Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Stair/Step Light

Options
  • 01-10-2015 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi all,

Fitting a new stairs and trying to add side lights to each step, broadly similar to the picture below:

LED-stair-lights-kulekat.jpg

It's more for effect that for the light value so a low wattage led light would be ideal. Can anyone suggest a type of light fitting that will do the job? I tried a local electrical shop and they are recommending Robus R3LED10 lights which are normally fitted in decking, this means they are IP68 which is increasing the cost of them to c. €74 + Vat for 10 and I need 12! This means buying an additional 5 light set at €55 + VAT.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of advice?

There are cheaper sets on ebay such as http://www.ebay.ie/itm/10x-White-Round-LED-Lighting-Kit-Ceiling-Deck-Paving-Stairs-Indoor-Garden-Plinth-/131585390681?hash=item1ea319b859 but its hard to be sure of what your getting.

Any feedback appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Tbh that's not a bad price if you like the fitting, IP68 would be welcomed for a fitting mounted so low that might get a belt of a wet mop.
    I'd be concerned that a lower spec less robust fitting that I think you are suggesting would result in a lower cost might not do the trick. Ceiling fittings are not expected to have to withstand a kick every now and then.

Also how deep are the fittings you are looking at. The eBay ones look like you'd need to core the wall to fit.

Finally , being able to return faulty leds to a wholesaler is welcome. I'd run a mile from eBay fittings, most items have a cheaper eBay option but it's very messy returning items to ebay suppliers and you usually end up paying postage.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭JimFin

Thanks Stoner, good points made. The depth of the fitting is very important as I don't want to be boring walls. The Robus are just 25mm.

Advertisement