add VAT @ 23%

• Advertisement

To the price i paid ? Would I have to pay it there and then at the airport ?

To the price i paid ? Would I have to pay it there and then at the airport ?

Customs convert to Euro then charge 23% VAT, and then expect payment on the spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

if you are stressing that much about it then just buy the phone here.

And if you don't have the funds to pay on the sport what would they do. Take it off you ? Even with paying the 23% VAT it still works out cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

let the battery run down so it cant be turned on

Unless you mean doing that whilst on the flight, you've obviously been living under a rock for the past year, because that is possibly the worst advice ever.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10952671/Airport-security-you-wont-fly-to-the-US-if-your-mobile-phone-battery-is-dead.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10950919/Air-passengers-must-charge-phones-before-airport-security-or-risk-losing-them-says-US.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Hahaha, the Daily Telegraph! In case you've been living under a rock, that's a British paper, and the story deals with a British airline. We here in Ireland fly Aer Lingus to the States. You're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I really can't imagine that customs in Dublin are on the lookout for people's individual mobile phones. If a phone is in your pocket I can't imagine they'd look twice at it.

I think they are after much bigger fry than that on transatlantic flights.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've bought many a high priced item in the US, and i've never had an issue, noone ever batted an eye lid you'll be fine.

Just be aware, i bought an iPhone 6 Plus in the states last year, while apple warranty is worldwide, you won't be able to use AppleCare Plus in Ireland, you can still purchase it, but you won't be able to avail of the mail in service for the device, to get service(if you ever need it) you'll need to visit an AppleStore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,322 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bring the phone with your current sim in it and the phone fully charged and functioning. If you have a device powered down you may not be allowed fly with it because they can't see it's functioning.

Get a pay as you go sim in the US and put it in your old phone and tell them you use the old phone for roaming in US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Bring the phone with your current sim in it and the phone fully charged and functioning. If you have a device powered down you may not be allowed fly with it because they can't see it's functioning.

Get a pay as you go sim in the US and put it in your old phone and tell them you use the old phone for roaming in US.

That's a lot of hassle and worry for a saving of about €100.00

I just can't see customs stopping people to check the phone that they are actually using.

Advertisement