Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to become a counsellor?

Options
  • 03-10-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi!
    For many years now, I've known that counselling is something I've wanted to go into. However I'm not sure what way to go about it.
    My plan so far is to acquire a Batchelors of Masters in Sociology or Social Science and then take a postgradute degree( if you have any info on a relevant postgrauate that would be helpful!)
    I also realise accreditation is helpful too. However I emailed the IACP and they said I would need to do a futhur 7 years training on top of my degree. This seems like a lot (dont get me wrong I would do it, but surely there is a quicker way?)
    The C.A.O is looming and I want to know for sure that this is what I want to do.
    I also plan to move abroad to Canada once I complete the necessary training here. Would my qualifications still stand or will I need to do more courses?
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Hi Cait. For psychotherapy, it's a 7 year training, with at least 4 post-grad. As an aside, I notice from your other posts that you're around LC age. This field tends to be populated by people who came to it a little later in life. It can be difficult becoming established as a younger person. Not saying you shouldn't, but do bear this in mind when making your choices.

Also, try to refine what you mean by 'counsellor'. There are so many different modalities, that the term itself has become kind of meaningless. Come back with a few questions. I'll do my best to answer helpfully. I'm sure others will be along too.

Advertisement