Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it unfair to keep a bird as a pet?

• 01-10-2015 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I could never understand why anyone would want to keep a bird as a pet and always thought it was cruel. Then my old boss got an African Grey parrot called Ruby and I was fascinated by her. I loved hearing her talking and would use any excuse when at work to run over to the boss's house, just to see her. (Get ye're mind's out of the gutter, I worked in a B&B and if it was busy we had to use the washing machine and dryer in my boss's house :P)

Unfortunately the wife got diagnosed with emphysema and one thing that aggravated this was the down and feathers from the bird (plus the wife had always hated her), so Ruby had to go. The boss was worried about putting her up on DoneDeal because he wouldn't know who would take her. So I said I'd take her, which he was happy about.

After I got her, I was afraid she would be lonely on her own when I was at work, as I worked long hours at the time, so I went on Done Deal and got another bird, Charlie. Both birds are doing great and I love having them but some people still think it's not fair on them. They should be living in the wild etc. My birds are happy and don't pluck their feathers or have behavioural issues, so I'm happy with my decision to get them but I was wondering what other people think?

Am I selfish for having them as pets or is it ok if they are living happy lives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

My general rule is I wouldn't have a pet that couldn't come and go as it pleases but chooses to come back. But that's just me. Don't know if that'd apply to your birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

OneOfThem wrote: »
    My general rule is I wouldn't have a pet that couldn't come and go as it pleases but chooses to come back. But that's just me. Don't know if that'd apply to your birds.

Like the cat I saw dead in the middle of the road today? One of those 'pets'?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a strangely human thing to want to take a creature that embodies freedom and lock it in a cage for its life for one's pleasure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Yeah I think so,my mother has one and I feel sorry for it,its the most magnificently coloured one I've ever seen though if we released it,it wouldn't survive.on the plus side its a bit of a character it can flick its food fairly accurately at the dog as he passes or sleeps nearby.....if looks could kill!

As long as Ruby doesn't take her love to town...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I brought Charlie home to my bird and see was buzzing, only problem was that she kept repeating everything she said and was unbearable after a few hours. I had to set her free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

OneOfThem wrote: »
    For me my rule is that I wouldn't have a pet that doesn't interact with me, such as spiders, snakes, fish etc. Last Christmas we had students at the B&B and did a secret santa. One student got another a goldfish. The student who was gifted the fish said she couldn't take it home and the boss put it outside. It's cold at that time of year and while I don't like fish, I couldn't leave it knowing that it would either starve or freeze to death, so I took it home and bought some food for it. Almost a year later Terry (the students gave it this name because it's their Principal's name) is still swimming in his tank. I got him a companion but it died. I really don't get why people get fish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is it unfair to keep a bird as a pet?

To be honest I think that's a disgraceful way to be talking about your bird. If you don't respect her as an equal human being you don't deserve to be with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,841 ✭✭✭✭cormie

It's unfair to keep any creature captive and to take away its ability to roam free as it pleases. Unfortunately humans have put their own entertainment, pleasure and materialism (because that's what a lot of pets are for) as priority over the freedom of others and like to decide what they believe is best for these creatures and what level of happiness is adequate and satisfactory for them to have.

My nieces have a hamster and rabbit and it saddens me that my siblings have contributed to the capture and selling of these creatures from their natural habitat and mothers, for the sake of their own children. The hamster gets hardly any attention at all and is just like any other unused toy that's been grown tired of.

It seems a completely primitive and unnecessary act to own other lives like this. The "wouldn't survive" argument is moot, it wouldn't be an issue if they weren't taken from their natural habitat in the first place and the only reason they are is because there is a market for it.

It's a strangely human thing to want to take a creature that embodies freedom and lock it in a cage for its life for one's pleasure.
    My birds aren't locked in a cage. They have total freedom when I'm at home and when I leave I close a screen door in my kitchen doorway so that the parrots have one area and the puppies have another. Their wings aren't clipped and they fly all the time, regularly onto my shoulder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Am I selfish for having them as pets or is it ok if they are living happy lives?
    The way I would look at this is that your birds wouldn't be able to survive in the wild. If they are fed and watered, and have stimulation and company, then you are giving them the best life that you can, and they are probably lucky to have you.
    I really don't get why people get fish?

A well set up and maintained aquarium (I wish I had the money for a bigger one) is a thing of beauty, and very relaxing to watch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

I say it is unfair however if your a loving owner than that's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Haznat

For me my rule is that I wouldn't have a pet that doesn't interact with me, such as spiders, snakes, fish etc. Last Christmas we had students at the B&B and did a secret santa. One student got another a goldfish. The student who was gifted the fish said she couldn't take it home and the boss put it outside. It's cold at that time of year and while I don't like fish, I couldn't leave it knowing that it would either starve or freeze to death, so I took it home and bought some food for it. Almost a year later Terry (the students gave it this name because it's their Principal's name) is still swimming in his tank. I got him a companion but it died. I really don't get why people get fish?

Goldfish get huge and are better suited to living in a pond. Keeping tropical fish is an extremely rewarding experience. There's a bit of science required in their care and a bit of research in trying to replicate the conditions they need to thrive. It's more of a hobby than having a pet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭starling

It's illegal - and wrong IMO - to take a parrot from the wild; assuming your boss got the bird legally she would have been born in captivity and doesn't know any different. She wouldn't survive long if you set her free. In any case, she sees your home as her home now and if she's happy with you she probably wouldn't leave even if you left her out of the cage and opened all the windows. You can see parrot owners on YouTube whose parrots like to go outside with them while they're hanging the washing and play on the washing line.

The unfair thing IMO is keeping a bird as a pet and not doing what you can to educate yourself about what they need, and then providing that. It's not enough to just stick them in a cage, feed them and clean the tray and then ignore them the rest of the time. Parrots are very intelligent and sociable and need stimulation; they need to feel safe and comfortable, but they also need to explore and play. They're kind of like toddlers with wings :) Thankfully with the interwebs you can do this quite easily. You don't have to spend tons of money either, try giving them things like toy cars and Legos! It sounds like your birds are happy and getting along okay with each other, and the fact that you're even wondering this shows that you have the right attitude. I think they were lucky to end up with you, it could have gone a lot worse for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Sinister Pigeon

Depends on the bird imo.
    Chickens, turkeys and seagulls you can cage all you want Mr. Cow.
    The rest of us should remain as free as a bird.

Yeah I think so,my mother has one and I feel sorry for it,its the most magnificently coloured one I've ever seen though if we released it,it wouldn't survive.on the plus side its a bit of a character it can flick its food fairly accurately at the dog as he passes or sleeps nearby.....if looks could kill!
    In fairness though, if that's our only experience then it's hardly fair. It's like someone saying "the neighbours got a new puppy at Christmas and keep it in a kennel and all it does is bark" so I think getting a puppy is selfish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Would you keep a drunk in a midnight choir?

Do they have a cage each? Even though they like to have free rein to fly around the house, they also need a space of their own that they can retreat to and feel safe in if they feel tired or anxious or whatever. A cage has very negative meanings for a human, but to a bird, his cage is his castle - a space of his own where nothing and no-one else is allowed. That gives them a feeling of security. You can leave the cage door open so that they can fly in and out of it when they want.

Also, this probably sounds obvious, but if they're flying about when you're at work, do be extra careful about anything that could be dangerous to them. Sorry, not implying you're an eejit or anything. :)

My birds aren't locked in a cage.

They live in a bigger cell.

In fairness though, if that's our only experience then it's hardly fair. It's like someone saying "the neighbours got a new puppy at Christmas and keep it in a kennel and all it does is bark" so I think getting a puppy is selfish.

My neighbour breeds them and he gave us one,we didn't even want it only the kids in the family were acting up about it,I built a kinda bird run for it outside with lots of room and he goes out there when the weather's agreeable, its kinda of a catch 22 as we want to release it but it wouldn't survive long with the amount of cats around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

My neighbour breeds them and he gave us one,we didn't even want it only the kids in the family were acting up about it,I built a kinda bird run for it outside with lots of room and he goes out there when the weather's agreeable, its kinda of a catch 22 as we want to release it but it wouldn't survive long with the amount of cats around.

It's not just the bird to think about regarding releasing it, you have to consider the local wildlife too. Much havoc has been wreaked by well-meaning people releasing non-native species.

You shouldn't have taken it if you didn't want it. It's nice that you built an outdoor run for it though. But does anyone play with it and interact with it or does it spend all its time in the run or cage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kylith wrote: »
    It's not just the bird to think about regarding releasing it, you have to consider the local wildlife too. Much havoc has been wreaked by well-meaning people releasing non-native species.
    Just look what Eugene Schieffelin did with the poster below you. :P

starling wrote: »
    It's illegal - and wrong IMO - to take a parrot from the wild; assuming your boss got the bird legally she would have been born in captivity and doesn't know any different. She wouldn't survive long if you set her free.

So it's not ok to take something from the wild but it is ok to contribute and encourage it by buying the offspring? No matter how many generations may have passed of captive breeding, that's what it stems from. As obscure as it may sound, I'm not sure the Fritzl children would agree with you on the not knowing any different point :eek:

You shouldn't have taken it if you didn't want it. It's nice that you built an outdoor run for it though. But does anyone play with it and interact with it or does it spend all its time in the run or cage?

We didn't really want it as its a bit **** keeping them in a cage but it was probably going to end up in one anyways,its spoilt rotten with attention,plenty of food and stuff to to play with, as I said it's a bit of a character...make ya laugh

cormie wrote: »
    So it's not ok to take something from the wild but it is ok to contribute and encourage it by buying the offspring? No matter how many generations may have passed of captive breeding, that's what it stems from. As obscure as it may sound, I'm not sure the Fritzl children would agree with you on the not knowing any different point :eek:

Ah ffs birds are not people, enough with the hyperbole. OP is not contributing to or encouraging anything. He basically rescued that bird from someone who never should have gotten it in the first place (one spouse wants it and the other hates it...yeah no).

We didn't really want it as its a bit **** keeping them in a cage but it was probably going to end up in one anyways,its spoilt rotten with attention,plenty of food and stuff to to play with, as I said it's a bit of a character...make ya laugh

Well, if it's happy and cared for properly there's no need to feel sorry for it, is there ;) I know we think "oh I'd hate to live in a cage" but birds don't see it that way.

• Advertisement

Well, if it's happy and cared for properly there's no need to feel sorry for it, is there ;) I know we think "oh I'd hate to live in a cage" but birds don't see it that way.

Yeah it's a bit of a tragic relationship,we didn't really want it because of it being in a cage and didn't want to see it go somewhere were it was still in a cage and not getting properly treated plus the kids in the house whingin and ghoulin about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Not sure if talking about a bird or talking about marriage...:pac:

Just look what Eugene Schieffelin did with the poster below you. :P

I'd just like to point out that any effect I personally may have had on the U.S. economy was definitely positive and that the worst thing I ever did in Central Park was smoke a spliff.

I'm not like those other starlings you read about :pac:

Not sure if talking about a bird or talking about marriage...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭OneOfThem

January wrote: »
    Like the cat I saw dead in the middle of the road today? One of those 'pets'?

I didn't know the cat in question, so how could I possibly say?

What a strange question to ask someone.

Ah ffs birds are not people, enough with the hyperbole. OP is not contributing to or encouraging anything. He basically rescued that bird from someone who never should have gotten it in the first place (one spouse wants it and the other hates it...yeah no).

The OP's case is different of course. Anyone who buys animals to be kept captive and away from their natural habitat is undeniably contributing to the chain. The same goes for buying almost any animal products. The vast majority of people put the satisfaction of a human of higher importance than the life and freedom of an animal so it would seem an impossible feat to stop the millions of businesses and consumers contributing to it. Even as I mutter at you, I may be coming across as some animal saint, but I have my weaknesses too. It's only when you step back and look at it, you see it's not right and for me it's just a case of minimising the exploitation where possible on a personal level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Would you keep a drunk in a midnight choir?
    D'ya know what? You're just like a knight from some old fashioned book...

Advertisement