Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR (Commerce UCD)

• 01-10-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I've never heard of this scheme up until today when I was talking to my guidance councillor about courses and points.

Looking at the requirements for this scheme I see no reason why I would not be eligible. The course I am looking to do is Commerce in UCD, points for this course being 500 this year with an expected rise next year. If we were to judge off my Summer tests of 5th year I would've fallen short by 50 points, obviously Summer tests can't be compared to the actual Leaving Cert however if I were to have fallen short by 50 what is the likelihood that I would have gotten into this course? Is a 30-50 point deduction realistic in this particular course? Considering the course is quite big with 235 places...

Thanks in advance for answers, also apologies if something similar has been posted

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

It's impossible to know really how many points will be deducted from a course. It could be 10 under one year and 100 under another, it just depends on the results of the other HEAR candidates. All the students accepted into the HEAR scheme compete with eachother for a certain percentage of the places in a course dedicated to them and the candidates with the best points get them. So there's no way of knowing because it's purely based on their results that year and just comes down to luck really. You could ring the college and ask the points of the HEAR students in the course last year to give you a rough idea but they may not even tell you. They'll more than likely advise you to just do your best in the LC, to aim for the full amount of points and if you fall under, just see what happens. You can't rely on HEAR to carry you over the line.

Advertisement