Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post strike looming

Options
  • 03-10-2015 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

And there was me waiting for my U2 tickets to be delivered, What am I gonna do now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Is the concert not at the end of November? Very early to be fretting yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Is the concert not at the end of November? Very early to be fretting yet.

You could be right about freeting early, but the prospect is not looking good in An Post with some suit digging his heels in on an ego trip, and the management starting the heavy handed routine and sending staff home unnecessarily. smells like it could escalate big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

It will be sorted within a few days. CWU know they're on a loser after refusing numerous recommendations from various bodies.

The stupidity of their action that has put livelihoods of hundreds of other CWU members at risk and i know of two that are extremely pissed off at CWU and have made their views known to cwu managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Contact Ticketmaster and ask if you can collect them at the venue, they may not be posted yet.

delahuntv wrote: »
    It will be sorted within a few days. CWU know they're on a loser after refusing numerous recommendations from various bodies.

The stupidity of their action that has put livelihoods of hundreds of other CWU members at risk and i know of two that are extremely pissed off at CWU and have made their views known to cwu managers.

CWU have no spine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Let's avoid the politics of this and focus on the Consumer Issue

dudara

Mod: Thread title changed as it suggests the strike is by An Post employees.
    The strike is by employees of IO Systems, a maintenance contractor to An Post.

dudara wrote: »
    Let's avoid the politics of this and focus on the Consumer Issue

dudara

ok
    slimjimmc wrote: »
    Mod: Thread title changed as it suggests the strike is by An Post employees.
    The strike is by employees of IO Systems, a maintenance contractor to An Post.

I thought I said looming? the IO systems people are already on strike, I was referring to An Post employees, like I said it is looming, as a result of the IO systems employees dispute escalating and the CWU's response and advice to the An Post employees. Hopefully I am wrong, but only time will tell and from what I've seen and heard so far the outlook is bleak. I think the thread title was correct, now it is not.

Mod: Fair enough, original thread title restored.

I wonder if Social Protection can make alternative arrangements for those who get their payment in the post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

Any word or updates on the post strike, All internet and telly news are Fridays information.

Any word or updates on the post strike, All internet and telly news are Fridays information.

CWU have sent a circular around to staff thanking them for standing up to An Post management despite their (management) attempts to intimidate them, Telling all An Post members to report for duty as normal however there has been no movement ( by management) on the situation and as it stands it is heading in the wrong direction (escalation) none of the mail centre employees want this to happen. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Demosthenes

Any updates? I have a heap of stuff to post as soon as possible...

CWU have sent a circular around to staff thanking them for standing up to An Post management despite their (management) attempts to intimidate them, Telling all An Post members to report for duty as normal however there has been no movement ( by management) on the situation and as it stands it is heading in the wrong direction (escalation) none of the mail centre employees want this to happen. :mad:

Why are An Post management the bad guys when IO are the staff and management in dispute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

I saw one guy on the news last night saying that parcels&packets could be processed - does that mean they are or did he just mean it was possible. I am waiting on a parcel from the UK that was posted Friday and I'm finding it very hard to get information anywhere on what's happening.....if anyone has any insight?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

An Post need to fire IO Systems as maintenance contractor for breach of contract and get another company to do the job and replace IO, post haste.

The incompetent An Post board is allowing the country to return to the 1970s and 1980s of strikes. The country had (long - often 6 month+) bank strikes, electricity supply strikes, postal strikes etc, that crippled business and daily life.

Third world undependable / unreliable Ireland reveals its ugly side again in 2015.

Impetus wrote: »
    An Post need to fire IO Systems as maintenance contractor for breach of contract and get another company to do the job and replace IO, post haste.

The incompetent An Post board is allowing the country to return to the 1970s and 1980s of strikes. The country had (long - often 6 month+) bank strikes, electricity supply strikes, postal strikes etc, that crippled business and daily life.

Third world undependable / unreliable Ireland reveals its ugly side again in 2015.

A bit harsh. Undependable because of one dispute in decades? Really? The over-reaction on Boards has been almost comical. Wait until it's in it's second week rather than second day and we'll see real meltdown.

As for sacking IO, I agree but it depends on the terms of the contract. Also, they couldn't just employ a new company today. Tenders, agreements, contracts etc take time, you know.

Oh, just got post! Including a book and a cheque I had been expecting. Happy days.

Why are An Post management the bad guys when IO are the staff and management in dispute?
    Because they are refusing to let the regular sorters sort the mail manually, that would of gone through the machines. An Post want this strike so they can use it as a case for future redundancies, mark my words.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Contact Ticketmaster and ask if you can collect them at the venue, they may not be posted yet.
    This is what usually happens if tickets are lost in the post, they cancel the first ones so they are detected by the barcode. You usually have to bring a CC or photocopy of the CC that paid for the tickets as proof and you collect at the box office, just like people who ordered for box office collection.

Though there might be huge queues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There was a quite long strike in 2004 - I remember because I'd just started a new job, and it was very quiet without post. Went on a few weeks, with intermittent deliveries.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dave ireland

TV 3 news said its now sorted so I hope I can post in the morning.

IO just restored things back to the original roster while talks are on-going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,409 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

A bit harsh. Undependable because of one dispute in decades? Really? The over-reaction on Boards has been almost comical. Wait until it's in it's second week rather than second day and we'll see real meltdown.

As for sacking IO, I agree but it depends on the terms of the contract. Also, they couldn't just employ a new company today. Tenders, agreements, contracts etc take time, you know.

Oh, just got post! Including a book and a cheque I had been expecting. Happy days.

Did you get a pen?
    "Blankety blank"

A bit harsh. Undependable because of one dispute in decades?

I don't think it is too harsh. You have under 30 people on strike, who work for IO - a Japanese company. It is holding An Post customers and staff to random. The strikers are reportedly earning EUR 70'000 to 100'000 pa.

The parcel facility sorts 100'000 parcels a week from memory - much of this is online shopping. If An Post is seen as an nu-reliable logistics provider, Deutsche Post and their DHL arm will quickly take the business from online merchants. This would have implications for An Post employees. Not to mention the letter post and everything else that goes through the post (eg passports, bank payment cards, medical documents, etc.

There are several other companies who could take over the task of maintenance of the automated sorting platforms. There is a lot of wear and tear on a sorting machine that can process 30'000 letters an hour.

There are only four of these sorting factories, and these guys have a grip on the system that needs to be released by force if necessary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo6vG5RutYs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Google cancelled my order saying with reason "Undeliverable". Must waste my time now reordering.

Shower of overpaid gob****es should be all sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Google cancelled my order saying with reason "Undeliverable". Must waste my time now reordering.

Yes, that would help to get the post to your door ;)

Google cancelled my order saying with reason "Undeliverable".

That makes no sense whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

The over-reaction on Boards has been almost comical. Wait until it's in it's second week rather than second day and we'll see real meltdown.

Wait for the second week? Some people quite simply do not have two weeks to wait around for the things they needed to be posted/delivered last week, much less this week.

This has caused massive stress and disruption to some people's lives and businesses. The level of reaction I've seen has seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

I doubt that has anything to do with the dispute. If mail isn't getting sorted then it's sitting in mail bag somewhere and An Post won't be returning it to the sender (they'd have to sort it to do that), so how would Google know if it was "undeliverable".
    More likely the package fell foul of the regs http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/21/section/47/enacted/en/html#sec47 or there was a problem with another carrier.
    Mod: Less of this type of comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

I doubt that has anything to do with the dispute. If mail isn't getting sorted then it's sitting in mail bag somewhere and An Post won't be returning it to the sender (they'd have to sort it to do that), so how would Google know if it was "undeliverable".
    More likely the package fell foul of the regs http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/21/section/47/enacted/en/html#sec47

I don't know anything about Google, but if they deliver to their Irish customers with An Post, they may have suspended purchases with an Irish address temporarily rather than try to arrange an alternative delivery service.

It would make sense, considering that there was/is no way to know how long this interruption of service could last. If it was only a few days, it wouldn't really be worth it to them to set up with an alternative when they could just refuse the transaction and then email the customer when service resumed with the standard "You didn't buy this, would you still like it?" email. If it lasted longer, they could make alternative arrangements and then do the same thing.

• Advertisement

More likely the package fell foul of the regs http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/act/21/section/47/enacted/en/html#sec47 or there was a problem with another carrier.

I don't know what Google has to do with shipping - but Amazon or any similar company will not be shipping merchandise that does not comply with "regulations". The only merchandise Google ships is phones and similar, and they just recently removed their boycott against Ireland for this category. https://store.google.com/ Happy with the tax rate, but like Apple and many others cut from this cloth there are no "Apple stores" in IRL.

Advertisement