Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky TV is going up from the 1st December 2015

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

kleefarr wrote: »
    Haven't missed Sky at all since dropping it.
    Everything that the wife wants to watch can be found on Saorview or Andriod Tv Box.
    Kerrrrrching!!

I hope you have freesat also

those android boxes are maybe illegal, how do sleep at night for ripping off pay tv
    you should be ashamed of yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

ftakeith wrote: »
    those android boxes are maybe illegal, how do sleep at night for ripping off pay tv
    If that isn't sarcasm then all I can say is that the words, kettle, black arse and pot spring to mind :D

muffler wrote: »
    If that isn't sarcasm then all I can say is that the words, kettle, black arse and pot spring to mind :D

of course its sarcasm

there is going to be a crackdown by the state to save the pay tv companies in the future

Sky TV subscribers should just have the original bundle as sky could axe the variety package and merge the content into the original bundle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I hope you have freesat also

Sleep fine thanks, same way as I do after watching stuff provided on the internet on my laptop. :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭mike2084

Maybe this cryptic advert has something to do with the price increase

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2114277

mike2084 wrote: »

its the new sky Q receiver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got Saorview a year ago and haven't looked back. I wasn't a sports subscriber, so it was an easy move for me to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Mr E wrote: »
    I got Saorview a year ago and haven't looked back. I wasn't a sports subscriber, so it was an easy move for me to make.

How do you record and series link on Saorview ? From reading the forums, UK Freeview + recorders were knobbled by RTE from being compatible with Saorview series link and apparently the only approved Saorview + recorder is very unreliable and basically rubbish ( unless they have improved it, and if they have, no one on the forums has mentioned it ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

galtee boy wrote: »
    How do you record and series link on Saorview ? From reading the forums, UK Freeview + recorders were knobbled by RTE from being compatible with Saorview series link and apparently the only approved Saorview + recorder is very unreliable and basically rubbish ( unless they have improved it, and if they have, no one on the forums has mentioned it ).

The Walker PVR is down to €99 now so worth a go. I have had it a few weeks and so far all OK. It's a little clunky compared to the slick interface of the new Freesat boxes but it does the job. It's certainly better than the Triax interface anyhow. I mostly record UK TV via Freesat, so hardly tax the series links or do much recording off Saorview but of those that I have set they are working. The recording function isn't as nice as Sky. If you are in a program and start recording it, you don't get series link prompts. You have to go into the EPG and find the next program and set it to record with series link. Also not sure if the 30 mins buffer is saved when record is pressed.... It is now on the new Freesat 1100s.

Got mine here - free del.
    http://www.soundstore.ie/mobile/product/walker-wp6500ttr-saorview-500gb-twin-tuner-recorder/3804/2220.2?&

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

mike2084 wrote: »

took longer than expected to appear here, you guys are slipping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭galtee boy

MBSnr wrote: »
    The Walker PVR is down to €99 now so worth a go. I have had it a few weeks and so far all OK. It's a little clunky compared to the slick interface of the new Freesat boxes but it does the job. It's certainly better than the Triax interface anyhow. I mostly record UK TV via Freesat, so hardly tax the series links or do much recording off Saorview but of those that I have set they are working. The recording function isn't as nice as Sky. If you are in a program and start recording it, you don't get series link prompts. You have to go into the EPG and find the next program and set it to record with series link. Also not sure if the 30 mins buffer is saved when record is pressed.... It is now on the new Freesat 1100s.

Got mine here - free del.
    http://www.soundstore.ie/mobile/product/walker-wp6500ttr-saorview-500gb-twin-tuner-recorder/3804/2220.2?&

Thanks for the info, at €99 it's not a bad price. Just a pity there's not an alternative, but the problem is there aren't enough channels on Saorview and the population of ROI doesn't justify other manufacturers making Saorview PVRs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

galtee boy wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, at €99 it's not a bad price. Just a pity there's not an alternative, but the problem is there aren't enough channels on Saorview and the population of ROI doesn't justify other manufacturers making Saorview PVRs.

What's the cheapeat Saorview PVR you can get, anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

Between saorview &freeaat & other options*, I can't understand how so many people still subscribe to sky.

*, not allowed talk about these options here.

What is the best box for Fta series link recording capabilities? Not interested in saorview, never watch rte or tv3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

zorro2566 wrote: »
    What is the best box for Fta series link recording capabilities? Not interested in saorview, never watch rte or tv3.

there is mention of series linking on the humax hdr 1000s box but it does not do sourview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

My 12 month contract with them finishes in January,so i'll give them 30 days notice on December 1st to coincide with their price increase :D

We got rid of sky about a year ago and have not looked back

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

zorro2566 wrote: »

You could get an Amiko Alien 2 Triple which has dvbt and 2x dvbs. Flash with enigma2 which has 7 day epg,external HD and series link is easy.

You could get a higher spec unit with internal HD either, the Xtrend Et8000 is a triple tuner customisable in any way you want .

there is mention of series linking on the humax hdr 1000s box but it does not do sourview

humax freesat freetime has series link and in my view is better than any sky+ receiver until the new sky q receivers this month

There is nothing really to record on saorview
    films and us series are mostly on freesat

• Advertisement

dav32cs wrote: »
    You could get an Amiko Alien 2 Triple which has dvbt and 2x dvbs. Flash with enigma2 which has 7 day epg,external HD and series link is easy.

You could get a higher spec unit with internal HD either, the Xtrend Et8000 is a triple tuner customisable in any way you want .

I also have an Amiko alien 2 but its not quite series link as in if the program is delayed the recording will still start at the time the programme was supposed to be on
    This is not a big deal in my opinion as you can set the box to record 5 mins early and stop 5 mins later
    still a good box box though
    I needed something with a little more umph so I treated myself to a vu+duo2

I also have an Amiko alien 2 but its not quite series link as in if the program is delayed the recording will still start at the time the programme was supposed to be on
    This is not a big deal in my opinion as you can set the box to record 5 mins early and stop 5 mins later
    still a good box box though
    I needed something with a little more umph so I treated myself to a vu+duo2

humax freesat freetime gets the recordings correct right

Thanks for that. Only interested in the UK terrestrial channels, never watch the Irish ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Slightly off topic but over on the DS forum it is reported that Sky are going to make a major announcement on the 18th November. What the announcement will be nobody knows but Sky have released a small teaser it just says set your tv free. Sky and free don't really go together for me so no doubt whatever Sky announce will no doubt cost us more further down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

humax freesat freetime gets the recordings correct right

Starting to look into the humax myself. Seems like a good option to get around the problems that dumping sky gives in relation to FTA channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rahenyrover

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but over on the DS forum it is reported that Sky are going to make a major announcement on the 18th November. What the announcement will be nobody knows but Sky have released a small teaser it just says set your tv free. Sky and free don't really go together for me so no doubt whatever Sky announce will no doubt cost us more further down the line.

Heard it was their new sky uhd box. No doubt an additional cost to buy the box and additional sub if you want uhd.

• Advertisement

Sky Q
    ultra hd 4k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Bound to cost, whatever it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭princess3901

Just checked my account it's going up by €2.25 a month.
    I'm going to call them and cancel, seems like it's not that long ago since the last increase.

The main channels I watch are Sky1 and Sky Living. I record a few shows on those channels. Is there anyway I can get a box that has these channels without the monthly subscription and can record.

I'm going to call them and cancel, seems like it's not that long ago since the last increase.

The main channels I watch are Sky1 and Sky Living. I record a few shows on those channels. Is there anyway I can get a box that has these channels without the monthly subscription and can record.

no way but if now tv from sky comes to Ireland, it could reduce prices for sky1, sky living, sky atlantic in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

My 9 months half price offer was due to end in a couple of weeks, so I rang up this evening to cancel. The first lady I spoke to tried to talk me out of cancelling by offering the current deal I was on (sports, movies, the variety pack and the HD pack for €68 per month (apparently over €100 full price). I declined her offer and she put me through to the billing department. The next bloke I spoke to there said that, due to me being a Sky customer for over 12 years now, he was able to offer me my current half price deal for another 9 months; just under €48 a month Lovely jubbly.
    :D
    Mind you, nearly an hour on the phone to them (37 minutes on hold); I could feel the will to live slowly ebbing away from me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭PolaroidPizza

treasure island alive and healthy. how come Amazon prime isn't here to give an alternative, are they not allowed or is Ireland just too small for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

I got rid of sky at the end of last year . Was sick of the bad value for money . All I was watching in our house was the documentary's and the kids . I got the eircom box in and the same channels are on it for €15 quid a month .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

treasure island alive and healthy. how come Amazon prime isn't here to give an alternative, are they not allowed or is Ireland just too small for them?

They don't seem to have any desire in expanding. Currently they are officially available in only five countries so it might be a while before we see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Got a letter/booklet today about it.

All that interests me is RTE player is coming to catch up, be handy to have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It'll be interesting to see if it's the 'full' player. On the RTE Player on my TV it doesn't have everything that the web based player has. Homeland being one example (which I had to look for as RTE messed up their scheduling, again, on Sky so the end was missed from my recording last week)

Hopefully it is, I remember the old UPC box's had it and as far as I remember was the full thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I recall seeing people on this website complain about certain programming missing on the UPC version.

lertsnim wrote: »
    I recall seeing people on this website complain about certain programming missing on the UPC version.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2056781704

Only can see prime time on a quick google.

Rte player even on the web can be weird in what you can watch,crimecall isn't on it

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Our subscription is going up by €3.75 per month.

Can't cancel as my dad would have a meltdown if he didn't have his sports.

Was offered a free on demand connector - I can't find any information on it even when I click on the link they provided (sky.ie/freeconnector). Maybe it's because I don't have a HD box.

Does anyone know anything about it.

Edit: after finding a link to it, you need to have Sky+HD to use it.

Basically turns a non WiFi box into a WiFi box to use on demand stuff

Download shows etc from certain stations, very handy instead of recording shows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Heard it was their new sky uhd box. No doubt an additional cost to buy the box and additional sub if you want uhd.

Apparently so. A rebadged iQ3 used by Foxtel in Oz by Pace, perhaps.

367617.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭gipi

Just got the letter, increase is 2.25 per month for me. I have standard channels plus HD. Time to ditch the HD...the whole package isn't worth 50 euro per month.

Marje wrote: »
    Our subscription is going up by €3.75 per month.

Can't cancel as my dad would have a meltdown if he didn't have his sports.

Was offered a free on demand connector - I can't find any information on it even when I click on the link they provided (sky.ie/freeconnector). Maybe it's because I don't have a HD box.

Does anyone know anything about it.

Edit: after finding a link to it, you need to have Sky+HD to use it.

Push them for a reconditioned sky hd box(no chance of new, I tried)

Act thick after the connector comes and wont work, go through all the checks/questions

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

jeffk wrote: »
    Push them for a reconditioned sky hd box(no chance of new, I tried)

Act thick after the connector comes and wont work, go through all the checks/questions

Thanks Jeff, not going to bother with it as my dad doesn't have a hd tv, not worth paying the extra monthly charge on a hd box.

Marje wrote: »
    Thanks Jeff, not going to bother with it as my dad doesn't have a hd tv, not worth paying the extra monthly charge on a hd box.

No need, don't get HD sub, just get the box.
    The only thing you lose from on demand by not having HD is boxsets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Agricola wrote: »
    Just got the increase letter the other day and decided to call to cancel as Im genuinely thinking of sorting out some kind of freeview setup. It's just not worth the 37 quid to me.

The guy offered me €29 p/m for 9 months and then when i persisted offered to drop me to a basic package with no documentaries for €19 p/m. He didnt really push it and never came back with the fabled half price for 9 months, he just accepted the cancelation.

I suppose I will see if they come back to me the final week with some offers.

do you mind me asking how long youre with Sky? best offer im getting after 6 yrs is 10% loyalty discount, or a further discount i take boxsets and HD, which still leaves me paying E35 in both cases.

I didnt push to be put through to cancellations though, so maybe i need to get past the first hurdle before they bring out the big guns? lol

Also got offered E49 for tv, broadband and phone for 12mths, whats their broadband like? were with eircom efibre at the mo, and have no problems with it except the price, but dont want to go to a substandard product.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Sky price rises know no limits it appears
    “I think the opportunity for pricing is good and it is certainly our intention in the UK to do that,” he said, adding: “We want to [raise prices] behind innovation, behind improved service, behind improved content.”

http://advanced-television.com/2015/11/16/sky-still-scope-to-raise-uk-prices/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Been without an offer since July so currently paying €38 a month, definitely time to ring up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 362 ✭✭superleedsdub

Just called Sky to cancel as I was about to be charged an extra €3.75 a month.

I explained that I was unhappy due to these reasons:

1) I am still paying a HD sub 6 years after signing up with Sky, that no-one should be paying for a HD sub at this point as this should be the standard offering
    2) The number of sporting events such as European cups in both rugby and football are now on BT
    3) any other programmes we watch as a family are on free to air channels or we download/stream.
    4) This is the second increase this year and I expected more once SKY Q is launched

After a lengthy conversation, I am now paying nearly 50% less per month with no contract for the next 9 months....

Advertisement