Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oil dipstick broke

Options
  • 01-10-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a 1969 cuda with a 318
    The tube that the dip stick slides into broke off several years ago and I hardly drive the car , so the other day I took it out for a spin and noticed oil in my driveway when I came home

About the size of my fist. When I checked the engine I had oil in the right side spattered

Is it possible that the oil sqills up through were the dipstick is suppose to be. I just stick it back into the hole as it's not seal to the engine

Any suggestions please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

That's exactly what happened..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

You'll also risk the engine running on low pressured oil. Should always have the dipstick in. For pressure and spillages!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭T5180

The sump and crankcase are pressurised due to any blowback from the cylinder bores and the movement of the crankshaft . This is normally directed out through the rocker cover breathers back into the inlet manifold but when the dipstick tube is broken it will vent out here also .
    You will need to secure it back in place or it will make a mess of the engine bay and eventually the engine will run low on oil .
    The dipstick tube is usually pressed into the engine block .If there is still some tube sticking out of the block you could slide a piece of good quality fuel hose over this and secure the riser piece back in place using hose clips . If not you are looking at removing the broken section and welding both pieces back together and refitting or pressing in a new replacement item .
    Whatever way you decide to repair it make sure the top of the tube finishes at the same height from the sump as before or your levels shown on the dip stick will not be accurate ,which could have messy consequences .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 69barracuda

Thank you so much

Quick question
    The tube is actually pressed in originally
    Not welded

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭T5180

You are not making this easy for me ..... what is your quick question??
    I know it was not welded in originally , read my post again .
    If you have broken piece sticking out of the block pull it out carefully and have somebody weld the two parts back together for you , then secure it back in position with something like a Loctite bearing retainer product .You may need to carefully heat the block to free the broken piece. I you dont have the broken pieces buy a replacement dip tube or have someone make you a new one from some light wall tube , ie hydraulic pipeline and bond it into the block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

in my case Piston Broke.....good night out that was

Advertisement