Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky TV is going up from the 1st December 2015

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Just called Sky to cancel as I was about to be charged an extra €3.75 a month.

I explained that I was unhappy due to these reasons:

1) I am still paying a HD sub 6 years after signing up with Sky, that no-one should be paying for a HD sub at this point as this should be the standard offering
    2) The number of sporting events such as European cups in both rugby and football are now on BT
    3) any other programmes we watch as a family are on free to air channels or we download/stream.
    4) This is the second increase this year and I expected more once SKY Q is launched

After a lengthy conversation, I am now paying nearly 50% less per month with no contract for the next 9 months....

I agree

I cancelled Sky Sport and sky boxed sets last monday

Sky Agent for 20 minutes was trying to stop me but I cancelled it

I still have the setanta pack and the sky agent dsimissed the content from there

I have the original pack, sky fibre broadband, 250 films purchased so far from sky store buy/keep, freesat/saorview and the setanta pack

From the helpful sky agents on the boards.ie, if you are on half price deal etc with sky sport you cancel after 2 months like I did this week

sky reps on boards.ie are really very helpful and they actually respond to private messages from customers

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

I never received an email from Sky re the price increase. I reviewed my bill and saw that it increased from 1 December.. Im still in contract. Am I in my right to cancel Sky now? Upc only allow you terminate within 30days of notification of the price increase - however I never got this communication

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    I never received an email from Sky re the price increase. I reviewed my bill and saw that it increased from 1 December.. Im still in contract. Am I in my right to cancel Sky now? Upc only allow you terminate within 30days of notification of the price increase - however I never got this communication
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-3408284/Sky-customers-given-longer-quit-provider-avoid-price-hikes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lowbatt07

The Cush wrote: »

Perfect, thanks for this. Any idea if sky will honour this for ROI customers aswell as the UK (Ofcom complaint not Comreg)

I looked through my mails and i never received and notification from sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

lowbatt07 wrote: »
    Perfect, thanks for this. Any idea if sky will honour this for ROI customers aswell as the UK (Ofcom complaint not Comreg)

I looked through my mails and i never received and notification from sky

Off the top of my head I think in the ROI its written in the contract that sky have the right to increase your subscription once whilst you are in contract. I could be wrong.

• Advertisement

snaps wrote: »
    Off the top of my head I think in the ROI its written in the contract that sky have the right to increase your subscription once whilst you are in contract. I could be wrong.

https://corporate.sky.com/media-centre/news-page/2016/sky-and-cbs-corporation-announce-long-term-pan-european-agreement-for-showtime-portfolio-of-programming

There should be another increase as Sky TV now has HBO and Showtime contents now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ftakeith wrote:
    There should be another increase as Sky TV now has HBO and Showtime contents now

Link to back up your claim?

Link to back up your claim?
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/21/twin-peaks-sky-uk-showtime-the-affair-dexter

I was only specluating as the costs should be passed on to subscribers and of course the new Eng Prem League live rights kick in next season

Or Sky TV will decrease and reduce subscriptions in 2016

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ftakeith wrote: »
    http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jan/21/twin-peaks-sky-uk-showtime-the-affair-dexter

I was only specluating as the costs should be passed on to subscribers and of course the new Eng Prem League live rights kick in next season

Or Sky TV will decrease and reduce subscriptions in 2016

Yes, I think the problem with sky now is that they know customers will pay whatever they charge. Not enough walking away. I bet most people don't even know what they are paying?

That article you posted a link too is a bit misleading (Not misleading by you).

It says at the top Sky paid 500m for UK rights, but it seems its a pan European deal?

Uk rights for Showtime content seems to be 55m. A drop in Skys big ocean!!

This HD sub that sky still have in Ireland and UK is shocking in this day and age. I think HD offering is standard now anywhere in Europe (I could be wrong). Here in Poland I have nc+ (Canal+), I am on prepaid 15 month deal which can work out 50% cheaper than a monthly sub. A monthly sub here is about 100zl a month (24e) which includes NC+go, HBO, Sports, HD and Films. I'm on a similar 15 month prepaid card that came with HBO free for 3 months, I still seem to be getting HBO free even after 7 months. I paid 799zl for the card which works out 53zl a month (12.50e). HD is standard. Infact a lot of the premium channels now only broadcast in HD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

snaps wrote: »
    Yes, I think the problem with sky now is that they know customers will pay whatever they charge. Not enough walking away. I bet most people don't even know what they are paying?

That article you posted a link too is a bit misleading (Not misleading by you).

It says at the top Sky paid 500m for UK rights, but it seems its a pan European deal?

Uk rights for Showtime content seems to be 55m. A drop in Skys big ocean!!

This HD sub that sky still have in Ireland and UK is shocking in this day and age. I think HD offering is standard now anywhere in Europe (I could be wrong). Here in Poland I have nc+ (Canal+), I am on prepaid 15 month deal which can work out 50% cheaper than a monthly sub. A monthly sub here is about 100zl a month (24e) which includes NC+go, HBO, Sports, HD and Films. I'm on a similar 15 month prepaid card that came with HBO free for 3 months, I still seem to be getting HBO free even after 7 months. I paid 799zl for the card which works out 53zl a month (12.50e). HD is standard. Infact a lot of the premium channels now only broadcast in HD.

Ive come to the conclusion that Sky TV in Ireland and the UK is utter garbage .

Most of the better channels are now free on satellite ,like the BBC,ITV,Channel 4,and Channel 5 suite of channels.

The entertainment suite of channels is very weak when compared with international providers like Movistar or even Canal+ in Poland.
    There's about a handful of decent pay channels on Sky Ireland ,the rest are just showing reality tv/repeats ad nauseum.

The movie channels are rubbish when compared to international packages.

The documentary channels mostly show reality based programming.

Most of the music channels are free as are the news channels .

Most of the channels have their ad breaks scheduled for the exact same time which is also really annoying and the ad breaks seem to be getting longer and more intermittent.

Its a very poor product.

• Advertisement
Advertisement