Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wana lose the belly

• 02-10-2015 8:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭

Hi I really need to lose my belly and man boobs. I have 2 1/2 stone over the past 6 months but I just can't get rid of my belly fat.

What's the best way to burn belly fat , I don't want to lose much more weight.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

rottie 11 wrote: »
    Hi I really need to lose my belly and man boobs. I have 2 1/2 stone over the past 6 months but I just can't get rid of my belly fat.

What's the best way to burn belly fat , I don't want to lose much more weight.

Thanks

You can't lose fat off of a certain area. It has to be total fat loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    You can't lose fat off of a certain area. It has to be total fat loss.

So what will I do ? I'm gone too skinny in other parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

You need to track what you eat, download "my fitnesspal" app on your phone to help track food! Ease off the bad foods and up your exercise! Do both weight work and running (preferably resistance training) and as long as your motivation stays beyond a day or a week,the weight will fall off you! I've seen so many people motivated for a day or 2 and think they are up for it! Stay at it and it will come, guaranteed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭poeticmakaveli

You need to track what you eat, download "my fitnesspal" app on your phone to help track food! Ease off the bad foods and up your exercise! Do both weight work and running (preferably resistance training) and as long as your motivation stays beyond a day or a week,the weight will fall off you! I've seen so many people motivated for a day or 2 and think they are up for it! Stay at it and it will come, guaranteed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

For me belly fat loss comes with general toning, it's hard to focus on just one area. But I'd get in touch with a trainer and tell them you want to get toned in general. Belly fat loss will come if you tone up. You won't lose anymore weight, and you'll have more muscle.

• Advertisement

I have lost a bit of motivation tbh but I go to soccer training twice a week and walk dogs everyday. Il just have to do more I suppose , and yes I'm gone a bit bad with the eating lately aswel. I got impatient after months of dieting and my belly is basically the same as when I started

I have lost a bit of motivation tbh but I go to soccer training twice a week and walk dogs everyday. Il just have to do more I suppose , and yes I'm gone a bit bad with the eating lately aswel. I got impatient after months of dieting and my belly is basically the same as when I started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

In what way are you too skinny in other parts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

You could try building up some muscle in those skinny areas (I'm guessing arms and legs).

That way, not only will you look leaner and be more "balanced" but with bigger muscles you'll be much better equipped to tackle that last bit of fat.

However, you probably won't actually lose the belly fat while building up other areas, but it will certainly make the job a bit easier when you get back to it.

Zillah wrote: »
    In what way are you too skinny in other parts?

Arms, shoulders etc starting to get boney bar my stomach and chest

• Advertisement

Ya I suppose I could try that and keep up the exercise at the same time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Men generally store fat in around our belly. It's actually one of the reasons being a bit over weight can be more dangerous for men as we store this extra fat around our abdomen and organs.

When we put on weight its one of the first places we notice the extra fat and unfortunately this can be one of the last places the fat remains when we are loosing weight.

Really to make a significant difference you will need to lift weights. The reason you have gone skinny in areas is that you have lost fat but have not really built up any muscle. Walking and playing football will not do this. I would recommend to continue your cardio exercises but add in weight training a couple times a week at least

Having more muscle will also increase your metabolism and the speed you will "burn" the extra fat on your body. But without a doubt the most important factor is what you are eating. Try not to think about it as "going on a diet", for many people this is a short term solution to reach a goal and then stop. Simply try and change the way you eat overall and you will have much better continuous success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Arms, shoulders etc starting to get boney bar my stomach and chest

Your problem is a lack of muscle then, not too little bodyfat. If you have low body fat (no belly) and low muscle mass, then you will look skinny.

So you should start lifting weights. You'll get some muscle in your arms and shoulders to fill it out, and you can still lose body fat without looking scrawny.

Without gaining some muscle you are asking for the impossible (losing more body fat without looking skinny).

There are a million reasons to lift weights, anyway - you've just found one that fits your goals perfectly.

Ok il start doing some weights but I'm not going into it in a big way. Il do arm , shoulder and chest weights only and keep eating some bit good and keep exercising thanks for the replies

Ok il start doing some weights but I'm not going into it in a big way. Il do arm , shoulder and chest weights only and keep eating some bit good and keep exercising thanks for the replies

Its up to you how into it you get. But keep in my the results will be a refection of the effort you put in.

I strongly recommend you do a complete weights program.

If you avoid back and legs you can cause muscle imbalances which give you all sorts of issues, posture, back problems etc.

No offence, but you really don't sound like you know much about this. You would probably be best going to see a fitness professional who can give you a balanced program and guide you through the exercises.

Your legs and glutes are the biggest muscles in the body. much bigger than the arms, so if you are looking for the benefits increases muscle mass will bring it makes sense to work on the big muscle groups. Legs , back, chest not the smallest shoulders and arms.

Focusing on the big compound lifts will engage your shoulders and arms so I would not focus on them for the time being. They will get stronger as you focus on the major muscle groups.

Its up to you how into it you get. But keep in my the results will be a refection of the effort you put in.

I strongly recommend you do a complete weights program.

If you avoid back and legs you can cause muscle imbalances which give you all sorts of issues, posture, back problems etc.

No offence, but you really don't sound like you know much about this. You would probably be best going to see a fitness professional who can give you a balanced program and guide you through the exercises.

Your legs and glutes are the biggest muscles in the body. much bigger than the arms, so if you are looking for the benefits increases muscle mass will bring it makes sense to work on the big muscle groups. Legs , back, chest not the smallest shoulders and arms.

Focusing on the big compound lifts will engage your shoulders and arms so I would not focus on them for the time being. They will get stronger as you focus on the major muscle groups.

I wouldn't have the equipment at home to do a full body workout. I don't think I'd have time to go to the gym because of work and soccer. But il try to make time for the gym 3 days a week if I can, would the machine weights be any good as well as doing my own free weights at home ?

I wouldn't have the equipment at home to do a full body workout. I don't think I'd have time to go to the gym because of work and soccer. But il try to make time for the gym 3 days a week if I can, would the machine weights be any good as well as doing my own free weights at home ?

If you have free weights you can exercise all parts of the body. Back and legs included.

Ideally I would advise a gym as you can be shown the various exercises and someone can correct you if you are doing it wrong. If you are not familiar with exercising using weights I would recommend a few sessions with personal trainer or fitness professional to prevent possibly injury and learn proper form. Once you are more familiar with weights you can do more on your own at home.

However if you check out youtube there are a host of videos for full body home workouts with minimal equipment.

Best of luck anyway and if you have any other questions let me know.

If you have free weights you can exercise all parts of the body. Back and legs included.

Ideally I would advise a gym as you can be shown the various exercises and someone can correct you if you are doing it wrong. If you are not familiar with exercising using weights I would recommend a few sessions with personal trainer or fitness professional to prevent possibly injury and learn proper form. Once you are more familiar with weights you can do more on your own at home.

However if you check out youtube there are a host of videos for full body home workouts with minimal equipment.

Best of luck anyway and if you have any other questions let me know.

Ya il probably join the gym soon enough. Cheers for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Then build muscle on those parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Then build muscle on those parts.

• Advertisement

It's gas reading back over this now lol

I've since joined the gym and built some muscle on shoulders , back and arms. But still my chest is full of fat and my belly is the same

. Il be honest and say I don't work the stomach but I taught building muscle elsewhere would help it lose fat ?

I do flat bench press as well as incline and decline. Dumbell press and flies and dips, pushups etc but I'm noticing no change in the chest.

Maybe I'm getting impatient but should it take long more just to start burning the fat around the chest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's gas reading back over this now lol

I've since joined the gym and built some muscle on shoulders , back and arms. But still my chest is full of fat and my belly is the same

. Il be honest and say I don't work the stomach but I taught building muscle elsewhere would help it lose fat ?

I do flat bench press as well as incline and decline. Dumbell press and flies and dips, pushups etc but I'm noticing no change in the chest.

Maybe I'm getting impatient but should it take long more just to start burning the fat around the chest

Not sure what you mean? Your not going to burn any fat around your chest unless you change your diet to cut at a caloric deficet...

It doesn't mean your not gaining muscle in your chest behind that fat, I'm carrying weight on my chest and stomach at the minute after a bulk but I know when I go into a cut the muscle and abs are behind it...

When you have a decent amount of muscle built, eat to cut weight and continue lifting to keep the muscle then you will burn the fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,659 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Your diet needs to be right to burn fat.

Are you tracking your calories? Do you know what maintenance calories are?

See that's the problem , I'm a very finicky eater. I genuinely can't eat anything healthy but yes I've cut out a lot of bad foods, can someone give me a link to something about what I should/shouldn't be eating ?

Your diet is everything when it comes to gaining muscle and losing fat , you could be in the gym lifting 5 days a week but if your not eating enough or getting enough protein - Nothing will change, the same goes for wanting to lose weight.

You really need to educate yourself a little bit on the science behind bulking and cutting , Hanley on here have some excellent videos.

Google 'Bulking/Cutting' , 'Foods for bulking' 'High protein foods' 'How to cut weight and maintain muscle' and spend a few evenings reading up on this before you continue , then decide where you want to do.

There really does have to be a level of dedication to all aspects of lifting if you want to get to a stage where you have muscle mass and low body fat.

Best of luck.

See that's the problem , I genuinely can't eat anything healthy
    Ah come on, seriously?
    Do you mean you don't know what healthy food is or you physically can't eat it?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Ah come on, seriously?
    Do you mean you don't know what healthy food is or you physically can't eat it?

I physically can't eat it , fruit or veg like. I love meat tho which is good cos of the protein

I physically can't eat it , fruit or veg like. I love meat tho which is good cos of the protein

No hassle , get a nutribullet and drink it instead or whip up a smoothie.

Besides you don't need to eat fruit and veg to lose the belly , you just need to eat less calories and get enough protein while lifting weights.

But ideally you would eat these anyway, but it can be done without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Anyone who says they can't eat anything healthy just can't cook and it's such a lame excuse. You can disguise healthy foods in so many ways and there must be 600 million food blogs available for ideas and step-by-step instructions.

Honestly if your mindset is 'I can't eat veg or fruit' then just get used to having a fat chest and gut. Like it seriously blows my mind - can't eat fruit or veg... there is an astronomical amount of different fruit and veg available in your local supermarket. Amazing how one can eat all other varieties of shíte but not find one veg they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

See that's the problem , I'm a very finicky eater. I genuinely can't eat anything healthy but yes I've cut out a lot of bad foods, can someone give me a link to something about what I should/shouldn't be eating ?

http://ss.fitness/#foods

^^ good site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cape View

Hello, some good advice given already but I think you should do some research and preparation as limiting weights to a few muscle groups is not a good idea.

Firstly, losing weight through exercise is very difficult. You have to do a massive amount consistently.

Diet is the single most important factor. Dieting, as someone stated, is misguided and once you stop....

Having said that exercise is very important; aerobic and weights. As you play football that's a good start. With weights you need to do all muscle groups or you can create imbalance and cause injuries. Muscle uses more calories so you get the added benefit.

Don't make the mistake of thinking 'core' work (e.g. sit-ups) will reduce stomach fat. They will build muscle but if there is fat on top you wont see them. However 'core' work is very important to overall strength.

Try and look for information on line to start. Google Scooby and you'll fine a bodybuilder who gives good, informed advice on diet, weights etc. Videos and training programmes.

Best of luck and try and enjoy it as you're more likely to continue long-term.

Irishcrx wrote: »
    No hassle , get a nutribullet and drink it instead or whip up a smoothie.

Besides you don't need to eat fruit and veg to lose the belly , you just need to eat less calories and get enough protein while lifting weights.

But ideally you would eat these anyway, but it can be done without.

Ya I know what you mean, il start calculating calories etc but I know I get enough protein from the meat I eat.

Cape View wrote: »
    Hello, some good advice given already but I think you should do some research and preparation as limiting weights to a few muscle groups is not a good idea.

Firstly, losing weight through exercise is very difficult. You have to do a massive amount consistently.

Diet is the single most important factor. Dieting, as someone stated, is misguided and once you stop....

Having said that exercise is very important; aerobic and weights. As you play football that's a good start. With weights you need to do all muscle groups or you can create imbalance and cause injuries. Muscle uses more calories so you get the added benefit.

Don't make the mistake of thinking 'core' work (e.g. sit-ups) will reduce stomach fat. They will build muscle but if there is fat on top you wont see them. However 'core' work is very important to overall strength.

Try and look for information on line to start. Google Scooby and you'll fine a bodybuilder who gives good, informed advice on diet, weights etc. Videos and training programmes.

Best of luck and try and enjoy it as you're more likely to continue long-term.

No I do work every muscle group bar stomach. I do play soccer most weeks aswel so I was hoping that would help burn stomach fat.

Il just have to start dieting

jive wrote: »
    Anyone who says they can't eat anything healthy just can't cook and it's such a lame excuse. You can disguise healthy foods in so many ways and there must be 600 million food blogs available for ideas and step-by-step instructions.

Honestly if your mindset is 'I can't eat veg or fruit' then just get used to having a fat chest and gut. Like it seriously blows my mind - can't eat fruit or veg... there is an astronomical amount of different fruit and veg available in your local supermarket. Amazing how one can eat all other varieties of shíte but not find one veg they like.

I can't really cook tbh but that's a good point about disguising food. Think I might try homemade soup or something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

You're correct in saying meat is good for protein, but your body needs so much more than just protein.
    Really veg is so important to your body.

Soups and smoothie's are a great way to get veg etc into you.

One of the trainers in your gym should be able to give you a diet plan, they would be familiar with your exercise regime.
    Just make sure you tell them you're trying to loose weight and not bulk up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 paul1982a

As well as lifting the weights make sure and try a HIIT class 1-2 times a week - something to push yourself just enough that you find yourself slightly out of breadth...keep at it and do your weights with good eating and you should see big changes in your body but its all about consistency especially with regards food.

Sorry but what's a HIIT class ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Sorry but what's a HIIT class ?

High intensity interval training. Not necessary but a good workout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I can't really cook tbh but that's a good point about disguising food. Think I might try homemade soup or something

Honestly find a couple of veggies you like, couple it with your meat and you'll be laughing. You could eat most veg till it's coming out your arse and still lose weight, the amount of volume you get for the calories your consuming makes losing weight a breeze.

Throw 4 tins of tomatoes in a pan, throw about 5 courgettes in with the tomatoes. Heat them in the pan for a bit, add in some random spices to make it taste like something you'd actually like to eat and then chuck in about 5 chicken breasts. Lunch for the week sorted in about 20 minutes - tomatoes prob total 800 cal, 5 courgettes about 250 cal, chicken breasts about 750 cal.

Total: 800 + 250 + 750 = 1800. Over 5 days you're looking at a hearty 360 odd calorie lunch, couple that with a few eggs for breakfast and you'd be doing to even manage to fúck up your diet with dinner.

Thanks for all replies.

So, cut down calories while getting as much protein as possible and keep doing weights and eating as healthy as possible and I should see decent results in about 2 months ?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all replies.

So, cut down calories while getting as much protein as possible and keep doing weights and eating as healthy as possible and I should see decent results in about 2 months ?

No not as much protein as possible. Protein isn't the answer to everything. You need to find a balance between protein/carbs/fats. Google macros

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thanks for all replies.

No, apart from the constipation, no!!
    Your body needs carbs and good fats also.

Taking a simplistic view, if you look at the men's diet plan on the Operation Transformation website, you will see how they've included each of the food groups. I'm not saying the plan is perfect, but you can see how the food groups are included proportionally.

On a side note, is it definitely fat that's on your belly? is there any chance it's just excess skin from your fat loss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I find it very hard to believe you dislike every single vegetable, cooked in every possible way. That's a childish cop out imo. I understand not like certain flavour or textures (I hate turnip). But there's a massive range of flavours possible, and most of them nothing like each other.

Off the top of my head. You are saying you don't like any of these;
    Chips/Wedges/Potato Cubes (ye they are vegetables)
    Fried onions (with steak, nyom nyom nyom)
    Fried/Brasied Mushrooms
    Baked Flat mushrooms with garlic butter
    Roast potatoes
    Mash potatoes
    Baked potato
    ...Sweet potato
    Roast Cauliflower
    Cauliflower Puree
    Parmesan Courgettes Chips/Discs
    Avocado/Guacamole
    Tomato based sauces for pasta/meatballs/chilli
    Curry sauce with vegetables

Not an exhaustive list, but just some of the basic options. And all sort of flavours and textures there.

Fruit is a whole other lists also. easy to pick out 10 that taste all different.

Advertisement