Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words fail me

• 03-10-2015 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭

Just when I thought people couldn't get more idiotic I came across this thing on youtube called fire challenge. Involves people standing in a shower, covering themselves in lighter fluid and setting themselves alight. I despair. Has it really come to this ? Jesus christ. I know kids are dumb but if one of them ends up with third degree burns then tough luck you utter moron.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Did you search "kids in the shower"?

Ya dirty fecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Anyone who does it deserves what they get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Nib wrote: »

Ya dirty fecker.

Ha. At my age anyone under 30 is a stupid kid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Nib wrote: »

Ya dirty fecker.

I think it was "hot kids in the shower".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

This was all the rage two years ago - where were you? Drinking hydrochloric toxic waste and then vomiting it up into you friend's face is where it's at now.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Saipanne wrote: »
    Anyone who does it deserves what they get.

They don't. Some young, impressionable, naïve teenager doesn't deserve to be scarred for life because of an internet fad. It's too high a price to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I thought planking was all the rage these days.

Lighting yourself on fire is so 1995

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

Anything that thins the heard is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

They don't. Some young, impressionable, naïve teenager doesn't deserve to be scarred for life because of an internet fad. It's too high a price to pay.

In fairness, I certainly knew better as a teenager. There's naivety and outright stupidity.

That being said I grew up with a real fire place, a range and a gas cooker. We had campfires and bonfires where the heat was intense. I knew how dangerous fire was.

Nowadays, many kids have non of these -- the closest thing they've seen to an actual live flame is a bloody birthday candle. They probably think it can just be blown out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

OP,

Given your username shouldn't you be pointing and laughing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

OP,

Given your username shouldn't you be pointing and laughing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 436 ✭✭Old Jakey

If you're stupid enough to douse yourself in lighter fluid and set yourself on fire then I say you deserve everything you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Cb9

I'll never understand any of these "challenges", there's naivety and then there's just pure stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This is almost definitely 4chan bait to see how stupid people really are :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

The youth of today eh....they're a right ol shower so they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Don't stop them if they want to set themselves on fire to appear cool on the internet. Don't think we will miss them from the gene pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

In my day we didn't have to challenge each other. We set some parts of our body on fire just for sh!ts and giggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

This is almost definitely 4chan bait to see how stupid people really are :D

This is what I was thinking. They often come up with something that will get stupid people to hurt themselves or destroy their apple product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Young people able to find a shower ? Then operate a complex device like a lighter ?
    Not a hope - most of them can't even spell and that's after 4 years of computer repair science.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

How the hell does **** like this catch on?

To name a few - Train surfing, The Ice Bucket challenge, Lying on train tracks and letting the train drive over you without you being touched at all (whatever it's called) and that thing with salt and ice on your hand.

Whoever started some of these "challenges" (i.e dangerous stunts) must have been either suicidal or complete maniacs.

• Advertisement

How the hell does this **** like this catch on?

To name a few - Train surfing, The Ice Bucket challenge, Lying on train tracks and letting the train drive over you without you being touched at all (whatever it's called) and that thing with salt and ice on your hand.

Whoever started some of these "challenges" (i.e dangerous stunts) must have been either suicidal or complete maniacs.

Idiots doing idiot things, I remember our mothers saying if your friend jumped off a cliff of set themselves on fire would you. Answer was no. Now ask these people and it's sure and I will film me doing it. And they will be the same people RIP'ing people who die while driving and taking a selfie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Tut, in my day you set fire to yourself to keep warm, not for some internet dare.. T'wasnt everyday we had coal to burn or even any sticks gathered. T'was often me auld fella would stand up in the kitchen of a winters night and ask mammy was there a drop of lighter fluid so he might get a bit of heat in his bones. Different time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Is there any actual footage of this that can be posted on here and how viral has this thing gone? Sure stupid **** is all over the internet but not everyone takes the ball and runs with it. If you know how to carry out the challenge you surely know the potential hazards too.

Is there any actual footage of this that can be posted on here and how viral has this thing gone? Sure stupid **** is all over the internet but not everyone takes the ball and runs with it. If you know how to carry out the challenge you surely know the potential hazards too.

neknominations that is all.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How the hell does this **** like this catch on?

s.

The lighter fluid fuels it and it spre................

This is what I was thinking. They often come up with something that will get stupid people to hurt themselves or destroy their apple product.

#CutForBieber was probably the most ridiculous. I saw the original thread on 4chan proposing it as a raid and even among the people doing it, nobody really believed they could pull off something that ridiculous. That people actually ended up going for it was... Depressing to say the least.

People be crazy.

Bikini Bridge was a funny one as well, I mean you can always trust the Daily Fail to make an eejit of itself but that just took the absolute cake :D Around ten minutes on Twitter would have revealed that everyone tweeting about it had only made their Twitter account 3-4 days beforehand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2535098/Is-bikini-bridge-new-thigh-gap-Disturbing-new-selfie-fad-circulating-social-media.html

Channers tend to be more careful now and plan their hashtags 5-6 months in advance so they can create convincingly "real" social media personas in that amount of time before they start posting the bait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

There's another one called smartphone pinching. Idiots take photos of themselves pinching their mobile phones over a drop/drain etc. Would love to know how many people have dropped their phones doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

There's another one where someone attempts to jump over a speeding car.

And there's that "parkour" **** where you sometimes jump from one tall building to another.

Mad bastards are everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I am as against stupid crazes as much as the next person is, but this goes way beyond being a stupid craze. It goes beyond insanity. People are locked away for a lot less. Are you certain this is real?

I love how, all too aware of how dumb the First World has gotten, we're all only mildly surprised by the notion of the existence of this "craze," instead of being viciously shocked and appalled at the notion of it, as we would have been just five years ago.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    There's another one called smartphone pinching. Idiots take photos of themselves pinching their mobile phones over a drop/drain etc. Would love to know how many people have dropped their phones doing it.

You would swear mobile phone manufactures spread this kind of stuff. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

You would swear mobile phone manufactures spread this kind of stuff. :pac:

Has to be 4chan or similar.

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/609485/Extreme-Phone-Pinching-Smartphone-Vine-Craze

Advertisement