Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog goes or I go

• 02-10-2015 12:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭

A next door neighbour has a big dog.

They let it out front and it barks at everything and jumps up on fence at everyone. Very intimidating for even grown men.

They then go into house and leave it there to do this for a good hour.

I'm at a stage that I can't let kids out in garden.

Is this

a) On
    b) allowed
    c) What do I do

Thanks - not a dog fan, and certainly not a fan of dogs that can kill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

A next door neighbour has a big dog.

They let it out front and it barks at everything and jumps up on fence at everyone. Very intimidating for even grown men.

They then go into house and leave it there to do this for a good hour.

I'm at a stage that I can't let kids out in garden.

Is this

a) On
    b) allowed
    c) What do I do

Thanks - not a dog fan, and certainly not a fan of dogs that can kill.

Some dogs can be very territorial so this behaviour isn't exactly anything to be concerned about. I have a bischon frise, tiny as can be, but she will jump and bark for minutes on end if anyone approaches the garden. Once someone actually comes in, she is over getting as much rubs as she can :)

Any idea what breed it is? I don't know you personally but it sounds like you have a fear of dogs, quite unfair to label it as a "dog that can kill" just because of a natural behaviour for some breeds. Just because a dog jumps and barks doesn't mean it has any intention of harming you, let alone killing you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Talk to the neighbors? Ask them to introduce it to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

TheChizler wrote: »
    Talk to the neighbors? Ask them to introduce it to you?

These neighbours are not the full............

It is some sort of Alsatian - so yes reminds me of World War 2. Would be affraid and every hard man that passes is affraid.

Daughter only 3.

I was thinking more down the line, can I get dog taken away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You can call the warden but, AFAIK, if it can't actually get to someone they can't do much. You being nervous of it is not a legal issue.

Why aren't you willing to engage with them? It would most likely work out best in the long run. It sounds like you'd prefer the dog to be taken away (and any legal situation that would necessitate that would result in the dog being put down) than be assertive with your neighbors.

Nothing wrong with German Shepherds, a lot of smaller dogs would be louder barkers, is it the size of the dog and its image that's your issue?

Any dog can kill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

In terms of the warden, theres not much they can do if the dog is on a private property. It's a different story if the dog is loose on the public roadway or pathways and acting aggressive, but a barking dog on private property and harming nobody is going to be of no concern to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

For the sake of your children talk to the neighbour and get to know the dog. Don't pass on your fear to them. I'm no fan of dogs but I wouldn't want one put down for barking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

It is some sort of Alsatian - so yes reminds me of World War 2. Would be affraid and every hard man that passes is affraid.

Reminds you of world war 2???? I think you are over reacting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

As long as the dog is fenced in and is not roaming onto the street or other peoples gardens then you don't have any case for doing anything. We have a German Sheperd and they are actually very intelligent, well behaved breed of dog, not aggressive at all. great with kids too. If the dog is barking too much have a word with the owner. We have a kennel out the back that we put him in at night so he dosent bark

As long as the dog is fenced in and is not roaming onto the street or other peoples gardens then you don't have any case for doing anything. We have a German Sheperd and they are actually very intelligent, well behaved breed of dog, not aggressive at all. great with kids too. If the dog is barking too much have a word with the owner. We have a kennel out the back that we put him in at night so he dosent bark

But I think there should be a higher level of duty of care.
    He is jumping up onto wall . Face is in public walkway. Frightening children elderly and unexpected grown men.

It is a dog that can kill . It is a dog from world war 2.

It is 2/3 times the size of the kids in area . It Is Unsupervised.

I don't think that should be permitted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

But I think there should be a higher level of duty of care.
    As already established what you think has no barring on what the dog warden or the law says.
    It is a dog that can kill . It is a dog from world war 2.
    World's oldest dog then (as a fyi; most breed predate WW2) oh and any dog can kill no matter their size; yes that includes that little cute thing barking his lungs out as well (esp. that one because people don't socialize them properly "because it's so cute").
    It is 2/3 times the size of the kids in area . It Is Unsupervised.
    It could be the size of an elephant; still makes no difference.
    I don't think that should be permitted
    What you think has no barring on the law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Having a child is irrelevant and won't score you brownie points here or say with the dog warden. The dog is in enclosed garden barking - it's not eating any women or children. Ask to meet it it, ask if you can buy a box of Bonio's in the supermarket and throw one to him when you come out in the garden so he's happy to see you... or make your kids terrified of dogs for the rest of their lives so they can grow up and start threads on boards in 20 years. My dog barks at some strangers who pass our gate and barks louder when his favourite neighbours are passing and he wants them to stop and pet him... he hasn't eaten any children yet but there's a new baby across the road so we'll see what happens. Also our family german shepherd didn't maul or eat any of us kids even if some of the neighbours were afraid of him (i don't remember him ever barking)

I pass a garden with 3 barking dogs every day btw - I IGNORE them like everyone else.

'Dog goes or I go' - see you later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

These neighbours are not the full............

Daughter only 3.

I was thinking more down the line, can I get dog taken away.

You can't get the dog taken away for being on its own property. Absolutely nothing you can do as the dog has done absolutely nothing wrong. So that's that. Your only option is to communicate your fears to your neighbour in a mature reasonable manner and see how that goes. All my dogs will bark at passers by if they're at the front of the house, none have any intention of attacking anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

'Dog goes or I go' - see you later[/QUOTE] +1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Firstly OP, on the one hand I think you're in a complete flap about the breed of dog! It frightens you and shouldn't be allowed because "it's from World War II"? Seriously? No offence but come off the stage, man! That is nonsensical. In honesty I do think you have a fear of dogs.

However, I do agree with your sentiments in other regards.
    One thing is that it is very unmannerly of a person to get a big dog that makes a lot of noise and is capable of intimidating people purely by its appearance and keep it in a built up area with lots of neighbours close by. I think it's just not on to expose your next door neighbours to barking, jumping up on fences and smells. It doesn't matter the actual temperament or breed of an animal, the fact of the matter is that a lot of people, especially small kids and elderly are frightened by larger energetic dogs.

And this now is a real pet peeve of mine - people keeping big dogs in tiny backyards of semi-d's or terrace type houses. I don't wish to offend but aside from the above paragraph, I would consider this to be bordering on the lesser end of crulety. Especially so when people go off to work for the day and leave them there in a little square yard. Whatever about a small little bichon, a big dog like a retriever or alsatian should have plenty room. I think you should only have a larger dog if you live in the country or if you have a good big decent garden for them to frolic and run around in. When I drop over to my gf's rented place I pass this house with a black lab that looks very sad all cooped up. I think how much happier my Lucy is at home, having the full run of the yard, in and out of sheds, up the passage etc.

And as for asking to meet the dog? I wouldn't do that op, you might come across as strange. I dunno, but if someone came up into the yard at home and asked "may I meet Lucy the dog and get to know her?" we'd be like "Okayyy.....Have you forgotten to take your tablets this morning?" It's odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

And as for asking to meet the dog? I wouldn't do that op, you might come across as strange. I dunno, but if someone came up into the yard at home and asked "may I meet Lucy the dog and get to know her?" we'd be like "Okayyy.....Have you forgotten to take your tablets this morning?" It's odd.

You're concerned about the OP coming across as strange???

Either the dog goes or I go.... Exactly who is that demand aimed at? Unless the op and his neighbour share the same landlord (who happens to read boards and sees this thread) then that demand is strange. A dog from world war 2? As pointed out, that is one old doggie at this stage....

Yeah, we wouldn't want the OP to appear strange now would we.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Deep Six wrote: »
    Some dogs can be very territorial so this behaviour isn't exactly anything to be concerned about. I have a bischon frise, tiny as can be, but she will jump and bark for minutes on end if anyone approaches the garden. Once someone actually comes in, she is over getting as much rubs as she can :)

Any idea what breed it is? I don't know you personally but it sounds like you have a fear of dogs, quite unfair to label it as a "dog that can kill" just because of a natural behaviour for some breeds. Just because a dog jumps and barks doesn't mean it has any intention of harming you, let alone killing you.

Have you any idea how annoying that can be for neighbours? My parents next door neighbour has 2 bichons that she allows to bark as much as they like, and by Jesus to they yap and bark, so much so that my parents often have to leave their own back garden because it's just so bad. So bad that they often wake my parents who sleep at the back of the house. She has this deluded idea that a yapping dog will prevent someone breaking in, which is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

Maybe your neighbours don't like your kids out in the front garden. Your title.. "Dog goes or I go"
    I reckon you should go...

And this now is a real pet peeve of mine - people keeping big dogs in tiny backyards of semi-d's or terrace type houses. I don't wish to offend but aside from the above paragraph, I would consider this to be bordering on the lesser end of crulety. Especially so when people go off to work for the day and leave them there in a little square yard. Whatever about a small little bichon, a big dog like a retriever or alsatian should have plenty room. I think you should only have a larger dog if you live in the country or if you have a good big decent garden for them to frolic and run around in. When I drop over to my gf's rented place I pass this house with a black lab that looks very sad all cooped up. I think how much happier my Lucy is at home, having the full run of the yard, in and out of sheds, up the passage etc.

You need to accept the fact that people in cities have pets and shock horror some of us allow our indoors with the family so they can get the human contact they need - so they're not freaking out in gardens bored? I don't need a big house or garden to dump my retrievers in all day - they're in the house asleep between their walks.

I would LOVE if parents came over and asked if they could meet my dogs - instead of them letting their kids scream at and terrify them. One of my dogs is afraid of kids now because of idiot parents passing their fears onto their kids.

Our dog is not dumped in the yard with no human contact as you suggest. We have great time for the dog and she has plenty human contact - goes everywhere with dad and whoever else is about as they're working, follows him back the yard, down the fields, off to the coop in the back of the jeep etc etc. Very sociable dog, always affectionate and playful around visitors. She is well looked after and very content.

But that said, she is an outside dog. She's not allowed inside the house. She has her own little corner in one of the sheds and of late she has taken to lying off in a little hollow she's made for herself in the top of an upturned bale.
    My point is this, a dog doesn't have to be sitting up at the dinner table with ye of a Sunday afternoon to be a treasured and loved pet.

I think you and I just come from different cultures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

My neighbours also have a real pain in the ass Alsatian OP, they've had two now and they bark incessantly. If you're gardening it'll come right up to the other side of the fence to bark. Doesn't really make a difference what you do. Consider getting a bigger fence for peace of mind.

I think you and I just come from different cultures.

We do of course - but one isn't automatically better than the other? Plenty of city dogs live happy full lives - they're not all in cell block small back gardens with nothing to do all day.. we do have parks/beaches/mountains/forests! :pac: ....and I meant city dogs being dumped in gardens going nuts btw :o

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

OP until you make an effort to talk to the owners, you are not going to get much helpful advice here. If you go through any of the MANY threads of dogs barking etc. you will see that majority of the responses are...talk to the neighbours! There is nothing we can do and if the issue is you just don't like dogs....then that's your issue not your neighbours! How are we supposed to know if our dog is annoying someone unless it is brought to our attention?!?

While I do agree with you that dogs need their space, I don't think you can jump to conclusions like this. You may walk past my house and see my two dogs sitting in my living room on their own for 6 hours or so but you don't see me bringing them for their two/three walks a day or you don't see me playing stimulating games in the house two wear them out. Just because a dog is being left alone apparently "sad and cooped up" does not mean its cruelty.

Ok wrong forum - thanks for the pms from some sensible people.

After reading this you can see why dog tragedies happen, I accept mainly in UK.

It is totally unacceptable for a dog of that size "size doesn't matter (classic above)" . To be trapped in a very small residential estate.

People are defending it jumping onto external wall head a good 2 feet out into walkway barking .

Crazy stuff - I'd get it put down , or at least taken away. People who have a dog of that size , and let that happen shouldn't have a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I think most people were trying to point out that if the dogs on its own property there is nothing you can do about it. If theres a noise issue from barking then make a formal complaint to the council. Instead of calling your neighbour names can you not go and speak to them about your concerns??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

OP...where do you propose to go if you cant do anything about the dog?

Its dramatics for the sake of it, youve got no legal standing over your neighbours or the dog. If the dog is on private property tough luck.

If they bring the dog out on the road, you may have some joy by complaining that they may not have a license kr the dog on a lead/muzzle other than that, grin and bare it.

Nearly all dogs are possesive of there property and territory so barking is to be expected, again, if its not at an unreasonable time I dont see an issue.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    OP...where do you propose to go if you cant do anything about the dog?

Its dramatics for the sake of it, youve got no legal standing over your neighbours or the dog. If the dog is on private property tough luck.

If they bring the dog out on the road, you may have some joy by complaining that they may not have a license kr the dog on a lead/muzzle other than that, grin and bare it.

Nearly all dogs are possesive of there property and territory so barking is to be expected, again, if its not at an unreasonable time I dont see an issue.

But is your boundary not a vertical line at wall.

His head is over the line - not his property. I've seen old ladies into 80s almost get a heart attack.

Yet the attitude here is it is his property "a dog". :eek::rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

But is your boundary not a vertical line at wall.

His head is over the line - not his property. I've seen old ladies into 80s almost get a heart attack.

Yet the attitude here is it is his property "a dog". :eek::rolleyes:

Your attitude stinks OP, you're talking about putting a dog down rather than approaching the owner, cut the cowardly excuses, go over and have a reasonable conversation with your neighbour! You'll get nowhere until you at least take that step!

Danjamin1 wrote: »
    Your attitude stinks OP, you're talking about putting a dog down rather than approaching the owner, cut the cowardly excuses, go over and have a reasonable conversation with your neighbour! You'll get nowhere until you at least take that step!

I know neighbour - you don't.

There are many in area would get neighbour taken away too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I hope wherever you go OP the neighbours like you and dont look to get you put down.

I've no issue with responsible dog owners.

I'd have an issue with responsible ones defending irresponsible ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

So did the dog serve in WW2 or maybe his father or grandad did im struggling to find the connection, maybe he was in intelligence or a spy.......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Granted you say the neighbour is of questionable character, but all people are saying is that you should take reasonable steps to try and address it with them directly before going down the reporting & potential prosecution route. If they tell you to f**k off then so be it but you should at least try to approach them first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

OP, you've mentioned something like this several times. I can't help wondering if you're projecting a bit? From what you're saying, every single person who walks by nearly dies from fear of this dog. I think given your over exaggeration on your posts, it's difficult to take them seriously. If you had posted saying that the neighbours dog is making a racket and it's disturbing the kids naps or disturbing quiet or the neighbours were generally being unreasonable about the dog, you would have gotten more appropriate responses. As it stands however, your hyperbole isn't doing you any favours. You won't talk to your neighbour, you won't do anything suggested. I think you just want people to agree that the dog should be put down, but people aren't going to say that because it's a complete over reaction.

I've no issue with responsible dog owners.

I'd have an issue with responsible ones defending irresponsible ones.

No, you just seem to have an issue with people not agreeing with you. I think all suggestions made here were helpful....just not what you wanted to hear.

• Advertisement

sup_dude wrote: »
    OP, you've mentioned something like this several times. I can't help wondering if you're projecting a bit? From what you're saying, every single person who walks by nearly dies from fear of this dog. I think given your over exaggeration on your posts, it's difficult to take them seriously. If you had posted saying that the neighbours dog is making a racket and it's disturbing the kids naps or disturbing quiet or the neighbours were generally being unreasonable about the dog, you would have gotten more appropriate responses. As it stands however, your hyperbole isn't doing you any favours. You won't talk to your neighbour, you won't do anything suggested. I think you just want people to agree that the dog should be put down, but people aren't going to say that because it's a complete over reaction.

About 10 % - but is 1% acceptable if a lady pushing her trolley to the shop ?

Not a pet (IMO) :)

DOGSWW2_1_2.jpg

Ah FFS, you're only taking the mick now.

Reported.

About 10 % - but is 1% acceptable if a lady pushing her trolley to the shop ?

Not a pet (IMO) :)

You say this on a forum mostly frequented by pet owners?

Ah FFS, you're only taking the mick now.

Reported.

Why , that is why it reminds me of WW2.

Some of the posts above have a bark in them .

TheChizler wrote: »
    You say this on a forum mostly frequented by pet owners?

Yes feel it is wrong forum.

May get a more centered view on A/H.

• Advertisement

I can google image too....
    article-2045816-0E3D50E300000578-190_634x431.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭_davidsmith_

In fairness i think a dog in a gas mask would freak me out too, maybe contact the dspca about the gasmask, dog probably doesnt like it............the horse on the other hand he seems to be having a ball

Your not going in the lift with that.

Ok lads - a joke.

Sorry - but issue a nightmare - neighbours worse.

Just surprised a dog can do that , every day for 2 hours , on own.
    Then the humans are at it for 2 hours from 2 to 4.
    Honestly these people can't look after kids.

I think the type of dog it is - is an issue.

This is a the Pets and animals forum. Piss taking like you're at now is better placed in AH or Ranting and Raving.

You've lost whatever little credibility you might have had at the start.

And what's this "reminds me of WWII" craic? Are you Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses or what? If you have a 3 yr old child, which I am now beginning to doubt also, you are hardly of the agegroup to have experienced the war. Therefore how could it possibly remind you of something you never experienced?

This is down right messing now :mad:

This is a the Pets and animals forum. Piss taking like you're at now is better placed in AH or Ranting and Raving.

And what's this "reminds me of WWII" craic? Are you Uncle Albert from Only Fools and Horses or what? If you have a 3 yr old child, which I am now beginning to doubt also, you are hardly of the agegroup to have experienced the war. Therefore how could it possibly remind you of something you never experienced?

Ok - I accepet wrong forum , I'm finding that out now.

I'll move on - can you not have fun on a serious topic - it is a forum :eek:

Anyway - I'll move to A/H.

But is a serious issue.

Thanks for all the feedback - off to become friends with it.
    Bloke in work told me what he would do ---- now that is wrong.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Closed pending review.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Chemical Byrne,
    Please desist from back-seat moderating. Leave the moderating to the mods after reporting a post.
    OP, this is not a mickey-taking forum, and many of your posts are designed to flame other posters, which you'll know having read the rules before you posted is against the rules.
    There's no point in re-opening this thread. It's a mess.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement