Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent Support for an LGBT Teenager.

Options
  • 03-10-2015 7:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭

I need to find some online or real life support for an LGBT teenager. They're currently coming to terms with who they are and are feeling a little isolated at the moment. The lines of communication with their parents isn't really open right now and when they try to discuss it they're not getting very far. Her parents just aren't equipped to have these conversations with her.

What supports are out there that she can access? She's a minor.

Any help is really appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Try www.belongto.org

Is this teenager trans?

There are parents supports groups for parents of lgb or trans people

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Try www.belongto.org

Is this teenager trans?

I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Belong to is the best bet

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭tigger123

Try www.belongto.org

Is this teenager trans?

There are parents supports groups for parents of lgb or trans people

Having a browse around it now, it's really good!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

tigger123 wrote: »
    I need to find some online or real life support for an LGBT teenager. They're currently coming to terms with who they are and are feeling a little isolated at the moment. The lines of communication with their parents isn't really open right now and when they try to discuss it they're not getting very far. Her parents just aren't equipped to have these conversations with her.

Phone the gay switchboard and ask them for the number of the parents group. The group was set up years ago by parents of LGBT children and they are there to listen and to answer any questions/fears parents may have.

• Advertisement

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Phone the gay switchboard and ask them for the number of the parents group. The group was set up years ago by parents of LGBT children and they are there to listen and to answer any questions/fears parents may have.

Great group.

http://www.belongto.org/group.aspx?sectionid=7121

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Momoends

I'm an spanierd but if i can be of any help, just tell me

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Momoends

I Was told somewhere dont know when or why that when an homosexual comes out of the clóset the ir parents inmediately come in. Tell Her to think how long it took Her to understand and accept herself, how long it took to feel strong enough to face potencial discrimination...... They need time to assume coming out as homosexual parents, to accept this change in their Lives and its repercutions. They shouldnt push each other in any way.... Just let everyone deal on their on terms

Advertisement