Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Special Dinner

Options
  • 03-10-2015 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I will be staying in Swinford in Nov. and would like to treat some friends to a very special dinner some evening. Had thoughts of Mount Falcon, Belleek Castle or something on that idea. Has anyone been or have any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

I would highly recommend the Gateway Hotel in Swinford. Great food and very friendly and helpful staff. If its the weekend some great bands play there also! Very handy too if your're staying in Swinford.

http://www.gatewayswinford.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pipermarie

Love the Gateway myself. As one of my friends works there it wouldn't be much of a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Aw right, well that's not much good then. It'd be like bring snow to the Eskimos :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Beleek is great for food. Haven't eaten in Mount Falcon but imagine it's pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

You won't get better than falcon in the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 pipermarie

Thanks for the imput. Good food is what we want. Guess I'll let them decide between the two. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

If you are willing to travel bit further through Mayo, there's a lovely fine dining restaurant opened few months ago in Delphi Adventure Resort - named Chef's Table by Stefan Matz.
    While it about 80km away from Swinford so over an hour drive, I'd highly recommend it, as chef there is a real master of arts of cooking, and concept of having kitchen in the middle of eating room where you can actually see chef's cooking is something really interesting and innovative.
    They are not open everyday though at this time of they year - I think it's only weekends, so you might need to contact them to check availability if you're interested.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

CiniO wrote: »
    If you are willing to travel bit further through Mayo, there's a lovely fine dining restaurant opened few months ago in Delphi Adventure Resort - named Chef's Table by Stefan Matz.
    While it about 80km away from Swinford so over an hour drive, I'd highly recommend it, as chef there is a real master of arts of cooking, and concept of having kitchen in the middle of eating room where you can actually see chef's cooking is something really interesting and innovative.
    They are not open everyday though at this time of they year - I think it's only weekends, so you might need to contact them to check availability if you're interested.

I hear great reports but 160 km round trip for food, not been smart, but it would want to be savage! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

+1 Beleek

yop wrote: »
    I hear great reports but 160 km round trip for food, not been smart, but it would want to be savage! :)

I've heard some people travel there from Galway to dine, which is also 160km round trip, so I believe it is savage enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Alqua

Belleek would really fit the bill for a treat - the food is excellent and the place is an experience in itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I'd much prefer Beleek to Mt Falcon for the spectacle of the Drunken Bullock alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Belleek Castle is lovely for something different...Food is always fresh.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

Haven't eaten in Belleek but can definitely recommend the food in Mount Falcon

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

yop wrote: »

If its the Stefan Matz that used to be the chef in Ashford Castle (and I think had a Michelin star in another restaurant) 160 km is not that far to go for his food imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

+1 for Belleek - ask for the guided tour of the little museum downstairs and you might even get a go with a few swords ;).

croot wrote: »
    If its the Stefan Matz that used to be the chef in Ashford Castle (and I think had a Michelin star in another restaurant) 160 km is not that far to go for his food imo.

It is this Stefan indeed.

Trip advisor comments seem to confirm it's worth a try http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212985-d8133724-Reviews-The_Chef_s_Table-Leenane_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html#REVIEWS

I've been there again few days ago, and I must say I'm even more impressed than on first visit.
    It's not a place where you'd be going everyday to dine, as menu is not extensive, and prices are adequate to quality (high), but it's rather designed for people to come over on special occasions, and I couldn't imagine better place for that.
    Considering as OP was asking about dinner for special occasion, I think Chef's table might be exactly what he is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭12 element

CiniO wrote: »
    It is this Stefan indeed.

Trip advisor comments seem to confirm it's worth a try http://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g212985-d8133724-Reviews-The_Chef_s_Table-Leenane_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html#REVIEWS

I've been there again few days ago, and I must say I'm even more impressed than on first visit.
    It's not a place where you'd be going everyday to dine, as menu is not extensive, and prices are adequate to quality (high), but it's rather designed for people to come over on special occasions, and I couldn't imagine better place for that.
    Considering as OP was asking about dinner for special occasion, I think Chef's table might be exactly what he is looking for.

It's very far away though.

Advertisement