Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Valley parkrun

Options
  • 02-10-2015 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭

The parkrun at Tramore Valley is on each & every Sat at 9.30am from now on. Kicked off last week with 300+ participants, bit of publicity in yesterday's Echo.

513lhe.jpg

Facebook
    Twitter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Himself went up to it last week and was delighted with it.. Great that it stays open when most of the races are finished around the place...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

FYI it's cancelled this Sat (Oct 10th) just in case anyone was thinking of heading along. More info here.

Happy to report we're back up and running this Sat (Oct 17th).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,271 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Where's the entrance? Is there parking on site? I drive down the road between the Kinsale Round-a-bout and the city each day but haven't noticed any signs.

It's the entrance to the recycling centre at the traffic lights as you head out of town towards the Kinsale road roundabout and there's plenty of parking on site. Also there's pedestrian/bicycle access via Half Moon Lane off the South Douglas Road.

All the info is on the parkrun Ireland website.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is there any other means of access to this new park. Is there any plans for pedestrian access? Seems a bit crap you have to drive to the park for a run..

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

BryanF wrote: »
    Is there any other means of access to this new park. Is there any plans for pedestrian access? Seems a bit crap you have to drive to the park for a run..

I was driving down the south Douglas Road and saw a sign for pedestrian access there, maybe 500m or so after the entrance to the link just past Turners Cross heading towards Douglas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

As mentioned a evolution, pedestrian entrance at Half Moon Lane on South Douglas Road. If you don't know where it is, then just use Google maps to find it. It is where the entrances to the ESB pitch and putt club and Christ the King girls secondary school are.

Exactly as Ludo said above, the city council staff open the gate at the end of Half Moon Lane for pedestrian/bike access just before 9am for the event & it's open 'til ~12:30pm.

Loads of photos from last Sat's event are on flickr if anyone wants to see what it's all about...

https://flic.kr/s/aHsknohQ1d

9qcoeb.jpg

• Advertisement

Just to let you know, the parkrun in Tramore Valley is cancelled for the foreseeable future :(
    Latest update from Cork City council is that parkrun at Tramore Valley is cancelled indefinitely due to access issues with the site. Needless to say we will continue to work with them in an effort to get it restarted but there's no set date by which we expect this to happen.

In the meantime please consider the other parkruns in Co. Cork, nearest one to the city is Castle Demense in Macroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Could they not just limit the number and do an online ticket system or email invite or something.They really don't know what they are doing.Has to be the most incompetent Council in the country.

Could they not just limit the number and do an online ticket system or email invite or something.They really don't know what they are doing.Has to be the most incompetent Council in the country.

Not sure who you mean by 'they' in the above, the council plays no part in the organisation as that's done by people who volunteer from the parkrun participants.

Also parkrun is designed to be free, open to all without any barriers to entry and without any of the connotations of a race.

If we could limit the numbers then it would satisfy the council fine but that's not possible while still being a parkrun. According to the master-plan for Tramore Valley it's supposed to handle events of up to 5,000 people so we've shown unfortunately that is not the case (max turnout was 530).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Is this site only opened for the run itself? Is it not just a pathway that can be run at any time?

I live in Edinburgh and there are two Park Runs within a 15 minute drive of my house.
    One is a bottleneck to get into but is quite scenic , the other is more through a park but has plenty of parking.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Is this site only opened for the run itself? Is it not just a pathway that can be run at any time?

The park isn't actually open yet & I haven't seen a date for the official opening. They don't stop people jogging around there but there's no pedestrian access normally so you have to drive into the place which is also open as a recycling centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

opus wrote: »
    The park isn't actually open yet & I haven't seen a date for the official opening. They don't stop people jogging around there but there's no pedestrian access normally so you have to drive into the place which is also open as a recycling centre.

Ah right, so you could take yourself out there and just jog round?
    I was under the impression the whole thing was shut (don't live in Cork so forgive the ignorance), would have been handy to know at Xmas when I was back!!

No change in Tramore Valley, still in hibernation 'til the council allow us back. But in more positive news we have a new parkrun up & running in the Ballincollig Regional Park, third event was this morning and we seem to be getting just over 200 each week.

Nice bunch of photos from last week are here.

Still laugh at this that they cant find parking with the park and ride across the way... Muppets.. Himself has gone to the Ballincollig one too and highly recommends it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Milly33 wrote: »
    Still laugh at this that they cant find parking with the park and ride across the way... Muppets.. Himself has gone to the Ballincollig one too and highly recommends it

i was doing this and it wasnt not finding parking it was people were crossing the road from the park and ride and theres no actual lights to cross with, super dangerous and people were being stupid about it.

the traffic getting out after was horrendous too.

ballincollig is fab but so far away from me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Typical public sector, and we pay dearly for it. If this was the private sector someone would have lost their job by now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Slightly harsh as the local councils have been outstanding support up and down the country for park run. It is just Cork council that is the problem.
    Public pressure would have this resolved very quickly.

Unless someone knows someone in Cork Council very little i would be thinking will be done...

From the masterplan for Tramore Valley!
    Accommodate up to 5,000 people

Once parkrun got over 500, they felt it wasn't able to cope. Feel free to contact your local councillors to see if they can do anything to move it along.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unless someone knows someone in Cork Council very little i would be thinking will be done...

Not true. Contact from enough concerned voters soon spurs these guys into action.

As I feared, not 'til next year at the earliest :(
    Proposals to open the park during 2017 are presently being examined and will be considered in the coming weeks.

Call To Fully Open 1.6 Acre Tramore Park

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

opus wrote: »
    As I feared, not 'til next year at the earliest :(

Add this to the list of delayed / non existent public projects in Cork.....Tramore Valley Park, Marina Park, Event Centre, Dunkettle Interchange, M20.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

All pie in the sky stuff. They love plans and drawings in city hall, not so much actually implementing those plans.

While we're waiting for long-delayed opening of Tramore Valley park, there's a group forming to start a parkrun in the Glen park. The initial meeting was this evening & was very positive. If anyone is interested in getting involved, drop me a PM.

• Advertisement

parkrun returned to Cork city this morning after a long break in Glen Valley park!

https://twitter.com/corkcityparks/status/1066270324097015809

Advertisement