Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orbo goes on demo (sale?) .. breaks physics :-/

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

If Steorn investors stump up yet more cash the company might keep going. If they don't then the company will fold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

JTMan wrote: »
    Sunday Business Post reports:
    - Devices sold last year did not work.
    - Shaun McCarthy gone as CE.
    - 23 million taken from investors. Looking for more money from investors.
    - Company will wind up if it does not get more money.
    - AGM in August.
    - Might take another 7-10 years to develop the technology.

So, Steorn have taken 23 million from shareholders (including rural farmers according to reports) and do not have a working device a decade later.
    Thanks for that :), especially as SBP have it behind a paywall.

Looks like the ex-CEO hasn't got around to updating his LinkedIn yet

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Pizzle

I just saw that too.

Surely this has to be called as a scam at this stage? They claimed to have a working product, people put orders in, either they didn't arrive or failed when they did...hopefully Shaun McCarthy puts out a statement or something in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I would just like the record to show how well I called it last year :p

If McCarthy has been replaced as CEO, I imagine the investors are going to try and push on with building some actual working electronics, but target the "ultra-premium" market of people who will pay exorbitant sums of money for things that are stylish and overpriced - i.e. the people beyond the Apple market; millionaires and similar.

seamus wrote: »
    I would just like the record to show how well I called it last year :p

If McCarthy has been replaced as CEO, I imagine the investors are going to try and push on with building some actual working electronics, but target the "ultra-premium" market of people who will pay exorbitant sums of money for things that are stylish and overpriced - i.e. the people beyond the Apple market; millionaires and similar.
    Ha, situation seems consistant with that so far, though I wonder whether any customers (if there really were any) have even asked for a refund and, if so, recieved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,852 ✭✭✭zg3409

Ha, situation seems consistent with that so far, though I wonder whether any customers (if there really were any) have even asked for a refund and, if so, received it

There is a mention of one, persistent, person who ordered, getting refunded. It is not surprising even if it is a scam to do this, as one refund might encourage others to hang on. It is common in pyramid schemes to refund vocal complainers while the money is still coming in.

See:
    http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/2016/07/steorn-still-hard-at-work-successful-refund-is-reported/

It has every hallmark of a long con scam. One of my friends got a free t-shirt from them. The only positive outcome!

zg3409 wrote: »
    There is a mention of one, persistent, person who ordered, getting refunded. It is not surprising even if it is a scam to do this, as one refund might encourage others to hang on. It is common in pyramid schemes to refund vocal complainers while the money is still coming in.

See:
    http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/2016/07/steorn-prospects-dim-investors-told-to-chip-in-more-or-lose-it-all/
    Yes - saw that recently
    It has every hallmark of a long con scam. One of my friends got a free t-shirt from them. The only positive outcome!
    :( Some poor investor is down ~5 euro because of that :pac:

Maybe they gave them out to the investors too...in which case they could
    add "I invested in" above the logo and "and all I got was this lousy t-shirt" below :P

The AGM was due to be held this month to decide if Steorn should be liquidated or not. Hopefully, the media report the outcome of this soon.

The AGM was due to be held this month to decide if Steorn should be liquidated or not. Hopefully, the media report the outcome of this soon.
    Used magnets and 'potting' goo anyone? Going cheap

Irish model looking to fill gap in scheduele

etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if any steorn investors are reading this, I have a bridge for sale if anyone is interested. :D

130905113251-solar-boat-tower-bridge-london-horizontal-gallery.jpg

• Advertisement

I have asked for the court date. It could be a boards.ie meetup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Wow, people are mental. There are commenters on that blog that still think Steorn discovered magic but just haven't been able to harness it properly yet. How do people's minds get so twisted?

Steorn has gone into liquidation. All staff have been let go. Shareholders have been notified. 23 million euro down the drain.

Source: Sunday Business Post (article behind paywall).

Steorn has gone into liquidation. All staff have been let go. Shareholders have been notified. 23 million euro down the drain.

Source: Sunday Business Post (article behind paywall).
    Gaah - I wish the SBP would offer a modest-fee per-article viewing option :(, esp as it seems no one else is interested enough to publish anything on it.

For what it's worth, there was more weird stuff on the ex-CEO's ramblings, this time passing the blame to an alleged major investor or something, mentioned here a month ago:
    http://dispatchesfromthefuture.com/2016/09/mccarthy-re-emerges-exposes-break-with-head-investor-pat-corbett/
    (I wasn't interested enough to read more than a little of the now-dismal in(s)anities :pac:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

They nearly have it, just another 23 million euro

YlYZA9p.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,740 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On the SBP, I think they should have an access code on the paper. If you buy the paper you access extra stuff on the website.
    The Irish Farmers Journal does this.
    SBP run stories that others don't, good paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

TallyRand wrote: »
    This is what I would have thought, however, they seem to have stepped up their "marketing" and seem to be actually launching a tangible product imminently.

Surely they believe they have something, could this be the longest winded scam of all time?

How would Apple or even NASA not be all over them if they were the real deal instead of pub launches which is laughable!

I'm scratching my head but can't let it go at the same time

that would be organised religion

Karma that it goes belly up, just coming into Science Week.

• Advertisement

I think the CEO said at one point that they drew a lot of their rounds of funding from farmers.
    They obviously did not approach any one who would have done a full scientific check. Took it from the gullible, like a pyramid scheme. It may McCarthy thought he was onto some thing and kept digging whilst others threw money into the hole.

Water John wrote: »
    On the SBP, I think they should have an access code on the paper. If you buy the paper you access extra stuff on the website.
    The Irish Farmers Journal does this.
    SBP run stories that others don't, good paper.
    Thanks (though it was too late for me to buy the paper when I posted; update: now I see zg3409's post below for the scan :))

(they didn't have it up when I posted yesterday)

ETA: The replacement interim CEO appointed just before liquidation was also CEO of “Irish e-cigarette company Liquid Solutions” :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

For anyone who missed Prime Time's report and interview with McCarthy, here's the RTE Player link:
    Prime Time Extras: Steorn Report

Gwynston wrote: »
    For anyone who missed Prime Time's report and interview with McCarthy, here's the RTE Player link:
    Prime Time Extras: Steorn Report

Thanks – wasn’t aware of that

(Are these PrimeTime ‘Extra’ segments broadcast on TV or just internet?)

It was on Thursday last, after the News RTE 1

Advertisement