Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Argentina would eat us alive with a performance like that. As for NZ, doesn't even bear thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

At least we havent gone out at the pool stage. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

A game that limited wont get us far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Sexton does what Murray should have done. Puts the ball into touch. Jesus. Nothing to be gained from a phase or two.

Murray is too comfortable. He's miles better than Reddan when even on average form though but he can't be allowed to play like that unhindered. I don't know what you can do though, he probably knows that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not going to win this

This was the moment I knew we'd win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

WarZ wrote: »
    Awful Awful Awful.

Peter O'Mahony will be dropped. Murray is world class and will remain. You'd question Bowe's place with Earls playing so well. Cronin is in better form than Best but Best is vital to all set plays.

Pom other than that dumb clear out was one of pur best players I thought.

Murray was crap. The whole backline was meh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Sexton goal kicking mediocre as per usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

No creativity in the back line what so ever. Wingers kicking the ball away aimlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,643 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭threeball

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Dealt with everything pretty well, made his tackles. Not much in an attacking sense but literally none of our backs have been a threat.

He had virtually nothing to contend with in defence either. He consistently slows his run going into contact and ends up struggling to recycle the ball as a result as the defender had next to nothing to do to take him to ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭RoutineBites

Peter O'Mahony will be dropped..

No he won't. Easily best Irish forward along with Henderson.

Madigan to 9!

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Cronin is in better form than Best but Best is vital to all set plays.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,338 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

All our big players had poor games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Too slow and mechanical. Not able to clear out Italians. Speed will undo them against France. After that match.....it's not going to be pretty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

efb wrote: »
    Kick up the hole we need maybe?

Possibly one interview I read had Schmidt saying he was targeting a win by a couple of points

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Earls in the centre is not a thing we should try again. I know it was enforced but if Payne can't play next weekend I wouldn't want Earls in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

No he won't. Easily best Irish forward.

The best Irish forward was Henderson by a mile. Not a player that was yellow carded within a 7pt game with 10 mins to go and Italy with massive momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah game pretty much went the way I thought it would. I'm not too worried tbh. First proper test for the first xv.

Earls was fantastic but I'd have Payne back please, earls back to the wing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Could've lost that tbh. Pom saved us going behind with that big tackle. Italy missed another kickable pen, and they should've had a scrum on our 22 for a Zebo pass that was miiiiles forward. Really bad performance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Right, that was sluggish. Off to face a Lancaster in the morning- that match brought reality back for me.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭fitz

In fairness, the try which was disallowed was about the only time Italy looked like scoring, and they had a yellow card period. I don't think we need to panic, but Murray's decision making needs to seriously improve from today's performance. He crippled us today.
    Earls was ok, but we missed Payne in the centre imo.

Graces didn't help either, wildly inconsistent, letting Italy away with stuff he pinged us for.

Job done, need to pick out up a serious notch next week.

Henderson MOTM

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah game pretty much went the way I thought it would. I'm not too worried tbh. First proper test for the first xv.

Earls was fantastic but I'd have Payne back please, earls back to the wing

Think it showed that Earls should stick to the wing tbh. tried to force too many offloads and some weak tackles. His explosiveness and pace are lethal, should be himself and DK starting on the wings.

Well at least I'm off to see Ireland in the QF

• Administrators Posts: 53,707 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Henderson fantastic again, POM was very good bar his brain fart at the end. Thought Murray and Sexton were a bit average. Earls did alright at 13, Henshaw solid enough at 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

now i am worried. We played like that in the warm ups but it wasnt overly important. Murray was garbage today and I still dont understand the inside pass ALL THE TIME.

POM had a poor game, tackle on Furno aside. Gave away penalties when we had italy on their own 5m line twice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Earls in the centre is not a thing we should try again. I know it was enforced but if Payne can't play next weekend I wouldn't want Earls in there.

Earls was top class, we just kept kicking the ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

That was tense. Not impressed by Jonny today, missing two kicks, then kicking the ball out to touch at the end, thought wojld have still tried for a drop or pressed for the line. I know the bonus point probably makes no difference to italy at this point, but an attempt at a few more points might have made the differnece from a poor game to a good finish.

Need to buck up for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

noway12345 wrote: »
    Earls was top class, we just kept kicking the ball!

I thought he was poor in defense but maybe I'm wrong. Still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Payne is back for next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement