Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 9, Episode 3 - "Under the Lake"

• 02-10-2015 12:07pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

After the big-ticket season opener featuring Missy, the Daleks and Davros, this two parter feels like something a bit more standard; the typical Dr. Who base-under-siege story. I'll be honest, I always look forward to those and can't beat a little bit of spookiness too to up the atmosphere...

Annoyingly for those watching 'live', the time has changed again: it's on BBC1 at 8:25pm. Not that live TV watching is as relevant as it used to be I guess, still a bit weird they keep changing the time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

pixelburp wrote: »
    After the big-ticket season opener featuring Missy, the Daleks and Davros, this two parter feels like something a bit more standard; the typical Dr. Who base-under-siege story. I'll be honest, I always look forward to those and can't beat a little bit of spookiness too to up the atmosphere...

Annoyingly for those watching 'live', the time has changed again: it's on BBC1 at 8:25pm. Not that live TV watching is as relevant as it used to be I guess, still a bit weird they keep changing the time.

Looks like it might be a good one.

The second preview clip sees Capaldi slip into Fourth Doctor voice..it's pretty eerie how Baker-ish he sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I heard that all of this season are two-parters. Any truth to it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I heard that all of this season are two-parters. Any truth to it?

I think all bar two episodes are going to be two-parters; certainly tonight is the first of another duo, so expect another cliffhanger :)

Ooo that was brilliant.

spoilers!

I was wondering why doc and clara landed specifically 3 days after ... now we know why at the end, it's so they can jump out again into the past. usually can't. maybe they can jump back in again just beforehand? no fixed point thingys

made sense that the reason your man wasn't killed was because he hadn't seen the inside coordinates!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭jasonb

Good point about him not seeing the co-ordinates. But why did the leader keep refusing to let him into the ship, saying it wasn't safe even though everyone else was going in? Am I reading in to it too much, or does she know/suspect something?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

That was a great episode! probably one of my favourites of Capaldi series so far.

I laughed out loud when he read the card Clara gave him.

One of the other cards said

I completely understand why it was difficult not to get captured
    It was my fault, I should have known you didn't live in Aberdeen
    I didn't mean to imply that I don't care
    No one is going to get eaten/ vaporized/ exterminated/ upgraded/ possessed/ mortally wounded/ turned to jelly, we'll all get out of this unharmed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Thought that was much better than last weeks. A bit spooky, a good mystery and lots of laughs. The cards and the whole bit about why the Doctor doesn't have a radio were brilliant.

I also liked the brief scene where the Doctor was worried about Clara and her adventure seeking. I love when they manage to get those little character moments into the middle of a great big adventure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Much better than the first two episodes of the season, I think. Looking forward to the conclusion next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,126 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Okay, so we've established so far that they can walk through walls and can only pick up metal objects... ooh, I didn't know I noticed that..."

I f*cking love Capaldi's Doctor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"I'm very sorry for your loss. I'll do all I can, to solve the death of your … friend slash family member slash pet"
    :D

A very strong episode; really tight, well structured and pretty damn creepy. Loved the human characters as well, sympathetic and loveable without being overly goofy.

Perhaps didn't have the same emotional oomph that last weeks story had, but that was always going to be the case. And again, the splitting of the story into two parts gave characters more time to breath. The moment between Clara and the Doc in the TARDIS, himself worried Clara was getting a bit too like him, was excellent & a subtle reminder that the companions are supposed to help humanise the Doc, not be like him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

pixelburp wrote: »
    Perhaps didn't have the same emotional oomph that last weeks story had, but that was always going to be the case. And again, the splitting of the story into two parts gave characters more time to breath. The moment between Clara and the Doc in the TARDIS, himself worried Clara was getting a bit too like him, was excellent & a subtle reminder that the companions are supposed to help humanise the Doc, not be like him.

And yet it was also a nod to the fact that Clara's presence is humanising him. He needed the cards to help him deal with the others but he was aware of Clara's feelings and was worried about her all by himself.

Advertisement