Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cert Music Practical

Options
  • 02-10-2015 7:19pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20

Hi so I'm doing my junior cert this year and in music class today my teacher told us to start thinking about the pieces we would like to play for our junior cert practical. I'll be playing 2 songs on recorder and 2 songs on piano but I'm having difficulty choosing my piano pieces. The three that I've had in mind for a while are "This is halloween" (the nightmare before christmas), "The river flows in you" and "Kiss the rain" (both by Yiruma). So if anyone has any advice on choosing which songs or any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Play pieces you can play fairly well and enjoy playing. Don't try anything too fancy for JC unless you're playing at a high standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 greenwhale

Lykkelig wrote: »
    Hi so I'm doing my junior cert this year and in music class today my teacher told us to start thinking about the pieces we would like to play for our junior cert practical. I'll be playing 2 songs on recorder and 2 songs on piano but I'm having difficulty choosing my piano pieces. The three that I've had in mind for a while are "This is halloween" (the nightmare before christmas), "The river flows in you" and "Kiss the rain" (both by Yiruma). So if anyone has any advice on choosing which songs or any other suggestions it would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I did my junior cert last year, and I also did two pieces on the piano for my practical and I managed to get an A. I don't know the Halloween piece, but I would suggest not playing two pieces by the same composer - it is good to be versatile and my two pieces were quiet different. its good your thinking about your pieces now, I didn't start until after Christmas, and only just got them finished in time! If you need anymore tips, don't be afraid to ask

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 Lykkelig

greenwhale wrote: »
    I did my junior cert last year, and I also did two pieces on the piano for my practical and I managed to get an A. I don't know the Halloween piece, but I would suggest not playing two pieces by the same composer - it is good to be versatile and my two pieces were quiet different. its good your thinking about your pieces now, I didn't start until after Christmas, and only just got them finished in time! If you need anymore tips, don't be afraid to ask

Thanks for your help! If you don't mind me asking, what pieces did you play? And when you went into the practical exam did you greet the examiner or did you just sit down and play? And how much preparation did you do to get an A, as I'm hoping do get an A in June. Sorry for all the questions :L

• Registered Users Posts: 32 greenwhale

Thanks for your help! If you don't mind me asking, what pieces did you play? And when you went into the practical exam did you greet the examiner or did you just sit down and play? And how much preparation did you do to get an A, as I'm hoping do get an A in June. Sorry for all the questions :L

No problem, I'm happy to help. I played a Bach Prelude in E major, BWV 854 and Kinderstucke No.5 Allegro Assai by Mendelssohn. I played two pieces on the cello as well. When I went in, I said hello to the examiner, and I had to sign my name on a sheet beside my exam number. I didn't play anything until after she started the recording (I think she said recording was optional - I could be wrong though)

I did music as an extra subject so I didnt do too much preparation for it until the week before the exam. My advice would be to do as many of the composing and listening questions from past papers as you can, and try to learn to recognise the sound of different instruments. Practise dictation a lot, as that is the only way to get better at it. Learn your general study off by heart as soon as you get it, then it's just a matter of revising your songs and works.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 20 Lykkelig

greenwhale wrote: »
    No problem, I'm happy to help. I played a Bach Prelude in E major, BWV 854 and Kinderstucke No.5 Allegro Assai by Mendelssohn. I played two pieces on the cello as well. When I went in, I said hello to the examiner, and I had to sign my name on a sheet beside my exam number. I didn't play anything until after she started the recording (I think she said recording was optional - I could be wrong though)

I did music as an extra subject so I didnt do too much preparation for it until the week before the exam. My advice would be to do as many of the composing and listening questions from past papers as you can, and try to learn to recognise the sound of different instruments. Practise dictation a lot, as that is the only way to get better at it. Learn your general study off by heart as soon as you get it, then it's just a matter of revising your songs and works.

Thanks so much :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

They don't want you playing two songs that sound the same, if you do play "This is halloween" make sure you can play it well because they'll most likely know what it goes like

• Registered Users Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

You all are so lucky you get to choose, you get to play the Piano for JC. I don't have a choice, I HAVE TO DO Recorder for the practical (4 pieces).

Advertisement