Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bollards near new school - Carrickpherish Road

Options
  • 02-10-2015 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain to me the logic of those new white bollards on the Carrickpherish Road at the new school?

They are on the actual lane of the road (in a few inches from the edge of the lane) and on both sides of the road in the same place so the road is narrowed in the 3 places that the bollards are.

I travel the road every day and have met trucks in this spot and it is fairly tight.

I have also been behind a string of traffic there and the first car keeps out to avoid the bollards and the second car, not aware of the bollards, has to swerve at the last minute to avoid them

I can't see any logic too them and surely there should be a sign warning that they are coming up.

Definitely going to cause any accident.

They can't be to slow traffic for the school as they are completely ineffective at doing this.

Before anyone asks I have already contacted Waterford City Council about this but they haven't bothered to respond to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Absolutely ridiculous placement. As for the WCC contacting you! They do no wrong and are answerable to no one!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭hdl

Agree, absolutely ridiculous idea. And I can understand why people are having to swerve at the last minute to avoid them, they're practically the same colour as the road, so you don't see them til you're on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

hdl wrote: »
    they're practically the same colour as the road.

There white! The road is black.

They slow down traffic! whats the problem! id prefer these then speed bumps.
    And i think they are totally needed because the speed that some people drive down that road at it is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭lassykk

There white! The road is black.

They slow down traffic! whats the problem! id prefer these then speed bumps.
    And i think they are totally needed because the speed that some people drive down that road at it is mental.

But they don't really slow down traffic as no one knows they are there until you are on top of them as there is no warning for them. Ramps, which are very frustrating are generally safer as there is a warning sign up that you are approaching them

So, as I see most days... Cars speed down to them, panic as the road narrows and then slam on the brakes causing a chain reaction behind them. Alternatively they swerve to avoid them out to the other side of the road.

So that's two problems in response to query about what the problem is!

I don't disagree that people travel too fast but what's the point in putting up bollards which narrow the lane without any warning. It's going to cause a crash, if it hasn't already.

Happy for some form of traffic calming to be put in especially with the school there now but this is a ridiculous effort even by Waterford Council standards

Edit - The bollards are white and the road markings that they are beside them are also white so I think that is what the other poster was alluding to. They blend in with the road markings and not the road itself.

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Fair enough i sort of agree with that but i still think something is needed to slow down drivers. There are up a few weeks now so most people should be well aware of them. Do you agree?

Also even with the bollards, and driving below the speed limit, parents still this is totally ok to run out in front of you to get there kids to school.
    Id prefer to crash into a car then hit a kid on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

I noticed this morning that 1 of these bollards has been cut down a stump about 2 inches high. Don't know if a motorist drove into it and swept it off or did someone take a knife to it.

Fair enough i sort of agree with that but i still think something is needed to slow down drivers. There are up a few weeks now so most people should be well aware of them. Do you agree?

Also even with the bollards, and driving below the speed limit, parents still this is totally ok to run out in front of you to get there kids to school.
    Id prefer to crash into a car then hit a kid on the road.

I fully agree with you on the point that something is needed to slow the traffic. Most people being aware of something that is dangerous doesn't make it safe. I was away for 3 weeks so only saw them for the first time this week and there are plenty of people who travel the road infrequently who wouldn't be aware of them.

If there was advance warning that the road narrows or that the lanes are restricted then I'd have less of a problem with them. I would still think they are very poorly thought out though.

I thankfully avoid the school traffic with the hours I work so can't say I've noticed the kids at school times but I would agree with you that it is of course better to hit a car than a child. But, it is better again to hit neither which would be far more likely if a better thought out traffic calming measure was put in place.

I noticed this morning that 1 of these bollards has been cut down a stump about 2 inches high. Don't know if a motorist drove into it and swept it off or did someone take a knife to it.

I was wondering how solid they were. Not too solid I guess!

It must have happened after I had passed this morning as I didn't cop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

They're pointless if there's no warning in advance to get people to slow down, as others have said people just panic when they see them. Cars will fit through comfortably in both directions though, so not really sure what the point of them is? Ramps or Birmingham-esque chicanes would be far more effective if they want to slow traffic down going past the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

I use that road most mornings....
    its an accident waiting to happen..... someone going to swerve too much for one of them and into the other lane at the wrong time....

having them up with no warning is just plain stupid....

there are much better options to slow the cars down, without resorting to speed bumps....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I thought i saw a warning sign coming from the Genzyme side was that not for the bollards?

robtri wrote: »
    there are much better options to slow the cars down, without resorting to speed bumps....

Like what???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Too narrow I Saw an ambulance clip least a dozen of these having to avoid an on oncoming artic...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭insullation

To make matters worse the lollipop lady parks her car every morning right at the crossing point where she assists kids across the road. The result is that if you are coming from Genzyme you can't see her coming off the foot path and she is on the road in front of you as you have no way of seeing her as she standing in front of her car. Nobody should be allowed park close to the crossing....surely she should know better....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Like what???

Chicanes, traffic islands, lower speed limits past schools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

i do think passive traffic calming methods like these work very effectively. speed bumps are just wrecking cars even though do work well at slowing cars down. these bollards are deadly and must go.

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »

Exactly...
    up in dublin had the chicanes near me, beside Darndale, worked great they did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I think they are a good idea as the speed which people drive on that road is unreal. Before the bollards, people would easily do 100 from the school to the roundabout near Genzyme. However I do agree the warnings are needed because I did get a bit of a shock the first time I saw it. Its a shame so many spoilt children are getting ferried right to the main door of schools all over Waterford, no wonder children are so obese when Mammy and Daddy insist on driving them everywhere. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Mammy and Daddy usually drive them there out of safety concerns!

What kind of safety concerns ? If you are less than a mile or two from school then you should be walking and not clogging up the traffic like so many parents do these days practically carrying little Mary or John to the blackboard. It causes stressful traffic delays, fat children and needless hysteria about all the dangers out there. I know one mother who drives her daughter to school and it's only s five minute walk! It boggles the mind. I have a kid myself and he walks to school it's a 25 min walk there and back and it keeps him active and mobile each day. A bit of common sense would go a long way to these precious parents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

What kind of safety concerns ? If you are less than a mile or two from school then you should be walking and not clogging up the traffic like so many parents do these days practically carrying little Mary or John to the blackboard. It causes stressful traffic delays, fat children and needless hysteria about all the dangers out there. I know one mother who drives her daughter to school and it's only s five minute walk! It boggles the mind. I have a kid myself and he walks to school it's a 25 min walk there and back and it keeps him active and mobile each day. A bit of common sense would go a long way to these precious parents.

Dont think you will find many kids named Mary or John these days!,and you're exaggerating a bit about the amount of fat kids,you walk your kid to school,other people drive theirs,mind your own business and dont worry about it :)

^ Thanks for telling me what opinions to have, Ill reject them if thats all the same with you. And yes, there are lots and lots of fat children in town, and parents who ferry their kids the 200 metres to and from school are not helping the situation. And i dont walk my son to school he walks himself, he has been doing it for years now and not once has anything happened to him because he knows common sense and how to obey traffic signals. A rare breed in kids these days sadly.

medical forum .... that way.....
    this is about the bollards not fat kids..... and there are a lot of them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Passed by here they are really dangerous, out over the while line is a complete joke.

Anyone know who I can contact and annoy until they are removed....

Passed by here they are really dangerous, out over the while line is a complete joke.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

I rang the Waterford city council Road department twice and the lady who answered asked me my query and when I explained she said the person who dealt with such things wasn't there and they would ring me back. Shockingly they didn't!

Contacted the general WCC email and back saying:
    I acknowledge receipt of your email and will forward same to the Roads Section.
    Regards

I have no issue with the bollards but they need to be moved behind the white line.

If somebody was speeding there they could easily be in a serious accident because of them, I nearly missed them the first time I passed.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

If somebody was speeding there they could easily be in a serious accident because of them

Seriously??? We should move traffic calming just in case someone breaks the speed limit?

Seriously??? We should move traffic calming just in case someone breaks the speed limit?

Yes if they are in a dangerous position and inside the designed with of the carriageway.

I have no problem with them but just how they are positioned on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Passed by these today and yeah they are lethal. I thought maybe people were exaggerating but nope they are dangerous. Also agree about lots of kids being fat.....laziness is creeping in fast in both kids and parents and they are alot of fat folks around the place.

Advertisement