Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No space left

• 02-10-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

4S 8GB and struggling with space issues. 293MB available after deleting pretty much all non essential apps (only have 11 in use) and photo album only has 110 photos in it (123MB). Biggest user is Mail (327MB) but can't delete that.

I've deleted all messages in Messenger, WhatsApp, normal texts, no videos stored.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

What iOS are you running? Did you empty the Recently Deleted folder in your Photos app?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

doubledown wrote: »
    What iOS are you running? Did you empty the Recently Deleted folder in your Photos app?

7.1.2 and had to stop at that as it always tells me i don't have enough memory to upgrade. I don't have the "recently deleted" folder as I think that comes with version 8 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

anniehoo wrote: »
    7.1.2 and had to stop at that as it always tells me i don't have enough memory to upgrade. I don't have the "recently deleted" folder as I think that comes with version 8 :o

Fair enough. If you have a laptop, PC or Mac you could download the update through iTunes and then install it to the phone.

Also, check your Settings, General, Usage and wait for the list of apps to load, if you haven't done so already. This will tell you exactly how much space each app is using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What mail are you using?

Using gmail (and it's all cloud based so takes up nothing on the phone).

jkwxmw.png

Email is gmail based but through Mail (which can't be deleted) rather than the actual Gmail app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jkwxmw.png

Email is gmail based but through Mail (which can't be deleted) rather than the actual Gmail app.

Check what some of the Apps are taking up themselves, size wise, apart from their content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

jkwxmw.png

OK, but you could delete the account and just use the gmail app and also see what's so big on your gmail that's taking up so much space.

I would also upgrade to iOS9 as it might take up less space.

dude upgrade treat yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

I had that problem with an IPad.

Fix was to change the date forward a year - then back to normal time. Issue with deleted files not being deleted immediately (some security guy is going to love that feature).

you can also use iFunbox from a pc to browse into an iphone see what the big files are- that's how I found out all the deleted photos were still just sitting there intact on the ipad; just not visible on the phone (you don't need to be jailbroke to use this tool).

The latest IOS is supposed to be smaller by a few gigs - so that might help to upgrade...

8G is a challenge though - consider installing google - it lets you upload photos to the cloud so you can delete them - unlimited number as long as you don't mind a little loss in quality.

“Roll it back”

ozmo wrote: »

Fix was to change the date forward a year - then back to normal time. Issue with deleted files not being deleted immediately (some security guy is going to love that feature).

Tried that no joy!

wrote:
    The latest IOS is supposed to be smaller by a few gigs - so that might help to upgrade...
    Tried this via iTunes on the PC and it won't let me upgrade...due to not enough space. This is soooooo frustrating :(
    wrote:
    8G is a challenge though - consider installing google - it lets you upload photos to the cloud so you can delete them - unlimited number as long as you don't mind a little loss in quality.
    Yeah i'll try that thanks. Deleted my email account and have the Gmail app. Got a few hundred MBs back but back down to 75mb now with even less photos than I had a few days ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement