Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LGBT friendly barber in Galway City?

Options
  • 03-10-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

Hi all..

I'm just after moving to Galway city and need to find a barbers that is fine about cutting short hair on a female. It's a generic dry cut.

My family home is in Wicklow and I've moved from Dublin and over the years I've struggled to find barbers without having to go through sneering and snide remarks.. not to mention being patronized and discriminated against (being charged more than the dry cut costs because of my gender ) I kid you not!

In the end I've always found someone but I'd rather avoid going through all that again if I can so if anyone could recommend a good barbers in the city that will take no issue with doing a dry cut on a female that would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks all in advance..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Sorry I can't help for Galway, I know what it's like though. I've been asked to leave various barbers and while I get that they can refuse anyone's custom, it's an awful feeling- especially when you are literally getting the exact same cut as the guy already in the chair. It's kinda stupid too- refusing business for no real reason is just a bit dim these days!

If I were you I'd look online and on FB and shoot them a message before you go in. Or even Twitter.

I'm tempted to try and pull a list together of female friendly barbers across the country. Let me know here if you find anywhere, will you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Sorry I can't help for Galway, I know what it's like though. I've been asked to leave various barbers and while I get that they can refuse anyone's custom, it's an awful feeling- especially when you are literally getting the exact same cut as the guy already in the chair. It's kinda stupid too- refusing business for no real reason is just a bit dim these days!

If I were you I'd look online and on FB and shoot them a message before you go in. Or even Twitter.

I'm tempted to try and pull a list together of female friendly barbers across the country. Let me know here if you find anywhere, will you?

Its not an LGBT or because they are female thats the issue. Most males barbers have insurance, that only allows them to cut male hair. There was a thread on boards or post on a website. That most Barbers arent covered to cut females hair. Its kinsa stupid, but insurance and logic generally dont go to together

• Registered Users Posts: 23,754 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Its not an LGBT or because they are female thats the issue. Most males barbers have insurance, that only allows them to cut male hair. There was a thread on boards or post on a website. That most Barbers arent covered to cut females hair. Its kinsa stupid, but insurance and logic generally dont go to together

Bloody hell, learn something new every day! :eek:

Barber who refused to cut woman’s hair did not discriminate

Interesting one!

To be fair though, there's a way to explain that, and a way to make people feel like sh!t. I've had one place explain very nicely to me that they don't cut womens hair because they had too many come in for short cuts but then freak out because they weren't expecting the type of cut a barber will do- ie with a clippers and guards, and all that. That's fair enough. I get it, even if I know I wouldn't have that issue getting my hair cut there.

I've also had a place stare at me, and make me feel about 2 inches tall. And while I'm used to it now, if it's your first few times trying to find a place that will cut your hair in a more masculine style it's really unpleasant, and upsetting to be honest. It wouldn't really bother me now- I'm too used to getting yelled at in public toilets because of how I look- but there's never a need to be snarky or dismissive of someone who wants to give you money. Well of anyone really but we are talking about a business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Stumbled in here from the main page out of curiosity as I had a lot of trouble finding someone in Cork, as others have mentioned a lot of barbers can't/won't for various reasons, I doubt it is LGBT related tbh as I brought my boyfriend with me when asking as he wanted to find a barber too and still had the same response. The worry of doing a masculine cut and someone not being happy seems to he a big thing.

I tried asking a few of the big chains that employed female barbers first, showing them my hair, in the hope they would be more sympathetic, no joy, I was told it would be better to see a hairdresser even though they charge €50 and have little experience with short hair. I came out with a bodged cut every time, even in unisex salons as they kept trying to feminise my hair even when I showed photos of what I wanted.

I got really shy about asking in person after that and scanned the Facebook pages of a few barbers around the city, I eventually found one that had a solitary picture of a female barber (the owner) working with a female client getting a clipper cut and lots of photos of vintage styles, fades etc that take time to do. I went in to buy pomade and got no funny looks so I phoned up. One of the male barbers took my call and was delighted to help when I explained what I was looking for (I have a combed back side sweep with a short scissor taper back and sides, think a typical 1920's men's cut).

Moral of the story is they are out there, have a look on social media or phone them, it's a lot less embarrassing than being told a flat out no face to face. Independent places that have younger staff and a wide variety of styles seem a lot more accommodating than the big chain shops, I guess they make their money from a quick turn around of all over clipper cuts or short back and sides and see anything outside of that as hassle. If you do see someone with a cut you like, ask them where it was done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ch1984

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies.. for me it's more about being made feel small and sneered at, I've never been told to leave it's more I'm made feel uncomfortable and have been charged 150% the advertised cost of a dry cut.. Also I'd just have sides and back blended with blades 1 to 3 and thinned out on top.. plus if I wasn't happy with it, wait a week and it's grown back a bit lol..

I'm edging closer to having no choice but to approach a barber's haha.. my hair is getting to that awkward/won't sit right place and I have a double crown which cannot be tamed, haha..

@thephantomsmask I love dapper 1920s cuts but don't let my hair grow long enough usually.. Also trying to describe them is another stumbling block, I generally use pics! Can you attach a google image/link (not necessarily of you) :P of what it looks like or send a pm?

Interesting all the same about the insurance side of it..

You really shouldn't be charged more than the advertised price for the same cut.

I really would recommend checking out barbers on FB and shooting them a message. I love my barbers now, wouldn't go anywhere else they are so sound and really enthusiastic about cutting womens hair into classic styles!

If you're looking to describe a certain style, there are some good infographics around, and most (good) barbers will know what you want. I know now just to say "executive contour with a low fade to a 2" and they know exactly what I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

There is about a months growth on my hair, well due a cut and a wash too, layrite supershine only hides so much lol. A side part that is longer on top and blended down to the hairline, easiest way to describe it over the phone was "ummm something like you'd see in the great gatsby" while stuttering! I can't wear a fade or anything super short at the back and sides as I have a lumpy skull with a bald patch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

A straight buddy of mine gets her hair cut into a kinda pixie style at a barbers in Cork.

I think just avoid the chains and shopping centre places. Galway's pretty chilled out and I would be fairly surprised if some of the better places refused.

Hair's hair!

Also as a guy, I'd just say some of the rough and ready places are lousy. If you're getting a short haircut it's definitely something that requires skill to get nice.

I think women are totally price gouged though for a lot of less complex haircuts. Charges should be based on time and complexity not your gender.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sharmander

I'm openly queer and I get my undercut maintained in The Crew on Shop St. They've been nothing but nice about it, the most I've ever gotten is a raised eyebrow or two from some of the more old fashioned customers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Can't believe barbers insurance is a thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Can't believe barbers insurance is a thing!

There's a definite risk of liability (cut someone with uncleaned tools, etc) so the need for insurance exists and there is some logic in the insurer closing scope as tightly as possible.

Found a great barber's in Galway thankfully.. called Fat Tonys.. does fantastic styled cuts too :) very happy overall!

ch1984 wrote: »
    Found a great barber's in Galway thankfully.. called Fat Tonys.. does fantastic styled cuts too :) very happy overall!

Is that the place just off Shop St? I saw that place on a Sunday and the pomades in the window caught my eye...

Is that the place just off Shop St? I saw that place on a Sunday and the pomades in the window caught my eye...

Yeah, though the one I went to was the main one in Liosban retail park on tuam road.. guy I messaged said they have more experience there etc.. highly recommend :)

Advertisement