Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weather App: current location is wrong

• 02-10-2015 9:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

I have been having the Weather App by MacroPinch on my Sony Z3c since I bought the phone.
    I had set the current position option on, so that I could have the forecasts for the place I am.
    Some days ago I went from my town (A) to another town (B), the App followed me, but when I came back home the current position was still town B. I haven't been able to reset it to the place where I live. I switched the option off and on several times, to no avail.
    The GPS is active and working, all other functions are OK.
    I also sent many messages to MacroPinch, but got no reply.
    Any hint?
    Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It actually could be something to do with the mobile phone network, not your actual phone.

If your phone is connecting to a cell tower some distance away, it's using that as a quick location. GPS tends to take a long time to get a lock, so phones use the cell towers for reference.

That could be one explanation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

The other thing it could be is that there is a rogue wifi network nearby. Google drives around and maps the location of wifi networks (by name only I think). Your phone can also determine your location from that data (i.e. what pattern of wifi networks it can see).

This has the strange effect of transporting me to the Singapore last week while I was on the same train as someone else who had set up a portable hotspot or something.

Only when I got a GPS lock and switched off wifi location temporarily, was the situation resolved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    It actually could be something to do with the mobile phone network, not your actual phone.

If your phone is connecting to a cell tower some distance away, it's using that as a quick location. GPS tends to take a long time to get a lock, so phones use the cell towers for reference.

That could be one explanation.

I think this could be true if town A and town B were at a certain close distance. In fact town A and B are about 180 km away.
    If the phone locks on a cell tower, it has many others but mine, rather than locking on a tower out of range.

The other thing it could be is that there is a rogue wifi network nearby. Google drives around and maps the location of wifi networks (by name only I think). Your phone can also determine your location from that data (i.e. what pattern of wifi networks it can see).

This problem happens when I'm home (with my own wifi network), at work (where the wifi network is password protected and I haven't it), or walking, passing by other networks or not.
    It's been a week since I am getting the weather forecasts for a place which is not mine :)
    Only when I got a GPS lock and switched off wifi location temporarily, was the situation resolved.

I have switched off and on the wifi, data and BT on my phone. Nothing changed... right now it's pouring rain over here, the phone says partly cloudy because this is what's going on in town B :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I use 1weather and it does the same thing. It updates the weather but not the location.

• Advertisement

I think I solved the problem.
    I have deleted all App data and cleared the cache and this restored the current location.
    It came with a cost, though. I had other locations that I saved and that I used to check their weather every now and then, and they were deleted as well.
    I recalled them from the world database.
    Let's see what happens next :D

I think I solved the problem.

No, I did not!
    When I cleared the cache and data of the App I was at work, the location was changed from town B to the location where I work, but when I went back home to town A the App kept showing the weather for the town where I was a few minutes before...
    I sent another message to the developer, but they don't answer back!

Advertisement