Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's/Pc World

Options
  • 02-10-2015 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody shop there? Do ye like it?

They feel very needy to push the cover plan I feel.

Heard mixed reports hence asking

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

agree poor operators. i heard a big part of the bonus pay the employees get comes from flogging the extra warranty plans and extras ( like usb stick/labtop bags etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

agree poor operators. i heard a big part of the bonus pay the employees get comes from flogging the extra warranty plans and extras ( like usb stick/labtop bags etc)

Tips for currys:

Buy the laptop and declare you're not interested in other extras.

They've tried to charge €20 quid extra for installing the OS which is effectively just turning on the machine with laptops and computers. I can see this as conning out older people ... Such a scam...

Shop around for device insurance youl probably get a better deal then off them

There needs to be more of a choice when it comes to consumer electronics in this country as the choice of physical stores is shocking. It allows them to charge ridiculous mark ups on devices

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I bought a tablet off them a few years ago, shopped around and they were the cheapest/most convenient. I decided to buy the extended warranty as it was a santa present for a 3 year old and figured it was gonna get broken somehow.
    It ended up going in 3 times, once for a charge port and crack on the frame and twice for a cracked screen. It ended up being great value for us but i dont think id buy it if the tablet was for myself or the wife.
    Cant see the need either for it on a laptop or pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭clerk

Personally l find the customer service in that shop very poor, based on my consumer experience. I avoid the place if I can get the product elsewhere.

The following is all 100% true, I was buying a washing machine off them a few Years back, l went into the shop and was waiting 10 minutes for service and nobody served me. I went up the till to ask where there any staff available and yerman rang someone and a few minutes a guy turned up, pointed at the washing machine l was looking at and walked away literally. It was a washing machine l was buying not a packet of crisps so naturally i wanted to actually talk to their staff about the product !! bizarre !

I was in there another time before that looking to buy a fridge and I asked a member the difference between 2 fridges l was looking at and basically he couldn't tell me. He hadn't a clue. l bought an electric hob off them another time and had an electrican lined up on the delivery day. They delivered a gas hob !! l still had to pay the electrician !! I had to return the hob myself and was arsing about up there for ages. l couldn't face arguing with them about the fact l was out of pocket for the electrician and was waiting another week for my hob !!!

before anyone asks why l go in there, it's because there's many shops in Cork that have a good selection of domestic appliances but with regard to their policy on customer service it's appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

If you are not up to speed on computers and I mean UP to speed don't go near them, they will rape you with extras. Chances are you'll probably know more about washing machines and fridges than they do. The other thing I don't like is little or no Irish working there. Mostly East of Mumbai. Don't Cork people know anything about computers.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am another one who would say stay away from them unless you really have to buy something from them there customer service is shocking in store and is on the same LV as there sister company carphone warehouse. they just don't care about there customers and always make you fell like your the bad one with things.

Back in 2010 i bought a laptop of them in there cork store €1000 euro at the time and after a 14 months the laptop started giving me major problems the battery was down to lasting for 30 mins and was always over heating and turning off when you try to run a game or photo shop on it. So i got in touch with them and they wonted 120 euros to look at the laptop as it was outside of warranty and then i would have to pay for the parts to fix the thing and maybe laptop could be gone from 2 weeks to 2 months and they will use 2nd hand parts to fix it. I told them my rights and after about 2 weeks fighting i brought my laptop to indie export to send on a report what was wrong with the laptop turns out that the CPU and GPU where melting into the motherboard and the fan was never able to cool the laptop in the 1st place as it had a high end GPU and CPU and the cooling was never near the LVs it needed. So sent the report and they refunded me in full for the laptop. Took over a month and a bit fighting with them to get this all fixed.

Any time i buy high end Laptops or TVs i just stay away from Currys and Pc World as i have huge problems myself and i have had countless amounts of friends who have had huge problems trying to get things covered of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Early in the yeat i left in a laptop to get fixed..two wks later i had no update so decided to ring....they never sent it off...no apology or anything...when i asked to see manager some young lad barely able to shave claimed to be manager i laughed at him and kicked up about the shocking service.they refused to knock anything off the cost.demanded on collection when eventually fixed to see the manager and got a 15 euro itunes voucher..not one member apologised for the crap service

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bradt Pitt

Terrible service.
    Next to impossible to get the attention of a salesperson.
    At the till, possibly the slowest I've ever seen in my life.

I recently bought a printer there - purely based on price. The girl behind the counter tried to sell me some warranty for €30. I said I wasn't interested. She then typed a few keys and said she could now offer the same warranty for €20. Wtf!
    Again I said no - then she said the best she could do was €15 - again, seriously?! How did it come down from €30 to €15?!
    I said no and she basically sulked for the rest of the transaction, slammed down the receipt and walked away.

I think they make a lot of money from conning people who don't know any better. I wouldn't buy there except if I was completely stuck. Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

They most get good commission inside there so, if they are that desperate to sell insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

They most get good commission inside there so, if they are that desperate to sell insurance

No commission at all actually, just targets. Harvey's do get commission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,229 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Techmaster wrote: »
    No commission at all actually, just targets. Harvey's do get commission.

Jesus they least deserve to get something if they do that.

I think staff are fine but they seem to have a different managers every week. So many new faces every time I go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

PC World is what it is. A big warehouse stocking laptops, TV, fridges, printer ink, toasters, cameras, etc. Go in knowing what you want and knowing what a good price is for it and you'll be just fine. Just grab a salesperson (if you can), point at the thing you want and say no to all the extras.

If you go in with half an idea of what you want and the price, and you're looking for a bit of advice, be prepared for poor service. I bought a TV 2 years ago there and was stuck between two models. I asked for a salesperson to help and ended up waiting half an hour for one to come over hand me the remote for one of them, tell me to have a look and then walked off. He didn't even wait to let me ask my questions and I had to wait another 20-30 minutes before I got a hold of him again (I actually had to stop him from dealing with another customer and insist he finish dealing with me or I walk). THEN, as he was at the till ringing it up, the terminal was going really slow so he went to talk to another customer and again I had to tell him to stay put, that I wasn't waiting another 20 minutes to get him back. Granted, all this was during the January sales so it was mega busy but it took over an hour to buy a TV and the staff had no interest in helping the customer (probably thought my sale was in the bag so better off trying to make the next sale). If they had just taken 5 minutes to stop and talk to me and I would have just said "I'll take that one". 10 minutes later, I'm out the door, a happy customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@Bacchus in fairness they know their customer profile and they know they don't have to run to every customer's whim. Despite your threatening to walk you waited for over 50 minutes and you still made a purchase.

It's a horrible place, sometimes I go in there to wind up a few sales people with zero interest in buying anything, just killing some time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

@Bacchus in fairness they know their customer profile and they know they don't have to run to every customer's whim. Despite your threatening to walk you waited for over 50 minutes and you still made a purchase.

The only reason I stayed was cos the sale price was good. Also, I only threatened to walk at the 50 minute mark and at that point I was dealt with... even though the salesperson tried to talk to another customer while waiting for the PC/till to load.

As you say, they knew by me that I was going to purchase and therefore they focused on setting up the next sale. It's a crappy way to treat your customers though, even if it is busy. Also, I could have been dealt with 15 minutes tops and they would have had a sale made and had one less customer to juggle. It's just bad management.

Anyway, that's my only real bad experience of PC World. As I said in my first post, go in knowing what you want and they are fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

As above posters stating. Some of their IT are of reasonable quality - others not so, but if need some equipment in a hurry then not a bad place for it.

Advertisement