Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TomTom on iPad

• 03-10-2015 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭

Technical question: I have an iPad with a sim slot, but don't normally use a sim in it.

I was trying out a satnav app called CoPilot yesterday, but it had no points of interest (POIs) available without internet, though it did show me the way quite capably without wifi or internet.

I understand that TomTom's app for iPad can do the same - navigate turn-by-turn on a G3-enabled tablet, without the need for a sim or wifi. Does TomTom show POIs when offline, and is my understanding that it can navigate without wifi or sim correct?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭cc

Technical question: I have an iPad with a sim slot, but don't normally use a sim in it.

I was trying out a satnav app called CoPilot yesterday, but it had no points of interest (POIs) available without internet, though it did show me the way quite capably without wifi or internet.

I understand that TomTom's app for iPad can do the same - navigate turn-by-turn on a G3-enabled tablet, without the need for a sim or wifi. Does TomTom show POIs when offline, and is my understanding that it can navigate without wifi or sim correct?

Copilot has offline pois, just search categories rather than Google, used them all around Europe to alert me to upcoming service stations along my route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

What do you mean by "just search categories rather than Google"? I was looking for POIs, but couldn't get them to show with no internet connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

What do you mean by "just search categories rather than Google"? I was looking for POIs, but couldn't get them to show with no internet connection.

I just put my iPhone into Airplane mode, started CoPilot Live and looked for Restaurants in my area. Found several. Could be that whatever POI you re looking for is not close by to you

Join Ireland Weather Network

No, all the POIs in Belfast were greyed out; I was standing in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

No, all the POIs in Belfast were greyed out; I was standing in the city centre.

I would suggest going to Help & Feedback in the app and asking ALK direct

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Advertisement

thecivvie wrote: »
    I would suggest going to Help & Feedback in the app and asking ALK direct

Who's ALK?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Who's ALK?

ALK Technologies, the makers of CoPilot.

Advertisement