Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming annoyed with Apple

• 03-10-2015 10:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭

The staunch defenders of Apple will be out in force here...and that's fine...I want that..because I want to solve these problems as opposed to leaving.

Phone - Iphone 6

I'm on the latest ios9 software. My phone is very buggy and very laggy. I get an email, I go to reply, the whole mail app freezes.

I've restored to factory settings and I've reset all settings - same thing happens.

What becomes clear to me is that there is something inherent in my back up that keeps this happening. I don't want to delete the back up because I want my old text messages etc. Maybe someone has a solution for this.

It just annoys me that one of the big selling points of apple - the availability of these back ups, is causing the problem.

This to me is something that's become widespread with Apple now, a company that you could once rely on. For example, have you ever seen a conversation like this:

"Did you update your phone?"
    "yes"
    "How did you update it?"
    "Over the air"
    "Nah..you want to do it via iTunes...safer..."

This. Why the hell make it possible to update your phone over the wife if it's proven to be unreliable.

My phone is lagging a lot now and, as you can see, it angers me!

iMac

bought at Christmas 2013 for close to 1400. You expect speed, and the reality couldn't be further from it. Love the machine, but it doesn't glide as quickly as one would expect.

Downloaded the latest update and now half my apps won't work as well as the calendar operating at Commodore 64 speeds.

This is a moan thread..but with a point...wasn't Apple known as a superior company, and us apple heads (I have iPad, iPhone, iMac, Apple Tv) wouldn't hear a bad word said about them...but now I'm starting to get tired.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Sorry to hear that. But I think you're going to have bite the bullet and do a full restore on your phone. My iMac is 2011, it runs very smoothly. I've got great broadband too so no issues surfing either. Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭murfilein

do you know this conversation:

"hey, what phone is this?"
    "its a [enter any android phone model name here]"
    "why do you have one of those?"
    "i prefer android"
    "but its so unsecure, you will get hacked and lose all your data, you should get an iphone"

like seriously. did anyone ever had a security-issue with android? at least no one i know (and i mostly know android-users) ever had. to me, its a myth.

i mean sure, if you download a batteryhack.apk from androidhacks.ru you might run into problems. but who does that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I hate the constant updates which make the phone worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Deagol

i was a fairly consistent hater of Apple (mainly because I hate the fanboys and the crazy prices) but when work forced us all to get iphones I was impressed with the product. Not that I'd ever pay the crazy price for one now but...

That was about 4 years ago, now though, it's a mess. Constant crashes, when i answer a call, I have to pause for 2 seconds after swiping the answer thing as it doesn't connect. Email doesn't work 1/2 the time without crashing the app and restarting. Battery life is abysmal since ios8 too.

I'm not going to upgrade to ios9 as I'm worried it will be even worse then 8.

Something has gone very wrong with Apple since I first got an iphone IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Can't say I noticed this on my iPhone 6. It was running well on 9.0.2.

What apps don't work?
    Have you tried setting up as a new phone instead of doing a restore?

As for the iMac, same thing: erase and set up as a new Mac. Yeah, it takes a while. But I've a 2009 machine here running El Capitan pretty well - no lag yet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Jack GrEnglish

Leaving? Is apple a ****ing cult or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No problems here with iPhone 6 either, could you have a faulty phone?

MBP is a different story, it really is starting to feel like a c64 compared to my windows 10 pc, think Windows has finally come of age, well not really until they sort out some integrated virus protection that doesn't require any work from me, besides that much preferring it to OSX now, left Windows full time when it was vista and had Windows 7 on boot camp for the stuff you just can't do on a Mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

Going to add another intermittent problem. Sometimes, the screen is completely unresponsive i.e. when you touch the apps, nothing happen. You need to lock the screen and wait a few seconds before the whole device wakes up.

I doubt it's a faulty phone - it's a software issue I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

My 6 is as smooth as butter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Deagol wrote: »
    i was a fairly consistent hater of Apple (mainly because I hate the fanboys and the crazy prices) but when work forced us all to get iphones I was impressed with the product. Not that I'd ever pay the crazy price for one now but...

That was about 4 years ago, now though, it's a mess. Constant crashes, when i answer a call, I have to pause for 2 seconds after swiping the answer thing as it doesn't connect. Email doesn't work 1/2 the time without crashing the app and restarting. Battery life is abysmal since ios8 too.

I'm not going to upgrade to ios9 as I'm worried it will be even worse then 8.

Something has gone very wrong with Apple since I first got an iphone IMO.

You do realise that the iPhone 6S and the Samsung Galaxy S6 are the same price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

kceire wrote: »
    You do realise that the iPhone 6S and the Samsung Galaxy S6 are the same price?

In fairness, the S6 is €679 on pre-pay for 32gb & the iPhone 6S is €759 for 16gb (unlocked though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 568 ✭✭✭space2ground1

I updated to iOS 9.0.2 and and the order of the 3000+ photos in my camera roll went all over the place. The most recent photos I took are half way up the roll somewhere and the ones at the bottom of the roll are a year old.

I ran through a live chat with Apple and the engineer agreed it wasn't my phone as the photos were sorting fine when I looked at them in image capture on my mac. I also showed them links to twitter and the apple support communities where people had the same problem.

Frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I'm on 9.0 - iphone 6. Just noticed that when the phone is connected to pc via cablem the file manager now shows in the DCIM folder, a list of subfolders sequentially named:

100APPLE
    102APPLE
    103APPLE
    etc

as opposed the the old jibberish. The sequence seems to be in chrono order, which makes it much handier when viewing on a windows PC.

The delay time after 'sliding to answer' is a real pain in the hole though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

dodzy wrote: »

The delay time after 'sliding to answer' is a real pain in the hole though.

So that's a problem now? Thought it was just me and was blaming my screen protector, so I may just leave it on, hopefully fixed in another update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

So that's a problem now? Thought it was just me and was blaming my screen protector, so I may just leave it on, hopefully fixed in another update.

It's been a problem way before the iphone 6, never mind iOS 9. Ever since that poxy 'slide to answer' was introduced. Terribly annoying. Only way to avoid it is to have the phone unlocked, then its 'tap to answer' and no issue, but that's not a viable solution.

Shameful its still an issue at this stage really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Flint Fredstone

Have to agree with the OP, standards have slipped big time. I have an array of issues with my iPhone 6 mostly involving sound.

3rd party earphones are basically unusable. They will randomly pause what you are listening to or start up Siri or switch to the Apple Music app when listening to something else.
    So I'm forced to use the Apple EarPods. Don't get me started on these :(
    I'm on my 3rd set in 6 months. Inner ear speaker went on both of the other 2.
    They are really uncomfortable and are forever falling out of my ear even when stationary. I don't know if I just have weird ears or they are horribly designed but the other more low end speaker on the side is positioned so that it's rendered almost useless, I only noticed how bad when the inner ear speaker went and I pressed it into my ear sideways.

Volume drops when incoming alerts like Whatsapp are received often don't return to normal levels until I get another one.

The camera crescent issue is really noticeable on my device.

Screen hangs quite often and is unresponsive to touch until you press the home button and go to back to the app or webpage.

There's probably more that I will think of later but yeah, not impressed at all and these seem to be common enough problems from what I've been reading online.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

dodzy wrote: »
    It's been a problem way before the iphone 6, never mind iOS 9. Ever since that poxy 'slide to answer' was introduced. Terribly annoying. Only way to avoid it is to have the phone unlocked, then its 'tap to answer' and no issue, but that's not a viable solution.

Shameful its still an issue at this stage really.

I’m so used to this I don’t even notice it anymore, but have you tried disabling noise cancellation in Accessibility settings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Agree that the slide to answer delay is hugely annoying and has been there a long time. As stated before, I'm also having a delay when waking my 5s up which is a real pain. I end up activating Siri and I don't think I have pressed the home button.

Shabby really.

Advertisement