Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Agree with back row points. Real case for changes with the undroppables of O'Brien and Heaslip being replaced.

A back row of Ryan Henderson and O'Mahony with Toner starting at 4 would be more than worth considering.

Ryan? Get a grip please

SOB, Heaslip Henry is far more likely then what you are suggesting. POM did good things but he did some terrible things too giving Italy easy outs from their own line which is unacceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Irish_rat wrote: »
    Did you watch the match? No forward ball, we need to win some of the battle up front. If we dont against France, were goosed.

Yes I watched the match and we had plenty of good ball that we seemed to kick away or otherwise do nothing with.

Got to change that against France.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Can't tell if you're being serious....

I am......why wear the jersey then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Toner was very good when he came on. Problem is 2 into 1 doesn't go.

Gotta say Henry was fairly good too.

We all know Ireland will bring their A game next week though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Henderson to backrow. Heaslip or O'Brien to the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

5.Toner
    6.Henderson
    7.O'Brien
    8.Heaslip

Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Grid. wrote: »

Singing or not an unofficial anthem is not a measure of anyone's commitment to their team.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

What's our A game? Kick up in the air all the time and chase, the same back line move ie the wrap around. The maul? We have no attacking thread that's hard to read or defend for the top teams. Are we hiding some other moves? Saving them? Highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

Grid. wrote: »

....to play rugby, not sing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

noway12345 wrote: »
    What's our A game? Kick up in the air all the time and chase, the same back line move ie the wrap around. The maul? We have no attacking thread that's hard to read or defend for the top teams. Are we hiding some other moves? Saving them? Highly unlikely.

With Payne and Kearney back into the backline, Henshaw with better match fitness, Earls in his best position and Murray not playing like a drain maybe we will see that creativity we have been missing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Henderson to backrow. Heaslip or O'Brien to the bench.

Madness, SOB and Heaslip were solid today. If there is to be a shift in positioning, it should be Hendo to replace POM and bring Toner into 4.

WarZ wrote: »
    With Payne and Kearney back into the backline, Henshaw with better match fitness, Earls in his best position and Murray not playing like a drain maybe we will see that creativity we have been missing.

That's not the game plan though, Joe has us playing hoof ball!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The same A game that has seen us beat France the last two years in a row, and win the last two 6 Nations in a row.

Jesus. I thought I was pessimistic about Irish Rugby. Yes, we've lots and lots to improve upon. You think Schmidt and the team don't know that?

Madness, SOB and Heaslip were solid today. If there is to be a shift in positioning, it should be Hendo to replace POM and bring Toner into 4.

POM was far better than both O'Brien and Heaslip today!
    I'd have Henderson at 6 though. O'Mahony would be a great impact sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I think we sometimes over-estimate our players abilities.

We are back to back 6 nations champions. Over the course of our coaches tenure, we have beaten everyone there is to beat in the world bar NZ. We are not over estimating anyone by saying we expect this team to be semi final candidates. We are that good. Screw the Irish underdog mentality.

The same A game that has seen us beat France the last two years in a row, and win the last two 6 Nations in a row.

Jesus. I thought I was pessimistic about Irish Rugby. Yes, we've lots and lots to improve upon. You think Schmidt and the team don't know that?

Do you remember World Cup 2007?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

So why drop the better player to keep 2 under performers living on past reputations ???

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Can't agree with that assessment of Heaslip and SOB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭uptherebels

WarZ wrote: »
    I've no idea why that is even discussed. Player loses one ruck shocker. How about him regaining possession twice in the last few minutes when Italy were on the rampage?

I watch Heaslip and he takes on an incredible amount of ball and is vital to that pack. Like I said I will wait for the figures but they will definitely reflect that he was our hardest performing backrow player toady.

How is Heaslip even an issue today?

its not that a winger cleared him out, it was the ease at which it was done.Its not just about work rate ,its effective work rate, no point being at a ruck to make up the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Is Jared Payne going to be available for France? He's in a moon-boot.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    We are back to back 6 nations champions. Over the course of our coaches tenure, we have beaten everyone there is to beat in the world bar NZ. We are not over estimating anyone by saying we expect this team to be semi final candidates. We are that good. Screw the Irish underdog mentality.

Not many of our players would get on a World 15, we have good players but many in Ireland over estimnate how good they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Do you remember World Cup 2007?

If you want to compare our team, coach and performances during 2007 and those in 2015, go ahead. It'd be silly though.

And a loss to France next week won't change that.

So why drop the better player to keep 2 under performers living on past reputations ???

He played better today. To be honest I think it's a huge mistake to play Heaslip in every match but that's what's happened. He's our best 8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

POM gave away more penalties, got YC and conceding more turnovers then SOB and Heaslip but was somehow better then both of them?

Can't agree with that assessment of Heaslip and SOB

O'Mahony was far better than them today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Parisse is some man. <- Match Report.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

....to play rugby, not sing?

....some passion like their team mates wouldn't go astray...or is it just an Ulster thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

People talking about dropping Heaslip are deluded
    POM made 28 metres/ 3 tackles
    Heaslip made 23 metres / 6 tackles
    SOB made 26 metres / 4 tackles
    MJohnston wrote: »
    Singing or not an unofficial anthem is not a measure of anyone's commitment to their team.

Nah I'm with Grid..
    ..They should be taken out and SHOT :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

aimee1 wrote: »
    POM gave away more penalties, got YC and conceding more turnovers then SOB and Heaslip but was somehow better then both of them?

Ah he was. Heaslip was good, not sure why he's coming in for stick, SOB was pretty anonymous but POM was the best of them, yellow card aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Our backline had a ponderous, slow-mo look today, familiar to chronic Irish WC fans, passing out wide before the tackle as the Italians just waited to stop us near the touchline. The Argies will have no trouble against us if we don't buck up, let alone that other crowd I will not mention. No speed, no power, no creativity, no accuracy. Apart from that, though...

My favourite moment was Henderson blocking Allan's kick and then reprising Stephen Ferris against the Aussies by carrying Gori back. That showed a bit of the urgency we will need from everybody to stay in this tournament.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement