Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New driveway surface - Tarmac etc.

Options
  • 02-10-2015 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Our driveway is roughly 410sq/m. We have an issue with drainage at the minute. When there is very heavy rainfall quite a lot of water from the field behind us flows into our back street. There are some drainage pipes in place but they need dropped, the pipe is sticking up to high for water to get into, they left it this way in case we were to put in tarmac I think. Also aside from those pipes they didnt complete the drainage of the water so it flows down the lane.

This led to the streams of water taking alot of the stones we currently have and washing them into the cattle grid, leaving the lane very bumpy and the cattle grid, where the water flows through, nearly full of stones!

Anyways, that aside..... we are thinking about getting rid of the stones and getting tarmac in instead, or something else. Looking to get a few quotes up here (Donegal) but wondering what other options should we be considering other than tarmac?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

chris_ie wrote: »
    Hi,
    Our driveway is roughly 410sq/m. We have an issue with drainage at the minute. When there is very heavy rainfall quite a lot of water from the field behind us flows into our back street. There are some drainage pipes in place but they need dropped, the pipe is sticking up to high for water to get into, they left it this way in case we were to put in tarmac I think. Also aside from those pipes they didnt complete the drainage of the water so it flows down the lane.

This led to the streams of water taking alot of the stones we currently have and washing them into the cattle grid, leaving the lane very bumpy and the cattle grid, where the water flows through, nearly full of stones!

Anyways, that aside..... we are thinking about getting rid of the stones and getting tarmac in instead, or something else. Looking to get a few quotes up here (Donegal) but wondering what other options should we be considering other than tarmac?

Cheers

Tarmac/Asphalt or Concrete which will be more expensive, you may sort the drainage problem first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

@macadam

From your experience if you have a solid compacted base on a drive way, which works out cheaper SMA or Concrete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

hexosan wrote: »
    @macadam

From your experience if you have a solid compacted base on a drive way, which works out cheaper SMA or Concrete.

SMA will cost anything from €15 -€18 per m2 whereas concrete can be anything from €25-€30 depending on spec and requirements, also the Sma on a driveway of lets say 400m2 can most likely be done in one day whereas concrete can take upto 5+days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

For some reason I thought concrete might have been cheaper, I was a bit off there! Behind the house is all concrete and then a concrete path around the front of the house. Stones from there to the bottom of the lane then. 15-18 per sq meter wouldn't be too bad (although I know it might cost me more to sort the base etc possibly..). Must ring about some quotes now. With regards to sorting the drainage, its mostly the back of the house. There wouldnt be much to do with the part we'd be tarmacing apart from dropping the pipes that are sticking up.

Cheers for the information, much appreciated.

Advertisement