Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly moving to Kildare (Naas) and needing information on the best places to live

Options
  • 01-10-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello

Family may be moving to Kildare after years and years of living abroad. Older primary school aged children.

This will be a huge move both physically and socially/educationally/culturally etc so we're looking to make the transition as smooth as possible.

Work will be in Naas. We are looking in the general Naas area and I've read up and looked at property all over Kildare (literally hundreds of homes!).

There are pros and cons to all places but obviously some places are better than others. Our ideal village/ town would have
    good schools
    near amenities
    a central town/village area but doesn't have to have it all, just a few shops/pubs/restaurants.

We're used to driving long distances for amenities so having to drive for those isn't a bother (for example their school now is 11 miles each way), we'd just like a walkable area to shops and pubs as we don't have that now and I don't want to live in a rural area again where is 5 miles to get a litre of milk.

Naas seems to have good swimming and tennis facilities, something we'd love but our budget is under 400K.

We like the look of Sallins. Heard both bad and good but that's in all places I suppose. Does anyone have input? Or any other input in the greater Naas area that could help us?

Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

Naas itself seems to be the answer - quite a lot of new houses coming on the market at all ends of the town and all within your price brackets.

Advantage of a new development is than all occupiers will be new to the area, hence easier for kids to make friends.

The new Ballymore Pipers Hill development on the Klcullen road is next to Killashee House Hotel which has a very good leisure centre and also close to Pipers Hill secondary school. Ballymore themselves have a very good name in house building.

http://www.myhome.ie/residential/kildare/new-homes/property-for-sale-in-naas

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Zedda

Thank you!

I did see the Piper's Hill development, it looks really nice! I think with our budget we can squeeze in. Good to know the builders have a good name, I know from experience how important that is. And yes to the new families in the area too, at least many of us will be in the same boat.

Ballymore are a big player in London too, but their HQ is about 5km from Naas in Ballymore Eustace, so a real "local" building firm. :)

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/homes-and-property/the-irish-developer-with-a-big-vision-for-london-1.2284778

Thanks for the link, very impressive. I took a closer look at Piper's Hill, we were looking for a 5 bed (preferably) but that's far more than we can afford. We may have to be cash buyers due to having no credit history in Ireland although we both have A1 credit where we are now. I wonder if that would count.

The new Willouise development has 5 beds for $380K but I think they only have a few left. Do you know anything about that estate? It's brand new and looks really good but so does everything online. We'll have half the house we're used to, for the same price but downsizing isn't always a bad thing. The size of these estates is mind-boggling to me (a hundred houses on 10 acres), I think you'd really have to like your neighbors! The development I currently live in has 60 homes on 175 acres. But our children would have a great entry into making friends in a busier development so it'd be worth it for us.

I will have to look more deeply into the mortgage situation. We could probably put 75% down (pending our own home sale) for Piper's Hill but that may not be enough for us from the bank's point of view. I hear it's nearly impossible to get a mortgage no matter what.

It's be nice to click my fingers and it'd be 6 months later and all done and dusted. We love where we are now but it's not "home" and neither of us want to eventually retire in the States. No family here on either side.

Anyway, I think I'm thinking aloud. Thanks for the tips and the link!

Plenty of large houses in similar price range, but you would be sacrificing the nearness / walk to amenities.

Go a mile or two out and you'll get large house on acre or 2 for similar price. http://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/eagles-rest-barrettstown-naas-co-kildare/3253562

Personally I prefer the little hassle of having to travel a little to shops for the peace and serenity of rural living - and once youvare used to it, its difficult to go back to livign in an estate.

I can't see any issue with a mortgage especially if loan to value is very low - banks will be happy to take details from another country once they know you are in secure employment here.

It would probably be worth your while employing someone to search out the right place for you, or alternative is to rent for a while til you find a place - a google search brings http://www.buyersagent.ie/ They seem to be based in Dublin, but I'm sure they work Kildare too.

• Advertisement

Nice house! I have seen some really nice country homes. I tried to attach a link to another lovely country home but can't as I'm a "new user" whatever that means!

Honestly, I feel the opposite to you. I'm a townie at heart and miss it tremendously! As I type, I'm looking at corn fields and blue skies and huge oaks and I'm wishing I lived somewhere with more action! Living here for 12 years and it's gorgeous but not for me. I was in Ireland over Christmas and wishing I lived like friends and family there, in estates and here they were wishing for what we have. I suppose the grass is always greener...maybe we should look for a smaller estate. I know we'll never get what we have now in terms of space but it's ok.

I don't think I'll ever live in the country again, I've done cities, towns, suburbs and rural and rural doesn't suit our family. Esp. as our kids are making such a big move, they'll need a lot of kids around. I feel guilty enough for the changes they're about to incur!

Then pipers hill will be perfect (if the agent is reading this i want commiss)

15 min walk to Naas town centre one way, 5 minutes walk to grounds of kilashee house hotel. That's why the premium price. Also 5 minutes walk to pipers hill school (one of the better schools in the kildare area)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Jack GrEnglish

Wow! Who would pay 400 k for a crappy house in Naas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭AndersLimpar

You would probably get more for your money in one of the villages close to Naas. Have you had a look at Clane? Has tennis club, swimming pool, good schools, shops, pubs and restaurants in the village, 10 mins from both M4 and M7 and Naas is about 10 mins away also.

Have you had a look at Clane? Has tennis club, swimming pool, good schools, shops, pubs and restaurants in the village, 10 mins from both M4 and M7 and Naas is about 10 mins away also.

Yes! Clane is on the list. It seems there are a few villages around Nass that have small village centers but very close to Naas. I really like that option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

we are in naas and looked outside naas years ago in these small villages...now my boys are teenagers I am glad I stayed in naas...no driving them in & out of town to meet their friends, they can walk everywhere

They both go to pipers hill college and the bus feeds it so easy for them to get there

Willoise is in Sallins.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

Hi there. We purchased a house in the the area last year. Loads of new developments have since come on stream. But I think the developers may have overshot on their asking prices and could drop back and/or negotiate. For example, I am on the mailing list for Piper's Hill (I had expressed interest but we had bought elsewhere before the launch). They have already dropped 10k off their asking prices for all units except the 3-beds. That happened between the initial email I received from them in September and a re-launch email I got only the other day. So I'd keep an eye on the asking prices and the PPR.

Also, none of the new developments in the area "only have a few left". They've all only just started with plenty land left around them. They may be telling you they have a few left in the current launch, but that's different. Most developers are building as they go these days, or a few houses ahead. If you want to buy a house off them they will build you one and they might even make alterations for you if you want them. Don't be afraid to ask ;) .

Feel free to pm me for details on our recent house buying saga if you want.

Thanks SK!

We have an appointment to look at a model home next week a few miles outside Newbridge. The town seems great and plenty of shopping and we'd be 10 mins drive from the outlet shops even though that would probably only be a yearly trip to look around.

Piper's Hill is REALLY nice but we need a 5 bedroom and study (I work from home) it's far too expensive for us and Piper's Hill is a huge development, I don't want something so big. I checked out the site plan. We plan on customizing to our own taste. We don't want granite or stainless steel appliances etc, I'm sick of that. We've build from scratch before so I've learned from my mistakes.

Our mortgage is nearly paid off and we're in our mid 40s, I don't want to start with a big mortgage all over again at our age. Maybe I'll win the lotto! It is a very nice development though!

Newbridge College is also a plus for our children. Fingers crossed this small development is as nice as it seems. We can afford it and can walk/bike to a nearby shop and pub for all our immediate needs, that's more than we have now! It's hard having such a limited budget but that's where we are. If you have thoughts on Newbridge please let me know and also about the schools there that are not fee-paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭richiek83

Zedda wrote: »
    Thanks SK!

We have an appointment to look at a model home next week a few miles outside Newbridge. The town seems great and plenty of shopping and we'd be 10 mins drive from the outlet shops even though that would probably only be a yearly trip to look around.

Piper's Hill is REALLY nice but we need a 5 bedroom and study (I work from home) it's far too expensive for us and Piper's Hill is a huge development, I don't want something so big. I checked out the site plan. We plan on customizing to our own taste. We don't want granite or stainless steel appliances etc, I'm sick of that. We've build from scratch before so I've learned from my mistakes.

Our mortgage is nearly paid off and we're in our mid 40s, I don't want to start with a big mortgage all over again at our age. Maybe I'll win the lotto! It is a very nice development though!

Newbridge College is also a plus for our children. Fingers crossed this small development is as nice as it seems. We can afford it and can walk/bike to a nearby shop and pub for all our immediate needs, that's more than we have now! It's hard having such a limited budget but that's where we are. If you have thoughts on Newbridge please let me know and also about the schools there that are not fee-paying.

Hi Zedda. I live in Newbridge. Good town with great shopping/ amenities. There are a number non fee paying schools in the town. Secondary schools are Patrician Secondary (All boys), Holy Family (All girls) and the St Conleth's VEC (Mixed). The VEC is actually just about to undergo a significant expansion. There is also growing pressure to open an Educate Together secondary school in the town. The Patrician is a good school (I went there). The Holy Family also has a decent name for itself. Some of the primary schools are Patrician Primary, St Conleth's, Scoil Mhuire, Gaelscoil, Educate Together and or two other smaller schools.

Newbridge is actually the largest town in the County according to the 2011 census. It is a town with very strong sporting traditions which transcend nearly all sporting codes. The town has a vibrant retail and commercial scene with lots of choice for grocery shopping and higher end shopping all located in the town centre and within walking distance of each other. Expect more development in the town in the next 5 to 10 years as significant parts of the town centre will likely be regenerated.

Like with every town it does have its faults but generally the positives outweigh the negatives.

Let me know if you need any further info

thanks so much for this information, really helps!

I didn't realize Newbridge was so big (but not huge) which suits us well!

Advertisement