Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Dublin... Alternatives to Daft.ie

Options
  • 03-10-2015 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭

Hi

Son has new job in Dublin since early sept. He currently couch-surfing at mates apartment

He having terrible problem finding a 2-bed apartment. He mainly on Daft.ie but has been caught each time with people before him getting in ahead of him

IS Daft the only game in town???? Any other sources he should be watching??

He is email mates, asking around his new work etc....

He not keen on owner- occupied places. The last one he looked at wanted him out every weekend etc

All help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,865 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Daft is pretty much it for full rentals. You'll find rooms in owner occupied houses on shop notice boards etc sometimes that aren't on Daft but extremely rarely will full rentals turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

Not being from Dublin... What is Clondalkin like. He looks like taking an apartment there but work colleagues putting him off.

What u think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Masala wrote: »
    Not being from Dublin... What is Clondalkin like. He looks like taking an apartment there but work colleagues putting him off.

What u think

Clondalkin is very big with some quite rough areas and some nice areas and pretty much everything in-between. Maybe an idea of where he is looking at and where he is working might help, a local might have a better idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

What u think

Rough areas in Dublin are BS. You might get the odd bit of hassle. But its nothing like a rough of NYC. You wont come down to all the cars on the street smashed up or people getting raped. I know people living in "extremely rough areas" and never had issues before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Owner occupied or occupied by a chain of people who have taken the deposit to the new tenant since Ireland was bartering with sheep, you'll get eejits either way. Don't dismiss a place on a single criteria - it's a case of going to viewing after viewing after viewing, dropping anything else to go.

If the workmates are from Clondalkin, listen. If they're not, go see the place and make your own call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

MyHome.ie is another listings site, but you're probably going to find most places listed on both.

Is he aware of the Sharing section on Daft?

Maybe he is being too picky on the owner occupied places? He may come across people who lay down overly rigid criteria, or have stricter house rules than if it were all renters - which is understandable really, if the person looking for a room mate owns the place. But on the flip side, if anything goes wrong/breaks down/needs fixing, the landlord is on site to take care of it. He/she is motivated to do, as they live there too.

Also, when it comes to answering ads on Daft & getting beaten to the good places, he should always ring the listing agent/person. Don't email them, even though Daft gives the facility to do that. Advertizers on Daft (in my experience) are a lot slower to respond to email enquiries, than they are to phone calls.

If your son could arrange to be free in mid afternoon, or mid morning, to look at places, that would get the jump start on people who are only free to do viewings after work or on weekends. Perhaps if he spoke to his boss about the problems he is having, they could work something out?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Lots of private landlords here so it can vary. From my experience its normally just returned after they have given the place the once over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

To pick up on this, no you pay the last months rent and then get the deposit back at the end (hopefully).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

What u think

Where in Clondalkin? I live there and I think its fine

also try rent.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I tried daft.ie, rent.ie, myhome.ie. Most of the houses/apartments are on all three sites, sometimes even with different details. I prefer Daft due to better filtering.

However, we had issues finding a house, until I realized what was the problem.

When sending an email/sms or call someone for an apt, you are one from hundreds that will do the same. So, somehow we have to pop up.
    What I did, was sending an email with my CV. Not my professional CV, but my social CV. Who am I, where do I work, what I am looking for, how long I am looking forward to stay and that I have references from my previous landowners and employers (&current).

This way, I got responses immediately and managed to sign a lease in less than a week.

Hope this helps.

messrs wrote: »
    Where in Clondalkin? I live there and I think its fine

also try rent.ie

Roseview (??) Apartments. He rounding up Referances as we speak....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Roseview (??) Apartments. He rounding up Referances as we speak....

Ive never heard of Roseview in Clondalkin, I know of a Rosebank View and I think there a roseview down of the Nass Road, around Robinhood Ind Estate

Do you know any other areas in clondalkin close to the apartments?

messrs wrote: »
    Ive never heard of Roseview in Clondalkin, I know of a Rosebank View and I think there a roseview down of the Nass Road, around Robinhood Ind Estate

Do you know any other areas in clondalkin close to the apartments?

He decided against Clondalkin and ended up in Kilminham. Happy out now...

Advertisement