Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

intel galileo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I have one of the originals, the arduino <-> cmd line linux interface was interesting but the lack of a decent distro left it pretty limited (no apt-get is pretty inconvenient!)

I found it buggy as hell too. The only thing i done with mine was connect a 7 quid doorbell to it and have it send push notifications via pushbullet when someone was at the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Intel Galileo

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Galileo

Anyone buy these or work on these or opinions , thoughts or rants?

Designed in ireland!

Its pretty much superseded I think by the Edison.

Both are similar in ways, but the Edison has a good few more features built in. Both can have Arduino code that can call python scripts. The python has full access to USB and Internet. Or just write everything in Python, node or c.

I have one of each and completed a few iot projects with it - the Edison especially, seems to be liked a lot out there.
    I still like the Arduino for it simplicity and stability- but its nice to be able access usb, bluetooth and have proper sound using devices like this.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I have done a few arduino projects and has thinking of moving on to something else
    they are quite expensive thou the edison and the galileo.
    (You can get a arduino Uno clone from 3 euros or make your own!)
    You would want to be buying them for a good reason/project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ozmo

(You can get a arduino Uno clone from 3 euros or make your own!)

Absolutely - just add an ethernet card for 6 euros - or wifi for 5 euros.
    they are quite expensive thou the edison and the galileo.

Keep an eye out for the competitions Intel frequently run.
    We won our Edison at the RDS "Coolest Projects" show.

eg. here they suggest:
    https://software.intel.com/en-us/blogs/2014/09/08/announcing-intel-iot-developer-kit

"Are you ready to build something using the IoT dev kit then register and attend our IoT Roadshows and get a FREE kit (Hardware + Software) plus connect with Intel & Industry IoT Experts ."

“Roll it back”

Advertisement