Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depth of soil in raised beds 60cm or 30cm

Options
  • 02-10-2015 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Howdy all,
    I am looking for some advice, we just had a patio laid with 600mm internal depth beds around it. The current discussion is what depth of soil we need to put into them. Hubby thinks we need to put some sort of filling in and then 300mm of soil but I think we can go the full depth without it becoming waterlogged. It's current base is compounded filling from when we built the house and water never rests in it. I am really hoping to vary the type of plants from large shrubs to seasonal bedding
    What would your advice be - 600mm or 300mm of soil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It depends on what you are going to put in it. If you are going for shrubs then I agree the deeper amount would probably better. 30cm is fine for plants though.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pinky123

What would your opinion be on potential water logging in the beds - do you think that the 600mm would create more of an issue than the 300mm??

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah, I think you have an autocorrect there that was confusing me. Are you saying that the base of the beds is compacted? In that case I would loosen it a bit to create more drainage. It shouldn't really make any difference what depth of soil you have once the base is loose enough to drain.

Advertisement