Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Italy seemed to win the collisions. Can't stand off the French like that if we are going to win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

Think it showed that Earls should stick to the wing tbh. tried to force too many offloads and some weak tackles. His explosiveness and pace are lethal, should be himself and DK starting on the wings.

Kearney had a poor match, albeit with very limited opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

WarZ wrote: »
    Awful Awful Awful.

Peter O'Mahony will be dropped. Murray is world class and will remain. You'd question Bowe's place with Earls playing so well. Cronin is in better form than Best but Best is vital to all set plays.

Best was outstanding. Simply outstanding, he is one of first names on sheet. 100% line out and outstanding effort around park both in defence and attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

noway12345 wrote: »
    Earls was top class, we just kept kicking the ball!

TOP CLASS? He threw a few awful offloads which turned over possession when we were building some phases. Poor decision making.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    That was tense. Not impressed by Jonny today, missing two kicks, then kicking the ball out to touch at the end, thought wojld have still tried for a drop or pressed for the line. I know the bonu6s point probably makes no difference to italy at this point, but an attempt at a few more points might have made the differnece from a poor game to a good finish.

Need to buck up for next week.

You're disappointed he kicked the ball out in a one score game, and instead you reckon we should have tried for a drop goal? Honestly what the hell.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

That was tense. Not impressed by Jonny today, missing two kicks, then kicking the ball out to touch at the end, thought wojld have still tried for a drop or pressed for the line. I know the bonus point probably makes no difference to italy at this point, but an attempt at a few more points might have made the differnece from a poor game to a good finish.

Could easily have lost the ball to Italy and ended up drawing the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

A well deserved kick up the backside for both the team and the many over confident fans. Italy played well and I don't want to take anything away from the them but we were poor and if it wasn't for white line fever and a disfunctional line out from Italy we could have lost it.

Anyway, we will press the reset button next week. I'm kind of glad that the tag of favourites may well have gone completely for next wed and that will suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Not a good game at all by any means but Ireland being on top of Pool D is not a bad result in the interim.

But they will need a big wake up call to go up against the French next week. That is where Ireland's destiny will lie from next week on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

We got the win, but that was unacceptable. We're supposed to be the northern hemisphere team rivaling the likes of the wallabies, pumas, boks and to a degree NZ. Today we showed no qualities that could even compare.

We can play so well that its so frustrating to see us playing so negatively, tactically Italy had us on the ropes sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I would not say Earls was top class, but he wasn't awful either

• Advertisement

That was tense. Not impressed by Jonny today, missing two kicks, then kicking the ball out to touch at the end, thought wojld have still tried for a drop or pressed for the line. I know the bonus point probably makes no difference to italy at this point, but an attempt at a few more points might have made the differnece from a poor game to a good finish.

no no no. game was won, level with france on points. Ahead on PD. Just dont take any chances. right decision

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

That's nonsense ! Go for a pointless drop - possibly miss and allow Italy a chance to attack? Crazy comment !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I really believe that a win is a win is a win.
    But that wasn't enjoyable at all! It's good to be properly tested before France. Good to know that there's room to improve and for intensity to come up but I'm fairly nervous now going forward

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Italy were out It should have been in the stand 10 seconds earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 13,670 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

big problems in the back row - pedestrian - Heaslip of the pace , worst game I have seen from O'Brien - needs re-arranging for next week , Henry must start at 7 , SOB come of the bench , or at 8 - but something must change to give us something - Aussies back row played the game at a different level , and we were outplayed by Italy in the back row.

Payne must come in for Earls, and Rob K for Zebo

• Registered Users Posts: 38,335 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hair dryer treatment needed by Joe. Hopefully this is our bad game out of our system. We seem to play well in Cardiff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

awec wrote: »
    Henderson fantastic again, POM was very good bar his brain fart at the end. Thought Murray and Sexton were a bit average. Earls did alright at 13, Henshaw solid enough at 12.

Just going to have to disagree with the POM was very good talk. He was very quiet, gave away stupid penalties then got sent off with 10 minutes to go - in a game Italy were gathering momentum in - with an incredibly stupid infringement. He made a great try saving tackle but then again if Henderson or SOB were playing 6 they would just as likely make it, it was a second row out on the wing after all.

For me O'Mahony is just not doing enough to justify keeping the likes of Henderson from his very best position and BOTH Henry out of the starting squad and Toner (one would be acceptable as Henderson must start)

I think there's an element as well that the players like Sexton, Murray and O'Connell need to see that no one is undroppable to give them a kick up the arse. Now you can't realistically drop any of those 3 but you can drop O'Mahony who would be up there in most team mates eyes as undroppable and make them question their own performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

aimee1 wrote: »
    TOP CLASS? He threw a few awful offloads which turned over possession when we were building some phases. Poor decision making.

1 poor offload on half time. Our game is so limited that we need someone like Earls to make a break or half break to make an offload. Joe will pick Payne though. Any of the top teams will easily stop us as we're far too predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

efb wrote: »
    I would not say Earls was top class, but he wasn't awful either

He's looked very lively but the ****ty offloads took the gloss off his game.

People need to clam down, anyone who thought we were going to give Italy a hiding knows very little about rugby. Relax people. Italy are a proud team and were always going to have a game in them. Ireland needed that game to get ready next week. It is ideal preparation to be honest, dampen down the hype machine a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

When you get the ball past the 80 in a one score game when you don't have 3 tries already on the board there's nothing to gain and a truck load to potentially lose by not ending the match there and then.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He's looked very lively but the ****ty offloads took the gloss off his game.

Not Earls fault. If he was playing with Australia or in Schmidt's Leinster side they would have come off and he would have come out smelling like roses.

noway12345 wrote: »
    1 poor offload on half time. Our game is so limited that we need someone like Earls to make a break or half break to make an offload. Joe will pick Payne though. Any of the top teams will easily stop us as we're far too predictable.

there was another 1 or 2. Not just 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Expectations have been suitably dampened. Played like they did not want to be there.

Wish we could play with a little swagger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Brewster wrote: »
    People need to clam down, anyone who thought we were going to give Italy a hiding knows very little about rugby. Relax people. Italy are a proud team and were always going to have a game in them. Ireland needed that game to get ready next week. It is ideal preparation to be honest, dampen down the hype machine a little.

Well said! Poor performance none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Most importantly, win or draw next Sunday and we've topped the pool

Best was outstanding. Simply outstanding, he is one of first names on sheet. 100% line out and outstanding effort around park both in defence and attack.

Best could easily been MOTM. Heaslip was a little off today, but he will bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Were the people praising Earls for a great game watching a different match to me? He made some pretty glaring mistakes. He's fine on the wing, I wouldn't want him playing in the centre again.

Complete nonsense. This was a massive game for Ireland too, this was our first big one when we were meant to step up a gear, and with competition for places so massive it was a game that the entire team would have been massively up for.

To somehow try say Italy were more up for this game than Ireland is making excuses for a shocking Irish team performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Haha! Jaysus!

Some of the posts in here do be gas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement