Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbour complaint about our puppy

• 02-10-2015 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hey we just got a neighbour called into our house to complain that our 6 month old Springer Spaniel puppy is barking each evening. When she doesn't bark every night. Don't dogs bark for a reason, that there is something not right or something is there. Our neighbour stated she doesn't want to call the Guards or dog warden about the noise but if it didn't stop she has no other choice. We only had our dog a month when we had the dog warden call to say someone called about a dog not having a licence when we did have a licence. Would that be a coincidence that this neighbour would get the dog warden to call in to check for a licence.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Dogs bark for all sorts of reasons but some certainly seem to like the sound of their own voice, others are barking because they are lonely, bored etc. Your neighbour has complained to you & given you a chance to do something about what they perceive as excessive barking.

Is your dog barking a lot? If he is could you bring him inside instead of leaving him to bark?

Sure how would the neighbours know if you have a licence or not unless you discussed it with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

No never seen this neighbour before, she lives at the back of our house in a different estate, so wouldn't of been discussed about a licence. I know springers bark and dig due to excessive energy, which she's lots of as both her parents are both working gun dogs. When she used to stay indoors until she was 12 weeks old she'd bark indoors. Our 1 year old sleeps in his own room at the back of the house and never woke up to her barking. I have gone out to her repeatedly to shut up barking no matter what time of the day it is. She barks between 9-11pm but only for a couple of minutes and shuts up barking and goes asleep in her house. Our neighbours next door have 2 German shepherds and bark non stop day and night, our other neighbour has 2 small dogs who bark for a half hour each time they're outside at night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How much exercise and interaction does she get everyday?
    Sounds like she is bored and looking fur attention if she's in the garden all the time. Can you not bring her in for company?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Op - springer a don't bark and dig due to excessive energy., they do it out of Bordem and loneliness ..

They need a lot of exercise a day.

Why not bring her into the house until it's time for her bed.. She sounds lonely to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Barking dogs rarely bother/wake their owners. Just because other neighbours haven't complained doesn't mean it's not annoying them(!) I've one at the back of me who's barking from the time I get home from work just before 6:00pm until I go to bed. Other neighbour down the road is letting their dog out to bark before 6:00am every morning the last few weeks - I'm up at that stage anyways but it's waking my mum every morning. We haven't complained and probably won't (hoping somebody else will) but it's really really annoying. If my own dog barks outside he's taken in so as not to bother anyone..

I'd just bring the dog in - better that she's annoying you with her barking imo than neighbours. You never know how far somebody might take their dislike of your dog - not worth the risk for me..let alone the risk of the pup getting themselves in bother being out unattended looking for something to occupy themselves.

Is the dog going to be a working dog when it's older - you say it's parents are both working springers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

Sounds like someone wanted to get the dog warden out about noise issues and used the dog licence as an excuse. Look, you've had 2 complaints now so you really need to take the dog indoors and sort out the barking. Going out and telling the dog to stop barking is pointless and frankly, I don't understand why you got a dog if you plan on leaving it outdoors. At best you're going to end up in Court at worst something awful could happen to the dog. I've heard of cases locally where chronic barkers were poisoned or 'disappeared' from their gardens, permanently. Bear in mind that you got the dog, and the rest of the neighbourhood shouldn't be affected by your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

tk123 wrote: »
    Barking dogs rarely bother/wake their owners. Just because other neighbours haven't complained doesn't mean it's not annoying them(!) I've one at the back of me who's barking from the time I get home from work just before 6:00pm until I go to bed. Other neighbour down the road is letting their dog out to bark before 6:00am every morning the last few weeks - I'm up at that stage anyways but it's waking my mum every morning. We haven't complained and probably won't (hoping somebody else will) but it's really really annoying. If my own dog barks outside he's taken in so as not to bother anyone..

I'd just bring the dog in - better that she's annoying you with her barking imo than neighbours. You never know how far somebody might take their dislike of your dog - not worth the risk for me..let alone the risk of the pup getting themselves in bother being out unattended looking for something to occupy themselves.

Is the dog going to be a working dog when it's older - you say it's parents are both working springers?

The dog is CLEARLY a disturbance and you wont complain about it??

Sounds very cowardly that you wont complain and hope someone else will.

You should go to the neighbour and complain.Thats a ridiculous time for a dog to be barking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

davmol wrote: »
    The dog is CLEARLY a disturbance and you wont complain about it??

Sounds very cowardly that you wont complain and hope someone else will.

You should go to the neighbour and complain.Thats a ridiculous time for a dog to be barking

The 6am boy has actually stopped!...... It puzzles me why somebody would leave a dog out like that for security - I'd rather my shed broken into then my poor dog kicked by robbers! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

nowayout1 wrote: »
    No never seen this neighbour before, she lives at the back of our house in a different estate, so wouldn't of been discussed about a licence. I know springers bark and dig due to excessive energy, which she's lots of as both her parents are both working gun dogs. When she used to stay indoors until she was 12 weeks old she'd bark indoors. Our 1 year old sleeps in his own room at the back of the house and never woke up to her barking. I have gone out to her repeatedly to shut up barking no matter what time of the day it is. She barks between 9-11pm but only for a couple of minutes and shuts up barking and goes asleep in her house. Our neighbours next door have 2 German shepherds and bark non stop day and night, our other neighbour has 2 small dogs who bark for a half hour each time they're outside at night

If their exercise needs are being met, they will not dig or bark excessively. How much exercise and mental stimulation is the pup getting? It doesn't matter what other neighbours are doing with their dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Ashbx

Its irrelevant if the same neighbour contacted the dog warden about your licence. You had it, so there is no problem there.

OP if you look at other threads where people complain about dogs barking in their estate, you will see that 99% of the people advise to contact the owner first to give the owner a chance to fix it before calling wardens/gardai. This neighbour is bringing their concern to your attention before doing anything drastic and yet you don't seem to be willing to fix it?! In fact your in denial. Would you have preferred if they called the warden straight away?

Do your neighbours (and yourself in the long run) a favour and fix this problem asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Ashbx wrote: »
    Its irrelevant if the same neighbour contacted the dog warden about your licence. You had it, so there is no problem there.

OP if you look at other threads where people complain about dogs barking in their estate, you will see that 99% of the people advise to contact the owner first to give the owner a chance to fix it before calling wardens/gardai. This neighbour is bringing their concern to your attention before doing anything drastic and yet you don't seem to be willing to fix it?! In fact your in denial. Would you have preferred if they called the warden straight away?

Do your neighbours (and yourself in the long run) a favour and fix this problem asap.

Tbh, it doesn't matter what approach you take with some people, I've found that with the kind of person that allows it to happen is really unconcerned and oblivious to other peoples concerns or knows and just doesn't care.

I've approached people face to face and the end result is just they know who you are and can retaliate if they choose.

I approached a person about noise and they refused and denied it, I then had to deal with it, knowing full well they knew who was making a complaint. Another just allows their large dog loose and it takes itself on walks and sheets where it likes.
    Similarly for someone flytipping, I didnt know who was doing it, then saw a vehicle, I approached the person and they went nuts, saying I could get them sacked and were hostile and threatening.
    Best course of action is just report them. The only way I'd approach someone now is with support to show it's not just one person complaining and so their response can be witnessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

nowayout1 wrote: »
    Hey we just got a neighbour called into our house to complain that our 6 month old Springer Spaniel puppy is barking each evening.

It is still unclear to me what you are going to do to fix this problem. This is your problem when your dog.
    You clearly live in an estate, so why is the dog outside during the evening where it can disturb other people?
    If the dog is exercised and stimulated and spending time with his family then he won't be barking.

Advertisement