Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple with six children killed in Palestine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

No
    Nodin wrote: »
    Undirected rage and desperation tend to be like that.

Uh oh, found a moral relativist. I subscribe to the controversial notion that stabbing a civilian is mean and wrong.

No
    wes wrote: »

Absolutely, in that case. I condemn that attack and the motives of the attacker completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

No
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    You're new to this Zionist PR lark then? Don't you know "call the anti-Zionists anti-Semites" line kinda ran out of steam about 1950?
    I always find it entertaining that the very first people in every thread about Israel to conflate Zionism and the Jewish race are Zionists, not the supposed anti-Semites then are ineptly trying to smear.

I'm not jewish, i'm not israeli, i'm not religious in any form, and i certainly don't believe in a gods chosen land or some other nonsense, so this whole zionist label is is bit silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Uh oh, found a moral relativist. I subscribe to the controversial notion that stabbing a civilian is mean and wrong.

If they are a civilian, yes, its rather more than "mean". However you don't seem to take on board that treating a population like second class citizens (as is the case in Arab East Jerusalem and the West Bank) is eventually going to produce angry, desperate and bitter people.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    I'm not jewish, i'm not israeli, i'm not religious in any form, and i certainly don't believe in a gods chosen land or some other nonsense, so this whole zionist label is is bit silly.

Would you care to respond?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97362183&postcount=555

• Advertisement

Did you just delete a post that responded to a man being stabbed with the statement "o great, theres ikea in Israel"?

No
    If they are a civilian, yes, its rather more than "mean". However you don't seem to take on board that treating a population like second class citizens (as is the case in Arab East Jerusalem and the West Bank) is eventually going to produce angry, desperate and bitter people.
    Doesn't make a stabbing ok.

Likewise a knacker throwing a brick throw my car window isn't excusable because he grew up in an underpriveledged neighbourhood.

If a soldier shoots a child knowing its a child and unarmed, then thats inexcusable. If a palestinian stabs an israeli civilian, then its inexcusable.

No
    Did you just delete a post that responded to a man being stabbed with the statement "o great, theres ikea in Israel"?

Yes, as it was a bit unsavoury on reflection.

What do you gain by making comment on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'll admit nothing as i do not believe they are wrong on every side. They're not perfect either though.
    "mussie" hatred has nothing to do with it, and the inference of rascism is insulting, kindly stop.
    I am atheist, and i count among my friends a muslim (current partners ex-husband), christians, etc. Whatever brand of sky-wizard you adhere to, i could care less.

Well the problem is that there are several high ranking individuals who control the military that believe Israel is a "holy land" and that a particular tribe are "God's chosen people". Now unless we cut out this BS then there's going to be all sorts of stupid bloody acts committed in the name of the sky wizard. I do care about people's beliefs when they happen to run one of the most powerful armies in the world.

No

Even if you try rationalise these kind of indiscriminate attacks, the fact is that when either side has nothing but hatred for one another, where a Jew or Muslim is dehumanised by their attacker to the point that their life must be ended, we have to try find a solution or ask the international community to help bring rational leaders on both sides to the bargaining table.

The path that is opening up right now, as any hope of peace dims every day, is for another offensive in Gaza. Hamas are encouraging a third intifada that will further ruin the lives of Palestinians and radicalise another generation. When either side is being encouraged to indiscriminately attack the other by their leaders, the worst thing the rest of us can do is try justify their actions, thus encouraging the hopeless cycle of violence that is currently playing out.

• Advertisement

Yes, as it was a bit unsavoury on reflection.

What do you gain by making comment on it?

That your attitude is less than impartial when it comes to violence. Doubtless had somebody made such a flippant remark re a Palestinian attacker and an Israeli victim, we'd hear rather a different tone.

Would you care to get back to me on this post?

Even if you try rationalise these kind of indiscriminate attacks, the fact is that when either side has nothing but hatred for one another, where a Jew or Muslim is dehumanised by their attacker to the point that their life must be ended, we have to try find a solution or ask the international community to help bring rational leaders on both sides to the bargaining table..

Israel is in the driving seat, has US protection and is not going to be convinced to stop as a result.
    The path that is opening up right now, as any hope of peace dims every day, is for another offensive in Gaza. Hamas are encouraging a third intifada that will further ruin the lives of Palestinians and radicalise another generation. When either side is being encouraged to indiscriminately attack the other by their leaders, the worst thing the rest of us can do is try justify their actions, thus encouraging the hopeless cycle of violence that is currently playing out.

These incidents are not occurring in Gaza, and any link to Hamas is tenous.

What radicalises each generation is Israeli occupation and colonisation, not Hamas.

No
    That your attitude is less than impartial when it comes to violence. Doubtless had somebody made such a flippant remark re a Palestinian attacker and an Israeli victim, we'd hear rather a different tone.

Would you care to get back to me on this post?

You'd actually hear more or less the same. I don't like Ikea. Place is full of bargain basement crap (there are a few nice bits, but its mostly not.)

Ok. I do not know what the sniper saw through his scope. I do not know how the youths were behaving.
    All of these deaths were in the course of doing something else, e.g: containing a protest, locating a rocket crew etc. They were caused in very different circumstances than the stabbing of the settler family who were stabbed by someone out to stab someone, anyone.
    I'm not saying that one side has to justify innocence while the other does not. What i am saying is that there is a difference between accidental death and indiscriminate death.

No
    Israel is in the driving seat, has US protection and is not going to be convinced to stop as a result.

Israel always stops when international outcry reaches a certain volume. If they wanted to, they could flatten Palestinian territories tomorrow.
    These incidents are not occurring in Gaza, and any link to Hamas is tenous.

They're not happening in Gaza because no Jew would last a day in Gaza. I'm saying that the stabbing incidents are being openly encouraged by the likes of Hamas, who are obviously extremely influential and can only 'govern' through ensuring their population is always angry and therefore easier to control.
    What radicalises each generation is Israeli occupation and colonisation, not Hamas.

Hopelessness is a huge factor to radicalisation. As each generation has become more radicalised (yes, through Israel's actions in many cases) we've reached a point where I don't believe any Palestinian leader will ever make a deal for a two-state solution. Even if they wanted to, it would never be accepted by extremists within the population and they'd be pressured into walking away from such a deal.

You'd actually hear more or less the same. I don't like Ikea. Place is full of bargain basement crap (there are a few nice bits, but its mostly not.)

Ok. I do not know what the sniper saw through his scope. I do not know how the youths were behaving.
    All of these deaths were in the course of doing something else, e.g: containing a protest, locating a rocket crew etc. They were caused in very different circumstances than the stabbing of the settler family who were stabbed by someone out to stab someone, anyone.
    I'm not saying that one side has to justify innocence while the other does not. What i am saying is that there is a difference between accidental death and indiscriminate death.

No, I think it would have been rather different.

So you presume innocence on the part of the sniper, some guilt on the part of the children, despite their age and locations, but presume innocence on the part of the settlers and state - bizarrely - that they were the victim of an "indiscriminate" attack? Dear o dear.

Cruel coin wrote:
    Then give me examples that don't just paint the profile of "ebil jew"..

What post, remark or link provided led to that remark? Please be specific.

Israel always stops when international outcry reaches a certain volume. If they wanted to, they could flatten Palestinian territories tomorrow..

Do they stop the checkpoints, raids, once a week or so killings, countless beatings, torture, arrest and imprisonment, acts of settler violence, land confiscation and settlement building and expansion stop? No, they plough on regardless.
    They're not happening in Gaza because no Jew would last a day in Gaza. I'm saying that the stabbing incidents are being openly encouraged by the likes of Hamas, who are obviously extremely influential and can only 'govern' through ensuring their population is always angry and therefore easier to control..

Fatah are the largest support Palestinian organisation. The population is angry because of the conditions in the OT, details of which I linked earlier in the thread.

No
    No, I think it would have been rather different.

So you presume innocence on the part of the sniper, some guilt on the part of the children, despite their age and locations, but presume innocence on the part of the settlers and state - bizarrely - that they were the victim of an "indiscriminate" attack? Dear o dear.

What post, remark or link provided led to that remark? Please be specific.

You don't think the stabbing of that family was indiscriminate?

Lets expand that: If a rocket is fired blindly towards civilian areas, do you think thats indiscriminate?
    If a missile is fired towards a suspected arms dump, is that indiscriminate?
    I think yes and no in that order.

The combination of your provided links, all of which point to israeli consequence without bothering their hole to mention cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The IDF who did the forcible ejections are military targets, but the dude who moves in and plonks his arse on a sofa is not. Since when are settlers military personel?

By moving in and plonking their arse on a sofa, they are directly enabling the military colonisation of Palestinian land. And they know this full well when they choose to do it. You're not going to claim that any settler is ignorant of the face that their quarters come at the expense of some family who was kicked out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

His first tactic is "attack the poster not the post", sometimes I think he doesn't even bother reading your post before replying. You'll get used to it.

Oh and this is Nodin's regular tactic, you'll get used to that too.

Sorry, but where or when was "Jew" brought into it?

The word "Jew" is almost always brought into these debates as a straw man, by pro-Zionists attempting to paint pro-Palestinians as racists.

Let's be clear: Most of us have no problem with settlers because they're Jews. In fact, most of us have no problem with settlers because they're Israeli. Most of us have a problem with settlers because they're settlers.

• Advertisement

Likewise a knacker throwing a brick throw my car window isn't excusable because he grew up in an underpriveledged neighbourhood.

What if he threw the brick at your car because it used to be his car, and you took it from him by force with the help of some well-armed thugs?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The word "Jew" is almost always brought into these debates as a straw man, by pro-Zionists attempting to paint pro-Palestinians as racists.

Let's be clear: Most of us have no problem with settlers because they're Jews. In fact, most of us have no problem with settlers because they're Israeli. Most of us have a problem with settlers because they're settlers.
    Precisely. If it was a band of Paddies decided they owned a few million acres of the middle east because some sky fairy said so and they set up a state with racist citizenship laws, they'd equally be land grabbing supremacist criminals.

No

Oh and this is Nodin's regular tactic, you'll get used to that too.

I noticed that. Tends to get a bit quote salady around here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

I noticed that. Tends to get a bit quote salady around here.
    Says he quoting his new best mate's post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    More on-topic discussion and less talking about each other. Thanks.

No
    Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Says he quoting his new best mate's post.

Sorry, i meant "link" salad.

The whole "can you give a link for that" ruins discussion.

No
    What if he threw the brick at your car because it used to be his car, and you took it from him by force with the help of some well-armed thugs?

In this particular imaginary scenario, there is no car stolen, as the old car was crushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

No
    https://twitter.com/DanWilliams/status/653923381008535552
    Between news updates on Palestinian violence, Israel's @Channel2News airs tips on fending off a stabbing attack...

No
    biko wrote: »

Why do they get that, and i don't get a "how to fend off copper thieves" slot? Not fair.

(seriously though, terrible that its at that stage)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,893 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Even if you try rationalise these kind of indiscriminate attacks, the fact is that when either side has nothing but hatred for one another, where a Jew or Muslim is dehumanised by their attacker to the point that their life must be ended, we have to try find a solution or ask the international community to help bring rational leaders on both sides to the bargaining table.

Usually pro-Israeli guff that excuses their crimes. Your post has done nothing to look at what is going on. It's a roll your eyes to the sky job.

"Isn't it terrible, they hate each other, sure what can you do".

Why not look at the conditions that have created the current situation, i.e. the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians?

If it wasn't so serious it'd be funny that posters here talk about Palestinians hating Israelis. Wtf do you expect after seventy years of Zionist terrorism?

Advertisement