Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2016 Senior Championship Draw ?

• 03-10-2015 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭

Don't these usually happen around this week ?

Thursday night or so.

No news of them yet

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

good question. Was wondering myself, so hoked about and came across this :
    Teams will discover the identity of their first round opponents when the draws for the 2016 senior provincial hurling and football championships take place live on RTE2 television on Thursday week, October 15.

http://gaaclub.ie/2016-championship-draws-next-week/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

On tonight 8pm RTE2 TV and RTE Player.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Please dont give Meath, Carlow/Wicklow again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

Leinster hurling draw is a bit farcical. A qualifier group of Offaly, Westmeath, Carlow & Kerry - the winners will play Galway in QF and the runners up will play Laois. Surely you'd be better finishing 2nd then ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Boots234

Cork v Tipp in first round of Munster hurling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Happy to get Waterford in the semi final. Very similar style of play and will be a great test first up against a very progressive team.

Time for Davy to step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Wow !!! Cork v Tipp in Prelim Rd., aka quarter final.

Happy to get Waterford in the semi final. Very similar style of play and will be a great test first up against a very progressive team.

Time for Davy to step up.

Waterford certainly a tough nut now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Patww79 wrote: »
    Munster is some show. No matter what came out it was going to be good, though that quarter final looks like a great way to kick it off.

It's a great championship. Semple for the final is on the bucketlist and I'd be no huge lover of the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Offaly hopefully come second, win and they lose to Galway they are back in round robin next year, come second and they beat Laois they avoid it for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway play in Leinster because of no Connacht championship why are Kerry not in Munster draw instead of Leinster?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Got Antrim's place because of winning the 2nd tier thing didn't they?

Right, but why not put them in Munster anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Winner of the Christy Ring Cup goes into the Leinster Champo. Very unfair. Why should Leinster have to take them (whoever they are) AND Galway, while Munster gets to remain a closed shop of just 5 counties?

Another Kerry v Cork Munster football final by the looks of it.

Munster Football.
    Clare/Lim v Kerry
    Watford/Tipp v Cork

No sign of A and B sides yet but that does not mean that they will introduce them later

Edit : Actually there is an A and B.
    Right now Cork, Mayo and Galway are the big guns in B.

• Advertisement

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Winner of the Christy Ring Cup goes into the Leinster Champo. Very unfair. Why should Leinster have to take them (whoever they are) AND Galway, while Munster gets to remain a closed shop of just 5 counties?

Well, the Munster C'ship is miles ahead of Leinster this year. Antrim have retreated to the hills, so its logical enough to replace them. Kerry would be slaughtered by any of the Munster teams. And that would serve no useful purpose.

Mayo or London v Galway in Connacht SF

Didn't realise Cork and Kerry had a chance of meeting before the final, though the Munster council have dodged a bullet. When did they stop pre-arranging it, is this the first year?

Its the first year in long time. There was no seperation for a few years in the late 90s/ early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Its the first year in long time. There was no seperation for a few years in the late 90s/ early 00s.

They played in the semi final in 2012

Well, the Munster C'ship is miles ahead of Leinster this year. Antrim have retreated to the hills, so its logical enough to replace them. Kerry would be slaughtered by any of the Munster teams. And that would serve no useful purpose.

I'm pretty sure they would be slaughtered by Galway and Killkenny too & put down with relative ease by the likes of Wexford and Dublin. What useful purpose would that serve either?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Connacht draw not too dissimilar from last year, Mayo will walk it again I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Connacht draw not too dissimilar from last year, Mayo will walk it again I'm afraid.

People will say that every year until the year they are finally beaten. When it happens it'll probably come out of the blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Kerry won't get as far as playing the likes of Kilkenny. Unlikely they'll meet Galway, Wexford or Dublin. The games against Carlow and Westmeath are good games at their level and a shot at Offaly. If they do happen to finish 2nd in the group, they'd be relatively competitive against Laois I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Someone (I think Zombie Hanley) was saying that if Kerry come through the quaifier they would go into Munster and not into Leinster.

I don't buy the argument that they should be kept out of Muster because they are not good enough, they played in the Munster championship for enough years no reason they shouldn't go back their.

Also as I keep saying utterly ridiculous given the amount of teams in Leinster that Kilkenny go straight into a semi final. Give the people wha they want, i.e the best teams playing more games.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they would be slaughtered by Galway and Killkenny too & put down with relative ease by the likes of Wexford and Dublin. What useful purpose would that serve either?

Borders No. 2 has answered perfectly.

Well other people better qualified than me, know what Kerrys chances of progressing are....but it is utterly daft that the Leinster championship has counties from THREE provinces in it, but the Munster champo remains the same closed shop of the same 5 counties. That is crazy imo.

That's a much nicer Ulster championship draw.

It was rotten last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

I wouldn't rule out Roscommon if they can keep under the radar. There does tend to be an element of over-excitement in Roscommon with one or two good results which was inflated even further by John Evans ridiculous statement before last year's championship but they have a good management team and have the quality up front to cause Mayo problems. Whether they have the quality in defence and mental toughness needed to go and win in Castlebar is up for debate.

A season in Division 1 will have them well prepared and they will qualify for the Connacht Final. They won't be caught by Sligo again.

• Advertisement

Should win it not sure about walking it. Apart from 2013 Mayo have got at least one competitive game in Connacht.

Was only 4 points between Galway and Mayo this summer, last year Roscommon got within one point of Mayo and Sligo got within two in 2012 and likewise Roscommon 2011.

Jesus christ. Just clocked it's Fermanagh v Antrim again.

What's that, 4 times in 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Same old boring repetitive crap. Its like living Groundhog day. Same matchups over and over ad nauseum. How many more of this uninteresting preamble must we endure before we actually all stop watching. The club championships are far more involving.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry won't get as far as playing the likes of Kilkenny. Unlikely they'll meet Galway, Wexford or Dublin. The games against Carlow and Westmeath are good games at their level and a shot at Offaly. If they do happen to finish 2nd in the group, they'd be relatively competitive against Laois I'd imagine.

Looking forward to seen how it goes for us,as long as we don't get relegated id be happy but I do think we should well able to compete with the teams in the group,

Of course all of this is from our League form over the past few years but as they say League and Championship are totally different,

Be handy now if a new manager was put in place.

• Advertisement

A and B in football look to be something like this

A
    Sligo, Letrim, Roscommon,Derry, Tyrone, Cavan, Armagh, Laois, Wicklow, Louth, Carlow, Dublin, Meath, Kerry, Clare*, Limerick*.

B
    Galway, Mayo, London, Fermanagh, Antrim, Monaghan, Down, Donegal, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, Kildare, Tipp*, Waterford*

Once again the B side looks tougher.

In the A side its unlikely to see Tyrone, Kerry or Dublin lose before their provincial finals where as with the B two of Galway,Mayo, Monaghan or Donegal will have to pay 3 rounds of qualifiers, add to that the decent enough teams like Fermanagh and Tipp*, or maybe even Cork.

The interesting thing is where will the provincial losers go, A or B and who the provincial champs play, A or B

*- Not sure about Munster QFs, they star one side on the draw (top/bottom) but swap then for the SF

2016 GAA Championship fixtures revealed
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2015/1015/735132-gaa-championship-draw-2016/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Right, but why not put them in Munster anyway?

Wouldn't do their development any good to be getting unmerciful hammerings year on year, it was the reason they pulled out in the first place a decade or so back. They're better off in the Leinster round robin group where they can play teams of their standard.

Wouldn't do their development any good to be getting unmerciful hammerings year on year, it was the reason they pulled out in the first place a decade or so back. They're better off in the Leinster round robin group where they can play teams of their standard.

Surely the reason Kerry are in Leinster is because they are a straight swap for Antrim.

Football could do with taking a leaf from hurling book, provinces are not set in stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Surely the reason Kerry are in Leinster is because they are a straight swap for Antrim.

Football could do with taking a leaf from hurling book, provinces are not set in stone.

It is, I was responding to the suggestion that they should be placed back in the Munster Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Galway should be playing in the Connacht Championship. Even with Galway not in it, because they would walk it, they do not have one. There should be one with the other 4 counties and with New York and London in it, but the GAA won't do that. In other words, zero effort is being put into Connacht hurling. Equally, Kerry should be playing in Munster.

Then there is whole joke of playing Dublin v Wicklow/Laois in Nowlan Park. Come next year it'll be 12 years that Dublin have been waiting for a home championship match. Once again though, just like this year and many years back, it looks like all of Dublin's championship matches will be played at neutral venues. At least there will be the novelty and confusion for the villagers of seeing such a large ball in Nowlan Park. Looks like it will be a Kildare v Dublin final in Leinster.

Roscommon should come through their side of the draw and set up a Connacht Final against Mayo. Galway have a chance of beating Mayo, but the reigning champions will still be too strong.

As always, Ulster looks interesting. Peter McGrath will find it hard to achieve his objective and get that Ulster championship for Fermanagh. Possibly a Tyrone v Monaghan final, which will be interesting after their "clash" in Croke Park this year.

Dublin will have to do it the hard way to get the Leinster Hurling title, but we might catch Kilkenny cold. Still, it is hard to back against Kilkenny. As for the Munster Hurling championship, well anything can happen. Hard to predict, as ever.

A Kerry v Cork Munster Football final, unless Tipperary can pull off a shock. You'd still have to predictably back Kerry.
    These draws should not have been done until about April, but there we have it. A summer to look forward to. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 beats26

On tonight 8pm RTE2 TV and RTE Player.

Usual handy draw for the cats,whole champ is a joke

beats26 wrote: »

Yep, Kilkenny will again go unbeaten through the championship. Their hurlers might even do that too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

beats26 wrote: »

How is it handy?

They will likely have to beat Dublin and Galway to win Leinster. How could it be any tougher?

Flukey wrote: »

Then there is whole joke of playing Dublin v Wicklow/Laois in Nowlan Park. Come next year it'll be 12 years that Dublin have been waiting for a home championship match.

As opposed to every game Dublin play in Dublin, none of which are home games obviously :rolleyes:

As long as the footballers don't make a mess of the good pitch I'll be happy enough.

adrian522 wrote: »
    As opposed to every game Dublin play in Dublin, none of which are home games obviously :rolleyes:

Yes, they are played in Dublin, but they are not home games. My house is in Dublin. My next door neighbour's house is also in Dublin, but it is not my home. Parnell Park is Dublin's home ground, not Croke Park. I suppose you'll be telling us next that White Hart Lane is Chelsea's home ground, because it is in London. Croke Park is no more Dublin's home ground than the Melbourne Cricket Grounds are. Parnell Park, and only Parnell Park, is Dublin's home ground, whatever people say. We can argue against a lot of things, but not against facts. In 2004 the Dublin footballers played a championship match in Parnell Park, but not since then. So the fact of the matter, whether you like it or not and no matter what you or anyone else says or thinks, is that Dublin have not had a home championship match since then and have played all of their championship matches in away grounds, like Pearse Park, or in neutral venues, like Croke Park. That pattern seems set to continue. FACT!

At least we will have a different neutral venue to play in next year. That is something to be welcomed by all of us Dublin fans, but our dream of a home match seems set to be denied us again. Maybe if we win in Nowlan Park we'll get a home match in the next round, but I doubt it. The Leinster Council will not let it happen. Technically it will be 11 votes to 1 against us, so we haven't got a chance. We'll be sent back to Croke Park instead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement