Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RWC'15 Pool D: Ireland vs Italy, RWC. KO Sunday 4:45PM TV3/ITV1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

noway12345 wrote: »
    Yes, he did far more good stuff than the other two. You failed to mention the good stuff for some reason though.

i already did in previous post but the vital things he did that hurt the team costing them good field position is unacceptable and needless.

Hooper last night did something similar [I think he might be cited although it was shoulder on shoulder] but at least Hooper actually cleared the ruck. POM just dropped the shoulder into the neck of Furno [?] for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

where is all those with the 30+ predictions???

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

efb wrote: »
    where is all those with the 30+ predictions???

Not 30+, but I predicted a bigger win on a different board...how wrong can you be?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭noway12345

No, it doesn't look like a repeat. Here are our games against non-French group opposition.

2007:
    Ireland 32 - 17 Namibia.
    Ireland 14 - 10 Georgia.
    Ireland 15 - 30 Argentina.

In these games, we pretty much played the same team all the time because we had no real alternatives, and Eddie O'Sullivan didn't like to deviate. We nearly lost to Georgia, Leamy's arm being the saviour and were cack against Namibia. Argentina comfortably dispatched us in the final game.

2015:
    Ireland 50 - 7 Canada
    Ireland 44 - 10 Romania
    Ireland 16 - 9 Italy.

In these games, we've played a variety of players, given every gametime and bar the Italy game, have been utterly comfortable and have run up scores against the teams we should run up scores against. Even against an Italian side with nothing to lose, playing for the WC life, we beat them - we were very poor and still won. Not pretty, not great, but we did it all the same. They are the Argentina of our group in 2007. We're already qualified for the quarter finals.

The only thing that compares to 2007 is that we came into it with the expectation that we top the group.

You compare the two World Cups all the same though, go on ahead.

Before the World Cup in 07 we were going with huge expectations. Talk of semi finals and all that were common. It's exactly the same for this World Cup.
    Before the 07 World Cup we had awful warm up matches, same as this World Cup.
    We may have done a bit better against the minnows in this World Cup but to compare Italy and Argentina is madness. Argentina came third in the 07 World Cup, Italy are a very poor side. Without O'Mahony's tackle we would have drawn with Italy.

You can ignore the similarities if you want but they're obvious.

Not 30+, but I predicted a bigger win on a different board...how wrong can you be?

think we were expecting a much better performance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    Thoughts on the Olympic Stadium as a venue? crowd seemed a bit far back, atmosphere a bit down on other games.

Doing the mexican wave when the Italians had a penalty was odd.

I actually really liked the stadium. I was behind the posts which was much closer to the action though.

The Mexican wave was infuriating but there you go. It just goes with the environment/tournament

noway12345 wrote: »
    Without O'Mahony's tackle we would have drawn with Italy.

no necessarily true.

Lineout on 5m is different starting point to kick off at halfway. the game changes so we dont know what way the game would pan out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Jesus if anything shows the fickle nature of sports fans it's this thread. The amount of **** being spouted is embarrassing.

aimee1 wrote: »
    i already did in previous post but the vital things he did that hurt the team costing them good field position is unacceptable and needless.

Hooper last night did something similar [I think he might be cited although it was shoulder on shoulder] but at least Hooper actually cleared the ruck. POM just dropped the shoulder into the neck of Furno [?] for the sake of it.

If Hooper got a yellow card would you drop him too? O'Mahony made a try saving tackle and important lineout steals, far more effective than O'Brien and Heaslip.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I hope that was the one bad performance is the one that we got away with.

Against the potential opposition from here on that would not be good enough and Sextons place kicking is not as good as most of the top class opposition kickers which could be costly as the tournament progress's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You can ignore the similarities if you want but they're obvious.

There are far more differences than there are similarities, expectations before the World Cup being the only similarity.

Our warm up matches this time around were not awful.

aimee1 wrote: »
    no necessarily true.

Lineout on 5m is different starting point to kick off at halfway. the game changes so we dont know what way the game would pan out then.

A bit like Leamy's arm against Georgia in 07?

There are far more differences than there are similarities, expectations before the World Cup being the only similarity.

Our warm up matches this time around were not awful.

Yes they were. Aswell as our team looking short on ideas it looks very familiar to me. Hopefully it changes v France but I'm really doubting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

You see what you want to see, grand. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭twinytwo

WarZ wrote: »
    He does this rapid tap down off lineout ball with perfection right into the hands of any scrumhalf nearly every single time (unless were going for the rolling maul).

No other second row can do this. I suggest you look out for it next time.

tapping the ball down...christ almighty:rolleyes:... i suppose people will use anything to validate their ideas.

You see what you want to see, grand. I'm out.

Fair enough. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Both 07 and 15 were in Europe. Key similarity.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Both 07 and 15 were in Europe. Key similarity.

Yes, that and the whole list of other similarities.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

POMs penalties were stupid because they were so unnecessary. Italy under pressure just looking to hoof it to touch, that's what is so frustrating, because he does so much good work otherwise but his discipline has to be better, tcup as Woodward used to preach.
    I thought Best and Henderson were the best in green shirts, POC did alright and of the backs earls had a spark and great to see Henshaw back, bowe tried hard.
    The negative points, one dimensional, sexton didn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck, thought he allowed Murray to run it and the kicking was mixed at best. The back row was poor, I thought we would dominate the breakdown like Australia did last night but alas not. The Italian line speed was.excellent, but I thought they really pushed the offside line, whereas we stood off.
    One final positive, I thought our set piece was excellent and with a different ref we would have totally bossed the scrum, he allowed Italy a lot of leeway. Out line out was 100% again and we spoiled a lot of Italian ball.
    So given how good the line out was, I can't but think why we didn't game manage a bit better and pin them back more often, sexton hit a couple of kicks that pushed them back into their 22 but not often enough, we didn't play the percentage game enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

twinytwo wrote: »
    tapping the ball down...christ almighty:rolleyes:... i suppose people will use anything to validate their ideas.

From reading the forum, its referenced a lot. Toner gives quicker lineout ball than any other second row.

He can literally get the ball into the scrumhalfs hands in a split second, and it helps the backline massively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Not sure where the idea sob had a bad game is coming from? He absolutely bossed every collision and cleaned up so many crappy rucks. Every time he got the ball, no matter how poor the pass, he always got over the gainline. Only Hendo made better carries, and even he went backwards a few times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

.ak wrote: »
    Not sure where the idea sob had a bad game is coming from? He absolutely bossed every collision and cleaned up so many crappy rucks. Every time he got the ball, no matter how poor the pass, he always got over the gainline. Only Hendo made better carries, and even he went backwards a few times.

Thought the same tbh he seemed to have a ferocious work rate

I think people are saying O'Mahony played better rather than O'Brien played bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Irish sports fans really do love to **** on their team once the going gets somewhat tough. We will not be this bad against France, simply won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Whatever about any similarities to 2007, it's frustrating to see the same issues plaguing the team. The team is still having issues generating line breaks against top teams, our back line play seems very predictable, ie Sexton loop, garryowen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I don't agree with this at all.
    One of the poorest displays from SOB and an Irish back row in general in quite a while.
    It wasn't for a lack of effort mind, they just couldn't get the upper hand on their Italian counterparts with Parisse and their open side having fine performances.
    Much sterner tests ahead

The Italian open side lined SOB up a few times and stopped him making yards.

SOB became more effective as the game went on and as the Italians tired and then he was replaced by Henry

WarZ wrote: »
    From reading the forum, its referenced a lot. Toner gives quicker lineout ball than any other second row.

He can literally get the ball into the scrumhalfs hands in a split second, and it helps the backline massively.

If you want a view from someone who isn't Irish....Toner is a slow lumbering softy who instills no fear in the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Sean Kinsella

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Irish sports fans really do love to **** on their team once the going gets somewhat tough. We will not be this bad against France, simply won't happen.

With respect, some of us are responding to a poor performance overall and how do you know we'll be better against France? What if they're better too?

I don't agree with this at all.
    One of the poorest displays from SOB and an Irish back row in general in quite a while.
    It wasn't for a lack of effort mind, they just couldn't get the upper hand on their Italian counterparts with Parisse and their open side having fine performances.
    Much sterner tests ahead

The Italian open side lined SOB up a few times and stopped him making yards.

SOB became more effective as the game went on and as the Italians tired and then he was replaced by Henry

It's just amazing that in a game where our back row is being torn to shreds the player with the least amount of tackles, who gave away the most amount of penalties and who was yellow carded was MAGNIFICENT whilst Heaslip and SOB are allegedly poor.

Something's amiss.

• Advertisement

Basil3 wrote: »
    If you want a view from someone who isn't Irish....Toner is a slow lumbering softy who instills no fear in the opposition.

I don't think he is that sort of player either.

He is however vital to our lineout, our rolling maul and in a weird way our backline. He links well but more importantly he ensures quick, clean ruck ball 100% of the times he gets tackled.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement