Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Best was the other standout performance I thought, got through a lot of work.

POC was pretty poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

WarZ wrote: »
    It has nothing to do with provincial nonsense. I am saying that the Munster pundits are at pains to point out how good O'Mahony was because understandably they know more than most how good he can be. However by showing us two clips, one of a fantastic tackle and one of a fairly average one it shows that there was literally **** all positive footage to show because Hook and Stringer are both AT PAINS to point out the positives from POM's performance to make up for that brainless YC

Yet he won us the game.

Yellow card was bs... it was a peno at most.

He was also the only br player that made yards with every carry he made

There was a lot bigger issues with our game today that what POM did or didnt do

However feel free to spin it whatever why suits your agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Parisse is some man. <- Match Report.

Someone said Reid is best no. 8 in world . he may well be cos he plays with top team. Could you imagine parisse playing with one of the tri nations. That would be immense. The man should be considered a living legend for shining on world stage in what is at best a mediocre team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Madness, SOB and Heaslip were solid today. If there is to be a shift in positioning, it should be Hendo to replace POM and bring Toner into 4.

While I wouldn't drop either in a million years, both Heaslip and SOB weren't great really. Heaslip was the better of the two but even solid is generous. I thought POM was better than both, but it wasn't as if he was great either. Our forwards continually struggled to make an impact, they weren't really making the hard yards, we weren't good at the breakdown really, our maul wasn't the force it should be.

I don't know if Joe will bring Toner in for POM though, I think it would be harsh on POM tbh. I would agree with the consensus from during the week though, that Toner is a start-or-nothing player. Ryan is a better sub imo.... but Toner is an important part of the way we have been playing over the past 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Welcome to the WC ladies & gents.

Win is a win I guess ........ but if the Irish back line stand off the French next week like they did today it will be a long old afternoon and a heavy defeat.

If the Italians had a line out they may well have won that game.

Also I think the officials should have looked at the Earls try ..... The pass from Henshaw looked forward to me ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Grid. wrote: »
    ....some passion like their team mates wouldn't go astray...or is it just an Ulster thing?

It's an ulster thing. They play better for their province because they don't have to sing beforehand.

It's actually a ilttle known fact that Rory Best is tone deaf and gets embarrassed when he has to sing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

aimee1 wrote: »
    POM gave away more penalties, got YC and conceding more turnovers then SOB and Heaslip but was somehow better then both of them?

Because he actually got involved, made more tackles, made more yards, stole lineout ball and a try saving tackle also that could have made the result so, so different....easy to forget the positives isn't it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

....some passion like their team mates wouldn't go astray...or is it just an Ulster thing?

Okay.....so that post can go and sh1te. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Welcome to the WC ladies & gents.

Win is a win I guess ........ but if the Irish back line stand off the French next week like they did today it will be a long old afternoon and a heavy defeat.

If the Italians had a line out they may well have won that game.

Also I think the officials should have looked at the Earls try ..... The pass from Henshaw looked forward to me ....
    They did look at AFAIK.......but yes I thought it was forward too.

We got away with an outrageously forward pass towards the end, which wasn't picked up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gamma001

Not a great performance but no injuries and we are qualified for the quarters. We would have taken that 3 weeks ago.

Although they were all saying they were only thinking about the game ahead of them, I don't believe it. I think much more time has been spent working on France the past few weeks a la IRE v AUS and IRE v NZ in 2013. At least I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

If you want to compare our team, coach and performances during 2007 and those in 2015, go ahead. It'd be silly though.

And a loss to France next week won't change that.

Why's that? We were looking good going into 2007 aswell. This looks like a repeat. Hopefully not but it doesn't look good.

POM gave away more penalties, got YC and conceding more turnovers then SOB and Heaslip but was somehow better then both of them?

Yes, he did far more good stuff than the other two. You failed to mention the good stuff for some reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We got away with an outrageously forward pass towards the end, which wasn't picked up either.

The one to Fitz? Don't think it was a forward pass, I think momentum brought it forward.

giving away 1 peno more and 1 turnover more isnt really much of an argument

but if you want to go down that road, he carried more ball, stole more lineout, made more meters and beat more defenders than the other 2 but sure what difference does that make

Fireball07 wrote: »
    While I wouldn't drop either in a million years, both Heaslip and SOB weren't great really. Heaslip was the better of the two but even solid is generous. I thought POM was better than both, but it wasn't as if he was great either. Our forwards continually struggled to make an impact, they weren't really making the hard yards, we weren't good at the breakdown really, our maul wasn't the force it should be.

I don't know if Joe will bring Toner in for POM though, I think it would be harsh on POM tbh. I would agree with the consensus from during the week though, that Toner is a start-or-nothing player. Ryan is a better sub imo.... but Toner is an important part of the way we have been playing over the past 2 years.

Ill be honest, i hope that our crap game out of our system.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Teferi wrote: »
    The one to Fitz? Don't think it was a forward pass, I think momentum brought it forward.

Yes that's the one. I'll have another look at it, but I was fully expecting to hear the whistle with the Italians in an attacking position.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Okay.....so that post can go and sh1te. I'm out.

Relax man.....no need to go off the deep end:P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Having reflected I think it's a bit unfair to single out any single person for criticism. Everyone was either poor or completely anonymous.

Henderson, maybe Henshaw and POM (until the card) were the only players that showed anything positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

For me its simple. Toner is vital to the way Ireland play. He is vital for the quickest lineout ball, he is vital for our rolling maul and he is vital for our backline in that he provides the quickest ruck ball when he is tackled.

Henderson is undroppable and his best position (and only one in the back row) is 6.

The solution is simple. You drop POM, bring back a vital player to our forwards and have our best performing player playing in his best position.

The other solution is you can continue these mediocre performances by changing nothing or you can drop one of SOB and Heaslip and put POM into either of two positions that he has not played in for a very long time and completely rejig the back row bringing two of the three starters into new positions.

The simple solution is best IMO.

Having reflected I think it's a bit unfair to single out any single person for criticism. Everyone was either poor or completely anonymous.

Henderson, maybe Henshaw and POM (until the card) were the only players that showed anything positive.

Earls was very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭bunnyarmstrong

Relax man.....no need to go off the deep end:P

I've had a lot of Whiskey. :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

noway12345 wrote: »
    Earls was very good.

I disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

On the way home now. Disappointed with our half backs today, played the game in wrong areas. All of Italys points were the result of mistakes in our own half, we should never have been there in the first place. Italy were useless when they were given the ball in their own half.

We finally corrected our misuse of the ball in the last 10-15 minutes but the change should have come 30 minutes earlier. Half backs and on-field leadership should take the blame for that. A bit of a shock when they're such a valuable part of our team most days. Outside of that we had some good performances. Henderson and POM made the difference for us up front over and over again.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I disagree.

Me too, apart from the try he seemed lifeless

WarZ wrote: »
    For me its simple. Toner is vital to the way Ireland play. He is vital for the quickest lineout ball, he is vital for our rolling maul and he is vital for our backline in that he provides the quickest ruck ball when he is tackled.

Henderson is undroppable and his best position (and only one in the back row) is 6.

The solution is simple. You drop POM, bring back a vital player to our forwards and have our best performing player playing in his best position.

The other solution is you can continue these mediocre performances by changing nothing or you can drop one of SOB and Heaslip and put POM into either of two positions that he has not played in for a very long time and completely rejig the back row bringing two of the three starters into new positions.

The simple solution is best IMO.

where do i even being with this.....

Quickest lineout ball? what are you smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

noway12345 wrote: »
    Why's that? We were looking good going into 2007 aswell. This looks like a repeat. Hopefully not but it doesn't look good.

No, it doesn't look like a repeat. Here are our games against non-French group opposition.

2007:
    Ireland 32 - 17 Namibia.
    Ireland 14 - 10 Georgia.
    Ireland 15 - 30 Argentina.

In these games, we pretty much played the same team all the time because we had no real alternatives, and Eddie O'Sullivan didn't like to deviate. We nearly lost to Georgia, Leamy's arm being the saviour and were cack against Namibia. Argentina comfortably dispatched us in the final game.

2015:
    Ireland 50 - 7 Canada
    Ireland 44 - 10 Romania
    Ireland 16 - 9 Italy.

In these games, we've played a variety of players, given everyone gametime and bar the Italy game, have been utterly comfortable and have run up scores against the teams we should run up scores against. Even against an Italian side with nothing to lose, playing for the WC life, we beat them - we were very poor and still won. Not pretty, not great, but we did it all the same. They are the Argentina of our group in 2007. We're already qualified for the quarter finals.

The only thing that compares to 2007 is that we came into it with the expectation that we top the group.

You compare the two World Cups all the same though, go on ahead.

Stheno wrote: »
    Me too, apart from the try he seemed lifeless

Anytime he got the ball it looked like he could make a break, unfortunately he didn't get on much ball. That's because we kicked it a mile up in the air ALL the time.

On the way home now. Disappointed with our half backs today, played the game in wrong areas. All of Italys points were the result of mistakes in our own half, we should never have been there in the first place. Italy were useless when they were given the ball in their own half.

We finally corrected our misuse of the ball in the last 10-15 minutes but the change should have come 30 minutes earlier. Half backs and on-field leadership should take the blame for that. A bit of a shock when they're such a valuable part of our team most days. Outside of that we had some good performances. Henderson and POM made the difference for us up front over and over again.

The second box kick that murray did after bowes catch was prob one of his biggest brain farts ever... he didnt even look left to see the maaaaaaassssssssiiiiiiiiiivvvvvvvveeeeeeeeee overlap.

Also sexton missing that last peno could have proven very costly if it had been anyone but italy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

twinytwo wrote: »
    where do i even being with this.....

Quickest lineout ball? what are you smoking?

He does this rapid tap down off lineout ball with perfection right into the hands of any scrumhalf nearly every single time (unless were going for the rolling maul).

No other second row can do this. I suggest you look out for it next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Thoughts on the Olympic Stadium as a venue? crowd seemed a bit far back, atmosphere a bit down on other games.

Doing the mexican wave when the Italians had a penalty was odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement