Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly fishing tackle

Options
  • 02-10-2015 7:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48

Well I am trying to get in to flying fishing. I found a good stocked lake to practice until the season starts, then il be mainly fishing medium rivers like the suir mukear and maige. I bought a rod the other day a Shakespeare omni 9,6 7/6 wt.
    I have no idea what that means so I want to know what reel and line do I need and what flies shud I buy. Im looking for cheapish stuff havnt the money to splash out on top quality gear

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hey there.

The rod you have is 9 ft 6 inches
    The weight recommendation for the rod is 6/7 meaning you will need a reel (pretty much any reel) and some 6/7 weight fly line.

What you need in total is
    6/7 weight fly line - €25 (ask lake owners what they recommend regarding floating, sinking, fast sinking, ultra fast sinking lines)
    Flyline backing - €10
    Tapered Leader €7-€15
    Tippet or normal line - depending on the size of fish in the lake - 5lb fish - 5 or maybe 6 lb line - you can ask the lake owners what line they recommend. €5
    Flies - €1.30 - €5 Again you will have to ask what flies work best on the particular lake and whether wet or dry fly fishing is best. (dry flies float - wet flies sink - 2 different methods,(of 100) you will learn both)

As for the above I am fairly new to river fly fishing myself and have never lake fished for trout so the my advice may be wrong in parts but you will need the above for the river anyway, but I do know I am not 100miles out.

The key would be to ask for help on getting set-up - Angling shops are a good place to start too and they tend to not rip you off as once you get the bug you will get to know your stuff pretty quick and if the bite you once your twice shy.

Youtube is a wealth of knowledge also. I will link some videos that helped me in the past later when I have time.

Enjoy the fishing and kiss your life goodbye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BOSCO27

Advice above is good but for the river youl need to change it a small bit.

You will need chest waders, breathable with boots "its safer".

A four or 5 weight rod to begin with should do everthing.

Get a decent floating line, a nymphing line or a camo leader its cheaper to start.

nymphs dry flies and wet a few of each, best bet for the flies is just google fly tying ireland youl get a few different guys who sell high quailty files and thel set u write for your own river.

Youtube - jonathan barnes is a dencent bet.

Dont spend too much to begin with cheap reel you dont need too many flies but dont skimp on the fluorocarbon.

Pm if you have any questions im sure ul have many.

Tight lines

Advertisement