Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants Notice Period

Options
  • 01-10-2015 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

As a tenant who stayed in a house for 9 months what would be the required notice period to give the landlord before one can leave without having to give up your deposit for lack of notice period?

Bearing in mind no lease was signed.

If the deposit is to be kept by the landlord for a lack of notice period, and if a new tenant was to take over my old room within a certain time frame of me leaving, would I be entitled to some of the deposit back?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

You will have to give 35 days notice.

A landlord is only allowed to deduct expenses from the deposit, this might include cleaning if it is needed or replacing broken items if there are any.

A landlord may wit hold lost rent from the deposit as well but must pay you the remaining amount once a new tenant has been found. They must also act to gain a new tenant ASAP as any time lost due to the landlord can be removed from what the landlord is allowed keep.

If you are living with the landlord then none of these rules matter and you just have to give reasonable notice which is usually but not necessarily the same as the rent period. I.e if you pay weekly then you give one weeks notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you live with your landlord? If so, only 'reasonable' notice is necessary.

If you are only renting a single room in a property that isn't your landlord's residence, then the situation is fuzzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 QuickQ29

Thanks for the detailed reply guys very much appreciated.

No the landlord did not live on the property.

I may give the landlord a call early next week to try and iron out the details.

They seem quite adamant that I am entitled to no deposit back which seemed quite fishy to me.

Advertisement