Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current site issues: 404's, 503's and assorted errors (was "Little glitch?")

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Maybe there was but it disappeared :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Every mod, cmod and admin on the site. ;)

Whatever happened to community and pulling together? :):)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

404: Post not found

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Long live the hamsters....or maybe they've died and that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'm still confused as to why there hasn't been a general site announcement?

Yeah, and I don't see it as users having a sense of entitlement. People are asking questions because they like the site! Everyone has their favorite sites of lots of us, boards.ie is up there so we just want some kind of announcement or acknowledgement as navigation of the site is frustrating at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

first time i have been able to stay logged on in days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Shield wrote: »
    Hold on a second.

Have people out there forgot that we're nothing more than guests on a private discussion forum? What's with the entitlement posts all of a sudden?

I get that it's frustrating, and I offered a suggestion myself that might very well speed up fixing whatever's causing the problem, but I think some of us really need to rein it in a little, or a lot.

This site owes you nothing. I think some people need to be reminded of that from time to time.

I don't feel entitled to anything, I just think that an announcement or response from someone would not go a miss considering the extent of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The most popular forums (Soccer, After Hours) seem to be borked more than others.

Probably just the traffic going in.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Ah come on... a quick post/announcement with an expected fix time from Dav/Niamh/someone wouldn't go astray
    Funny how much better communication was when there were no paid employees. A properly inverse relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

I don't think wondering what the heck is going on is a problem - but it can be done without rudeness (which is the case with some posts here) and assumptions about them just not bothering for the craic, at the weekend when it's off-peak and they're off themselves.

I do agree it's surprising there's no announcement, but I'm sure there's an explanation for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The admins
    bahamas-tourist-offic,6140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yet here you are at 4.20 AM!

First world problems indeed!

This might just blow your mind but when you don't live in Ireland you're not necessarily in the same timezone. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

It's pretty amazing that nobody could really be bothered to say anything about this. Yes, it's a free site but it's hardly good practice to not even post an announcement that the site is having some issues but it is being resolved.

This site wouldn't exist without its users and it would be a good idea to keep them informed particularly when issues like this seem to crop up very regularly over the past year.

It's getting to the point where the site is becoming unusable. A bit of management over the issue wouldn't go astray.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Getting 503s again :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every time I log in I get the most recent posts showing as yesterday until I refresh the screen and then sometimes it corrects. A site notice would be useful. Perhaps even taking the site down to correct the issues might be more expedient.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Still all over the place unfortunately, distinctly worse in the touch site for me... Skipping pages, errors, reverting back to last nights posts as the latest posts in threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Hold on a second.

Have people out there forgot that we're nothing more than guests on a private discussion forum? What's with the entitlement posts all of a sudden?

I get that it's frustrating, and I offered a suggestion myself that might very well speed up fixing whatever's causing the problem, but I think some of us really need to rein it in a little, or a lot.

This site owes you nothing. I think some people need to be reminded of that from time to time.

Most of us are aware that Boards.ie is a private discussion forum and perhaps it does indeed owe us nothing. But we also should not forget that Boards.ie owes its very existence to us guests. I have in the past subscribed to this site as a small token of my appreciation for what it has given me. And I absolutely agree that it is unfair and rude of some posters to snipe at those who work behind the scenes on Boards.ie. However after logging in today, I can't help but feel both a sense of surprise & disappointment, that nobody has provided any update or clarification to users on these continuing technical issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

If I see page 6 of this thread again I am going to scream.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

From my knowledge of the setup (admittedly 2 years old at this stage) write activity like new posts, marking threads as read etc get written to the master/primary database and then replicated down to slaves which are read-only. Getting your notification badge, loading pages of posts etc hit the read-only slaves. For each page load a slave is chosen at random. Slaves can fall behind the master for lots of reasons - crashes, excessive load, lots of writes (slave replication is single threaded). Problems like this affect Facebook and other companies that use native mySQL replication and could very well be non-trivial to fix.

What we're seeing smells a lot like one or more of the slaves has fallen behind but not all of them. That's why a few refreshes sorts it out. Couple that theory with the mySQL errors on www8 over the weekend and yeah, some DB hamsters are having trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

With respects, it's a trading entity making money from it's users through advertising and subscribing just like every other "free" service provided by other dot coms.

A quick "we're in a spot of bother here lads, may be a few days before we have a fix" wouldn't be a lot to ask.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Threads are loosing posts- which randomly disappear/reappear when you refresh.
    PM indicator randomly advising of new messages- or none- number going up and down without any user intervention.
    Error message- server side latency issues
    503 Error
    Random database error
    Site unreachable.

Tracert is entirely normal

Reboot?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Threads are loosing posts- which randomly disappear/reappear when you refresh.
    PM indicator randomly advising of new messages- or none- number going up and down without any user intervention.
    Error message- server side latency issues
    503 Error
    Random database error
    Site unreachable.

Tracert is entirely normal

Reboot?

If it's replication lag you can remove the affected read slaves & hope they catch up. This might be problematic if your site load is too high for the remaining database servers and will result in downtime. You can try to find the issue with replication - a disk about to fail that's writing slower than it used to etc. Kind of implies you have good system metrics already that you can compare to. Or you could go nuclear, swallow an hour of downtime and turn off the site; giving replication a chance to catch up. That's no guarantee it won't go behind again though :o

It's possible the setup has moved on and implemented some caching in front of the databases and that's the problem, at which point I'm out. The worrying thing here is that this thread's two days old; which for a business is a pretty crap response time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭novarock

Site is pretty unusable, click into a forum, says the last post was 12 hours ago, refresh 4 or 5 times, see the newest posts, click into the post, won't bring you to the last page. Caching issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm sure what's also probably not helping matters is people refreshing pages multiple times to update them, which are probably causing extra stress on the site.

I mean, I'm no computerstitian, but that's my expert opinion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I was quoting one of the above posts- only now I'm getting a message to say the post I'm quoting doesn't exist.

I think the nuclear option- shutdown and a replacement of dying hardware- if that is the issue- needs to be done- even if it means taking everything offline for a few hours.

Issues are getting worse by the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Update for you all here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057503701

I'm going to close this thread off so I have one single place to manage all the news and keep you all up to date.

Again, as I said on the other thread, I'm very sorry that news from our end hasn't been as forthcoming as our usual standard - we've let you down and we're doing our best to make it up to you all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement