Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paying a live person

Options
  • 02-10-2015 11:10am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭

I though bord gais, or any company, were not allowed to have a 'live' staff member* take a payment over phone now due to data protection. I know someone who paid a live person. No issue with it just curious

* As distinct from the recording which allows one to pay bill

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

JonJones wrote: »
    I though bord gais, or any company, were not allowed to have a 'live' staff member* take a payment over phone now due to data protection. I know someone who paid a live person. No issue with it just curious

* As distinct from the recording which allows one to pay bill

I know of another company who changed all their internal systems about 3/4 years ago for the same reason, but then went back to the old way about 18 months ago. No idea whether this had anything to do with law or was their own decision. They also currently have live people taking payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Eflow still do it but you have to key in the CVV number yourself on the phone and tell the card number to the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

davo2001 wrote: »
    Eflow still do it but you have to key in the CVV number yourself on the phone and tell the card number to the person.

Yes, that's what the company I'm talking about changed to, but then they went back to the customer physically telling the telephonist the CVV on the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

So long as the details were collected for and handled in accordance with the DPC's guidelines then there's unlikely to be any data protection issue.
    https://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/08-01-08-Guidance-Note-for-Data-Controllers-on-Purpose-Limitation-and-Retention-in-relation-to-Credit-Debit-Charge-card-transactions-/581.htm
    The risk comes where internal procedures are so slack that card details are left scribbled on notepads, post-its, etc.

Companies may have a policy of not letting staff handle card payments over the phone but I don't think there's any regulation prohibiting it, otherwise many small businesses would be in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

When taking payment details over a phone, the details should be entered on a virtual terminal by the operator and no details taken down or recorded on paper form.

You will find when you give payment details over the phone, payment is confirmed immediately.

Once the operator presses "confirm" payment details are deleted from local system and only the name and last 4 digits are visible. If you wnated to make an extra payment, even immediately afterwards, all details would have to be repeated.

And if above applies to me in a smallish business, you can be fairly certain it applies to large business.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

When trying to pay online they got

Error 505

You cannot use this service from there
    []. Please contact the merchant.

Anyone know what this means

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

As it says contact the merchant, e.g Bord Gais. It's a problem at their end.

Advertisement