Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alcohol abuse and parenting

Options
  • 03-10-2015 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Recovered alcoholic here. Long story short, I am the mother of a young son. I suffered severe PTSD and post-natal depression, anxiety etc after his birth, and ended up drinking extremely heavily. I was unwell for around 18 months altogether. I'm sober around two months now, but my son's father left me as a result. It was a very difficult break-up, a lot of animosity there. We are both looking for custody, and it's going to court in a couple of months.

Currently my son lives with his father (we were unmarried, and he doesn't have guardianship yet, although he's applied for it and I'm not contesting it.) His father is making all the rules when it comes to allowing me access at the moment, and as a result I rarely see my son. For example, he'll only allow me to be with my son if a family member or friend of mine is present - he knows it's a six-hour round trip for any of them to be there. I've asked that he be present instead to allow me access, but he refuses. I have a letter from my GP stating that I'm sober and healthy and that he'd support me getting custody of my son right now, but my ex refuses to budge. We are awaiting mediation, but I know he won't agree to anything there either.

I guess I'm wondering whether anyone else has experience of getting a child back into their care after alcoholism recovery. I'm genuinely trying to act in my son's best interests here, and he's still so young. He needs to be with his mum.

What can I do to strengthen my position when it goes to court? I'm seeing my GP and psychiatrist regularly, and getting regular counselling. I'm hoping to attend a Relapse Prevention course in the Stanhope Centre. I'm on anti-depressant medication, which seems to be working. I have the support of my GP and my family. I'm attending AA and Lifering meetings regularly (although I'm not sure they'll provide evidence of that for the court, anyone know?)

I know it's usually the other way around, with a mother taking the child from the father because of alcohol abuse. I'm not proud of the mistakes I've made, but I'm strong and healthy now, and want to do what's right for my child. I'd really appreciate any non-judgemental advice or experience. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hi I am just me
    Don't think folks here can or are allowed to give a answer to your question, I think it be best to talk to your AA sponsor and other people who know more of your personnel situation,they would be more professional in putting you in the right direction , good luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Hi,you might get more informative answers in the legal or seperation forums

Advertisement