Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycling Holiday in France

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    ...We are going to have about 10 days or so after I finish cycling to tour about.
    Dear God man, what's wrong with you!....that's another 10 days for cycling! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Dear God man, what's wrong with you!....that's another 10 days for cycling! :cool:

Don't talk! Ive done well to negotiate 4 nights of cycling before she arrives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Made the decision. Going for the Alps as the wife wants to see Annecy and that area.

Is annecy a good place to base myself for some cycling or is it too far away to the famous cols?

Also in terms of sight seeing and driving around where are the must see places from Geneva airport. We are going to have about 10 days or so after I finish cycling to tour about.

Beautiful place, the tour TT was around lake Annecy one year and the course is well worth riding.

Chamonix/St Gervais between Geneva and Annecy is worth a visit if you like walking/cimbing. Can recommend taking the cable car to Aiguille du Midi even if you don't climb just to take in the views of Mt Blanc. A glacier tour of the vallee blanche or the mer du glace would be a fantastic idea too, try the guides office in Cham, pretty sure they run plenty tours.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Made the decision. Going for the Alps as the wife wants to see Annecy and that area.

Is annecy a good place to base myself for some cycling or is it too far away to the famous cols?

Also in terms of sight seeing and driving around where are the must see places from Geneva airport. We are going to have about 10 days or so after I finish cycling to tour about.

My wife and kids flew out to Geneva after I did the Marmotte last year and we spent ten days there in a camp-site. I brought the car with me to Alpe D'Huez and collected them from Geneva airport. You have to buy a special sticker to use Swiss motorways and they do check for them at the border crossing (if you're driving).

Annecy is a lovely spot. The only thing that spoiled it for us was the continuing heat wave. I'd highly recommend the trip to Chamonix/Mt. Blanc for a day out. Semnoz is easily accessible and there are plenty of other cols nearby, although I didn't actually do any of them while I was there, mostly on account of the heat. There is a fabulous cycle lane that traverses most of the Lake, very flat. If your missus isn't into cycling up mountains she may well enjoy a few spins around that road. Annecy itself is a pleasant day's sight-seeing.

while the weather was blistering all the time we were there this year, the lady running the campsite told us that it rained for 21 days out of 31 the previous July!

My ten-year-old and I paraglided (in tandem-you fly on a special harness attached to an experienced pilot) over the Lake from Col du Montmin which was another nice little cycling climb I'd have tackled were it not for the heat and the exertions of the previous week-end. I'd highly recommend the paragliding. Great crack.

rb

What did you think of driving over there RB and the rest of the lads? Once my wife arrives the most cycling I will get is cycling around the Lake! Would hate to go and it bloody rain the whole time. I will get a suggested itinerary together and you lads could maybe advise me. Provence is a 3 or 4 hour drive away so that is not totally out of the question either for 3 or 4 nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

SomeFool wrote: »
    Beautiful place, the tour TT was around lake Annecy one year and the course is well worth riding.

Chamonix/St Gervais between Geneva and Annecy is worth a visit if you like walking/cimbing. Can recommend taking the cable car to Aiguille du Midi even if you don't climb just to take in the views of Mt Blanc. A glacier tour of the vallee blanche or the mer du glace would be a fantastic idea too, try the guides office in Cham, pretty sure they run plenty tours.

Or get out half way up (on the way down?) on the Plan de Midi, and walk to the Montenvers railway station, right under the Chamonix Rock Needles. Easy afternoon walk (suitable for kids too), fantastic views. Easy public transport back into Chambo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

brownian wrote: »
    Or get out half way up (on the way down?) on the Plan de Midi, and walk to the Montenvers railway station, right under the Chamonix Rock Needles. Easy afternoon walk (suitable for kids too), fantastic views. Easy public transport back into Chambo.

Lovely walk, ran it from the valley once, looked like some loon on the train back! If only there for one day getting out on to the glacier is a must though, another world altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

What did you think of driving over there RB and the rest of the lads? Once my wife arrives the most cycling I will get is cycling around the Lake! Would hate to go and it bloody rain the whole time. I will get a suggested itinerary together and you lads could maybe advise me. Provence is a 3 or 4 hour drive away so that is not totally out of the question either for 3 or 4 nights.

I've driven rentals or brought my own car to France on numerous occasions. It's a pleasure to drive in France. Driving in the Alps can be a bit hair-raising but you get used to it. You can book a device to automatically get you through the toll gates (an absolute must if driving a r-hand drive on your own) from tolltickets.com, you can also buy one of those Swiss motorway stickers from them too in advance. Saves you queueing for ages at the border if you're driving to Geneva. A good Sat Nav with up to date maps is a must. I've done plenty of driving in Europe the old-fashioned way but sat navs are great and might save your marriage!

I wouldn't be too worried about rain. 2014 was very unusual, but then 2015 was unusual in the opposite way. You'll be up in the mountains so sudden changes of weather can happen, so be prepared. Even if it rains though it won't be cold (apart from high up) so you can still get out and about ( or go shopping!).

If you bring your own car you might consider spending a few nights in Normandy on the way back. I've passed through Normandy a few times and made a few quick visits to some of the WW2 sites on the way in or out and always regretted not having more time to visit museums etc (I am a bit of a history buff though, so maybe not for everyone).

Rb

Red Belly wrote: »
    I've driven rentals or brought my own car to France on numerous occasions. It's a pleasure to drive in France. Driving in the Alps can be a bit hair-raising but you get used to it. You can book a device to automatically get you through the toll gates (an absolute must if driving a r-hand drive on your own) from tolltickets.com, you can also buy one of those Swiss motorway stickers from them too in advance. Saves you queueing for ages at the border if you're driving to Geneva. A good Sat Nav with up to date maps is a must. I've done plenty of driving in Europe the old-fashioned way but sat navs are great and might save your marriage!

I wouldn't be too worried about rain. 2014 was very unusual, but then 2015 was unusual in the opposite way. You'll be up in the mountains so sudden changes of weather can happen, so be prepared. Even if it rains though it won't be cold (apart from high up) so you can still get out and about ( or go shopping!).

If you bring your own car you might consider spending a few nights in Normandy on the way back. I've passed through Normandy a few times and made a few quick visits to some of the WW2 sites on the way in or out and always regretted not having more time to visit museums etc (I am a bit of a history buff though, so maybe not for everyone).

Rb

Sounds a bit of a handling having to bring my own motor. The normandy thing sounds unreal!! But I think that would be a separate trip. I love WW2 history as well. The football result tonight and the Tour De France being around the same area will no doubt make flights and accommodation harder to find and more expensive!

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about the Morzine area of the Alps for cycling? Thinking of going with this crowd http://www.44south.co.uk/0-home/home.php

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great thread. Someone suggested a route to me recently only I can't remember what, I think it was to Budapest. Damn memory.

I was sent link to this crowd re organised trips. http://en.radreisen.at

Advertisement