Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will only get worse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Paypal employ a lot of grunt operatives (exactly what I do so not giving out :pac:) on average wages so I wouldn't worry that the 50K a year techies are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

wait, havent we been here only a few short years ago?! Fantastic effort from the government, wont reduce build costs, wont provide proper transport for dublin or surrounding region, which would make commuting far more feasible and allow major amounts of new housing to be built, wont reduce minimum sizes and planning wont allow medium - high rise. A brilliant recipe... True visionaries, funny how some vision appears a few months before an election, then dissapears for 5 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I know Intel used to own a few houses in maynooth/leixlip that new employees could stay in for up to a. Month and employees visiting the site from abroad could also stay in if it was free so they didn't have to stay in a hotel. Think they've sold them all now but would be an idea if paypal were really bringing in that many people/ families over the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I read about the Brazilian girl that is leaving Dublin, could literally afford a kip here for E700, students, single's, couples there are so many, that would love their own place. Get rid of the stupid 55 sq m minimum rule, forget parking for every apartment, if developers wont build, because it isnt profitable and this is the case with a lot of them, government wont reduce build costs. I really dont see the issue with smaller well built units, if people deem they are too small, stay put, dont move there...

The idiots making these rules, are on money where they can worry about what aspect their 4/5 semi d in south county dublin should be!

Its funny what they deem acceptable. Against Medium - tall buildings in Dublin for no valid reason? yes. Appalling build quality, insane rents? acceptable. Ridiculous commute to get somewhere affordable? acceptable.

Whats not acceptable, a large amount of well built units, where people want to be in i.e. in Dublin, city centre primarily... Imagine the numbers you could house in several areas around the city, with 10-12 storey blocks of these units, on good transport links, i.e. near luas or dart etc...

A friend who has just moved in with me, her rent was E1,000 a month on a one bed in Sandyford, the landlord has now increased it to E1400, which is fine, its probably market rent, in that definition of "its fine" but is it not off the wall E1400 for a 1 bed in Sandyford!!!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is no doubt that a major housing crisis is gripping Dublin. Rents are in many cases simply extortionate - a symptom of pure greed - and people can't afford to buy the very limited stock on the market due to the recent lending restrictions.

Something urgent needs to be done in the budget - a massive social housing programme is part of the solution to a very complex problem. Homes are urgently needed right now.

Help the needy and not the greedy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

JupiterKid wrote: »
    There is no doubt that a major housing crisis is gripping Dublin. Rents are in many cases simply extortionate - a symptom of pure greed - and people can't afford to buy the very limited stock on the market due to the recent lending restrictions.

Something urgent needs to be done in the budget - a massive social housing programme is part of the solution to a very complex problem. Homes are urgently needed right now.

There are a whole lot of reasons why some people cannot afford to live in Dublin but bare in mind that the girl could live comfortably outside Dublin. All capitol cities are more expensive than other parts of the country. For many "greedy" landlords, rents are still not covering mortgage repayments/maintenance fees/insurance. Right now the market is setting the rental rates, there is huge demand and short supply, no matter what the commodity, those circumstances lead to inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Greed from the government approx 50% tax on gross rent

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I'm not opining that all landlords are greedy but certainly quite a few are. Yes, the economics of supply and demand are dictating the rental market but a major problem that I see are too many low income tenants on rent allowance and the RAS scheme clogging up the rental sector when they should be housed in social housing.

Launch a massive programme of social housing and this will take pressure off the private rented sector. Also, we need to question the schemes that enable those on low incomes to purchase houses when evidence suggests that in many cases they end up really struggling to make mortgage repayments.

Either way, we need a robust social housing programme and we need it now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

And stop all these peole getting handy cheap rent houses

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I'm not opining that all landlords are greedy but certainly quite a few are. Yes, the economics of supply and demand are dictating the rental market but a major problem that I see are too many low income tenants on rent allowance and the RAS scheme clogging up the rental sector when they should be housed in social housing.

Launch a massive programme of social housing and this will take pressure off the private rented sector. Also, we need to question the schemes that enable those on low incomes to purchase houses when evidence suggests that in many cases they end up really struggling to make mortgage repayments.

Either way, we need a robust social housing programme and we need it now.

So the answer is to hand out free houses to everyone or just those who dont work ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

There is another way to look at this. Paypal set up their business in Ireland, then actively interview and offer to foreign nationals living abroad, then give out when they can't get houses. This is adding to the housing crisis by importing demand, rather than employ people already living in Ireland.

I understand, as I was in this position myself, that when you need skills and especially language skills, its not always easy to find that in Ireland, but this is simply increasing demand. In a global world they could easily set up a few small offices in Europe, but instead chose to centralise here for the tax breaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I do love the way many say that moving outside Dublin is the answer to renting in Dublin.

I will tell you my own experience.

I worked in Dublin in a start up. To get ahead in these types of companies you need to put in the hours, no if's and's or but's. My day would be 08:00 until about 18:30 or later. It was needed and it was the norm.

I then had a commute of about 1.5hrs each way each day. This means I was not home till 20:00 every night.

I didn't live far away, 73KM by my distance clock in my car.
    My travel was on a semi decent line, train from home to Dublin, then Luas, then 2 min walk.

Problem for a lot of people if the type of job they do will dictate where they can live, I have loads of friends and family who work in big data companies like google etc, where the working norm is 19:00 most night, I know they live in small houses but as they say, if they move out they may aswel just stay in a B+B during the week.

Instead of complaining about moving houses out, why not speak with companies to move main operations out of Dublin. Look at big pharma companies who move to places like Sligo, Clonmel and Galway.
    We do need more housing in Dublin that isnt a ripoff. Simple as that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Well it's not just Dublin, rents across a significant chunk of the country are achieving historic levels.
    Rents hit an all-time high according to CSO
    ?width=594&version=2377599

Advertisement