Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

I get a bit tired of Matt Williams saying "We"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I felt the performance was extremely underwhelming.

Huge lack of accuracy and intensity.
    Back row weren't dominant in any way.

The incessant kicking game and minimal recovery of box kicks did my head in but I understand it given the hands weren't working particularly well.

Bench could have been used earlier in the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,103 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A big, big win today. Italy played to their strengths and and wanted to slow us down and they succeeded in same; we just did enough to keep the heads above water and to beat them. It wasn't pretty but this sort of rugby never is; we did what we had to. This is the sort of football that wins titles and tonight Ireland showed it when it mattered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

POM has the cheerleaders crying out for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

WarZ wrote: »
    POM has the cheerleaders crying out for him.

God forbid people have a differing opinion to you.

• Advertisement

The fact that the Munster pundits really need to say HOW MAGNIFICENT O'Mahony was, showing us two tackles (one great, ONE VERY STANDARD) tells you all we need to know. Everyone is aware his place his under massive pressure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Brewster wrote: »
    People need to clam down, anyone who thought we were going to give Italy a hiding knows very little about rugby. Relax people. Italy are a proud team and were always going to have a game in them. Ireland needed that game to get ready next week. It is ideal preparation to be honest, dampen down the hype machine a little.

I disagree, we're not the team of 10 years ago who look to just about get past teams like Italy. We are now an outfit that have the achievements back up our claims. We should have won that game comfortably, maybe not by a huge gap but we should have been in control. Today we did neither, we kept them within one score finishing out today due to our own lack of discipline, our sloppyness and a back line which didn't function. If we are going to start aiming to be world beaters we better start believing we're world beaters. New Zealand supporters wouldn't settle for that performance, nor Australians or South Africans, why should we?. It was a terrible performance where if anything Italy deserved the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Complete nonsense. This was a massive game for Ireland too, this was our first big one when we were meant to step up a gear, and with competition for places so massive it was a game that the entire team would have been massively up for.

To somehow try say Italy were more up for this game than Ireland is making excuses for a shocking Irish team performance.

I'm sorry, this is about a four game group. Players see it this way too. It was always about next week. Today's performance will have NO bearing on next weeks game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

aimee1 wrote: »
    there was another 1 or 2. Not just 1.

It was one before half time. The second offload should have been held by Kearney.

I'm sorry, this is about a four game group. Players see it this way too. It was always about next week. Today's performance will have NO bearing on next weeks game.

I think it will. Players weren't treating this Italian game like the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

The fact that the Munster pundits really need to say HOW MAGNIFICENT O'Mahony was, showing us two tackles (one great, ONE VERY STANDARD) tells you all we need to know. Everyone is aware his place his under massive pressure.

Oh lord... Could you drop the provincial BS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Same problem Ireland suffered in the 6nations haunting them again - they have very little by way of attack. Reliant on kicking and set-piece plays. These guys aren't conditioned to play with their heads up. We saw that with Leinster over the last couple of seasons.

But it's nothing new, no cause for panic. Thankfully its Owens against France which plays right into their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭UnknownEntity

No one seems to be talking about Dave Kearney. He was non existent that whole game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

noway12345 wrote: »
    It was one before half time. The second offload should have been held by Kearney.

the offload was at his knee height. It was not on. Blaming Kearney is a joke tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Don't buy this. Earls(again unnecessarily) fired it at Kearney's legs at pace. He could have just held on to it.

The result was the Italians getting numbers out wide and almost scoring a try in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Not Earls fault. If he was playing with Australia or in Schmidt's Leinster side they would have come off and he would have come out smelling like roses.

Of course it's his fault. The team aren't supposed to offload. It simply wasn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

haiyna wrote: »
    No one seems to be talking about Dave Kearney. He was non existent that whole game!

The ball rarely got to him. Can't do much about that.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Oh lord... Could you drop the provincial BS

It has nothing to do with provincial nonsense. I am saying that the Munster pundits are at pains to point out how good O'Mahony was because understandably they know more than most how good he can be. However by showing us two clips, one of a fantastic tackle and one of a fairly average one it shows that there was literally **** all positive footage to show because Hook and Stringer are both AT PAINS to point out the positives from POM's performance to make up for that brainless YC

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

That might have some truth if we hadn't been beaten in 2 of the last 3 games against top tier teams but everything since the win over Wales a couple of months back suggests a team well away from its peak

aimee1 wrote: »
    the offload was at his knee height. It was not on. Blaming Kearney is a joke tbh.

No, Kearney kneed the ball with his knee raised. It was high enough to gather and if so he was clean through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Yes but we haven't had a really good Irish performance since 6 nations. I don't think it is just a matter of turning it on against France and beyond. There hasn't been a gradual improvement in performances. I hope I'm wrong and Joe can flick the switch but somehow i dont think it is that simple.

Didn't see him once.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Don't buy this. Earls(again unnecessarily) fired it at Kearney's legs at pace. He could have just held on to it.

The result was the Italians getting numbers out wide and almost scoring a try in the corner.

He didn't, Kearney kneed it. That's the kind of break we need, ok it didn't come off but it's what we're lacking.

Actually he made a nice break but that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

I think it will. Players weren't treating this Italian game like the others.

Well I can can say, in a polite as way as possible, is that your posts display the very little understanding of the mentality of an international sports person, given the group we are in and how the fixtures have been dealt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

murray to sexton, inside pass, knocked on. At no point did either winger get a decent bit of service. We made too many basic errors and too many poor decisions made it too easy for Italy. We had them in their own 22, 5m from their line and POM gave away penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Nobody was class today, not even Henderson, who was the best performer on the pitch.

A lot of the individuals were decent enough, with a few notable exceptions but as a unit, we never really got going. Just seemed off the pace, lacking intensity and invention. The try was nicely-taken but that was it really from the backs. The forwards didn't get on top at all, ever, we seemed to be very slow to get to the breakdown.

SOB was quiet by his standards, possibly reflected in Henry coming on. Hopefully he'll be at his best next week, he's such a key player for us. I thought Best was good though.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    The ball rarely got to him. Can't do much about that.

Bowe had way more impact.

He didn't, Kearney kneed it. That's the kind of break we need, ok it didn't come off but it's what we're lacking.

I would agree. Earls was at least trying stuff out there, he keeps his place but on the wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Poor performance but we are through !
    Joe will have them hitting brick walls next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement