Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

One of our biggest problems is the balance in the backrow is all wrong. I really feel we need Henry in the side if we are to make a big impression in this tournament. Heaslip has been decidedly average so far in this tournament. SOB only ok today and POM played well other than a rush of blood to the head at the end. We need Henry in there to give us a presence on the deck. And I feel if Henderson is at 4 we have to have Mahony at 6 for his line-out work. That leaves either SOB or Heaslip on the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

haiyna wrote: »
    No one seems to be talking about Dave Kearney. He was non existent that whole game!

Was he playing ?

WarZ wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with provincial nonsense. I am saying that the Munster pundits are at pains to point out how good O'Mahony was because understandably they know more than most how good he can be. However by showing us two clips, one of a fantastic tackle and one of a fairly average one it shows that there was literally **** all positive footage to show because Hook and Stringer are both AT PAINS to point out the positives from POM's performance to make up for that brainless YC

What did hook say? Was he in pain or at pain ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Why don't Henderson,Best,Henry make an effort to sing IC.....so grim faced.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

almostover wrote: »
    One of our biggest problems is the balance in the backrow is all wrong. I really feel we need Henry in the side if we are to make a big impression in this tournament. Heaslip has been decidedly average so far in this tournament. SOB only ok today and POM played well other than a rush of blood to the head at the end. We need Henry in there to give us a presence on the deck. And I feel if Henderson is at 4 we have to have Mahony at 6 for his line-out work. That leaves either SOB or Heaslip on the bench.

Sorry but Heaslip is a Trojan of work if you actually watch him, and was vital towards the end. It's complete nonsense. Similarly, SOB is vital for smashing players. We need more players making holes so I'd almost take a gamble and start Healy alongside a backrow of Henderson, SOB and Heaslip which IMO is our best backrow. Toner in the second row guarantees our lineout and gets our maul functioning again.

Also don't underestimate Toner's ability for quick ball both off the lineout but the one everyone forgets, when he's put down his arms are so long that he 100% guarantees no ruck contest and quick clean ball when he places it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I think we saw where Ireland's level is today.
    We could still beat France but Argentina could definitely take us. As POC has said before unless we bring our top intensity we are very average. We have no outstanding back...the type of player who can create something from nothing to change a game. We will go back to plan A for the France game and kick high and plan B (as Keith Wood once said) will be to kick it higher.
    Worrying that scrum replacements struggled. Thought that was our strength.
    One thing that stood out was how wrecked many of the players seemed. Fitness an issue?

Tompatrick wrote: »
    What did hook say? Was he in pain or at pain ?

Meant to say Wood.

Meant to say Wood.

Sorry hard to take you seriously if you're so confused. Are you also mixed some players names up by any chance?

Sorry hard to take you seriously if you're so confused. Are you also mixed some players names up by any chance?

Childish and while im making actual posts dissecting the game and players you seem more interested in petty digs. I wont be replying to you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

Grid. wrote: »
    Why don't Henderson,Best,Henry make an effort to sing IC.....so grim faced.:rolleyes:

Can't tell if you're being serious....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

awec wrote: »
    Henderson fantastic again, POM was very good bar his brain fart at the end. Thought Murray and Sexton were a bit average. Earls did alright at 13, Henshaw solid enough at 12.

I should just read posters like you and ak.

I think we saw where Ireland's level is today.
    We could still beat France but Argentina could definitely take us. As POC has said before unless we bring our top intensity we are very average. We have no outstanding back...the type of player who can create something from nothing to change a game. We will go back to plan A for the France game and kick high and plan B (as Keith Wood once said) will be to kick it higher.
    Worrying that scrum replacements struggled. Thought that was our strength.
    One thing that stood out was how wrecked many of the players seemed. Fitness an issue?

France always up their game in the World Cup and they are our bogey team to begin with. I know we've done well lately but with the way were playing I would not be confident.

As for fitness issues, we've had an easier run in than probably any other team, I think they were exhausted as a team because certainly players were so under par that it made extra work for others.

Childish and while im making actual posts dissecting the game and players you seem more interested in petty digs. I wont be replying to you again.

Grand. Just wanted to check before taking you seriously and engaging with your semi facile points. I have all
    I need to know now. Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Most depressing Irish performance in a number of years. We started sloppily and never really picked it up. Individuals worked hard here and there but as a unit there was no cohesion to what we were doing.

People saying Italy played well is ludicrous really. Their lineout was a joke at this level. Carried zero threat. We kept them in it with brainless penalties and unforced errors.

The only consolation I can take is that we were in a tight finish and closed it out when it was a bit nervy. Other than that, hard to get excited about but in 2011 we were muck against USA and picked it up for Australia and I wouldn't expect a Joe Scmidt team to be bad two games in a row. Hopefully we'll get a reaction next week.

Anyone following Irish Rugby through previous World Cups will just appreciate that part one of the job is done. Now we get into the serious stuff.

Sorry but Heaslip is a Trojan of work if you actually watch him, and was vital towards the end. It's complete nonsense. Similarly, SOB is vital for smashing players. We need more players making holes so I'd almost take a gamble and start Healy alongside a backrow of Henderson, SOB and Heaslip which IMO is our best backrow. Toner in the second row guarantees our lineout and gets our maul functioning again.

Also don't underestimate Toner's ability for quick ball both off the lineout but the one everyone forgets, when he's put down his arms are so long that he 100% guarantees no ruck contest and quick clean ball when he places it

Heaslip was outshone by Parisse in every facet of the game today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Usual ****e in here as always I see.

France always up their game in the World Cup and they are our bogey team to begin with. I know we've done well lately but with the way were playing I would not be confident.

As for fitness issues, we've had an easier run in than probably any other team, I think they were exhausted as a team because certainly players were so under par that it made extra work for others.

Bogey team ? Wrong again ! They havent beaten us in the last four games between Ireland and France ! Maybe you mean a different team than France ? New Zealand would be a bogey team for ireland. Did you mean New Zealand ?

almostover wrote: »
    Heaslip was outshone by Parisse in every facet of the game today

He was coming up against the best 8 in world rugby and was a work horse.

Peter O'Mahony put us down to 14 men, with 10 minutes to go, and Italy looking more and more likely to score a try.

But Heaslip and SOB are the villians on the TV3 coverage.

I honestly watch POM in a lot of games where he's incredibly quiet but people literally laud him for mediocre performances. Whereas Heaslip is torn to pieces when he actually has brilliant games.

Stringer is talking about hands up to carry, I'll wait for the stats but I guarantee that Heaslip and SOB carried a lot more than POM and made more tackles too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

one thing which is hurting us i think is 7 games now and 7 different centre pairings. Something which england have had issues with

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Poor performance but we are through !
    Joe will have them hitting brick walls next week

I'm not sure power is the problem; we seem to lack consistent creativity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Bogey team ? Wrong again ! They havent beaten us in the last four games between Ireland and France ! Maybe you mean a different team than France ? New Zealand would be a bogey team for ireland. Did you mean New Zealand ?

Enough. Don't be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Sorry but our back-row was so off par today, this performance reminded me of the game versus Wales back in 2011. We got killed there and it was the same today.

A good reality check is being handed out to us. I'm not sure if they can discover that incredible intensity to their game we saw in the 6N.

You can't lie the blame on the backline when there is no forward ball. Saying that Earls is a 11 and Zebo is not top class standard.

But I think were in for something special next weekend. Cardiff is a place we love to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Sorry but Heaslip is a Trojan of work if you actually watch him
    You mean like when he got forced backwards out of a ruck by one of the Italian wingers without the slightest hint of resistance? Heaslip has the abilities to be our stand out back row but doesn't play with half enough intensity or aggression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

I think we sometimes over-estimate our players abilities.

He was coming up against the best 8 in world rugby and was a work horse.

Peter O'Mahony put us down to 14 men, with 10 minutes to go, and Italy looking more and more likely to score a try.

But Heaslip and SOB are the villians on the TV3 coverage.

I honestly watch POM in a lot of games where he's incredibly quiet but people literally laud him for mediocre performances. Whereas Heaslip is torn to pieces when he actually has brilliant games.

Stringer is talking about hands up to carry, I'll wait for the stats but I guarantee that Heaslip and SOB carried a lot more than POM and made more tackles too.

POM stole the lineout for our try and prevented Italys one try scoring opportunity. Made some good bursts forward, tackled and was a menace in the lineout.

Parisse is not the best 8 in world rugby. Kieran Read is. And I'd rate Picamoles ahead of Parisse too. I just think against a back row of Dusatoir, Le Roux and Picamoles that we will struggle without some changes

You mean like when he got forced backwards out of a ruck by one of the Italian wingers without the slightest hint of resistance? Heaslip has the abilities to be our stand out back row but doesn't play with half enough intensity or aggression.

I've no idea why that is even discussed. Player loses one ruck shocker. How about him regaining possession twice in the last few minutes when Italy were on the rampage?

I watch Heaslip and he takes on an incredible amount of ball and is vital to that pack. Like I said I will wait for the figures but they will definitely reflect that he was our hardest performing backrow player toady.

How is Heaslip even an issue today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

I'm not sure power is the problem; we seem to lack consistent creativity.

Did you watch the match? No forward ball, we need to win some of the battle up front. If we dont against France, were goosed.

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Sorry but our back-row was so off par today, this performance reminded me of the game versus Wales back in 2011. We got killed there and it was the same today.

A good reality check is being handed out to us. I'm not sure if they can discover that incredible intensity to their game we saw in the 6N.

You can't lie the blame on the backline when there is no forward ball.

But I think were in for something special next weekend. Cardiff is a place we love to play.

Agree with back row points. Real case for changes with the undroppables of O'Brien and Heaslip being replaced.

A back row of Ryan Henderson and O'Mahony with Toner starting at 4 would be more than worth considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement

Agree with back row points. Real case for changes with the undroppables of O'Brien and Heaslip being replaced.

A back row of Ryan Henderson and O'Mahony with Toner starting at 4 would be more than worth considering.

Ryan in the backrow?!

That is probably the silliest selection idea I have heard in a long time. There is absolutely no way Donnacha Ryan should start in our backrow. Ever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement