Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death of one joint account holder

Options
  • 03-10-2015 3:43pm

My Mum and Dad have a joint BOI account. My father passed away last month so I'm wondering do we need to notify BOI and if so how please? Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Nicola

My Mum and Dad have a joint BOI account. My father passed away last month so I'm wondering do we need to notify BOI and if so how please? Thank you.
    Hi Abram Brave Apparel,

Thanks for getting in touch and so sorry to hear about your Dad.

We have a dedicated bereavement support unit who you can contact for help through this process, their contact details are available here.

Normally in this case we can change a joint account into a sole account. To do this we need a certified copy of the death certificate and a written request from your Mum to change the account.

This will depend on the type of account and value but if there are any additional requirements, a member of the bereavement support unit will contact your Mum directly.

We also have a brochure which goes into some more detail and you might find this useful, its available to download here.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
    Nicola

We got the joint account switched to a sole account in my Mum's name a few weeks back. Thing is she went to an ATM this morning and couldn't withdraw cash. A message appeared at the very end saying the card was not valid with 365 cash (or words to that effect).

Could you explain this for me please? Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Evie

We got the joint account switched to a sole account in my Mum's name a few weeks back. Thing is she went to an ATM this morning and couldn't withdraw cash. A message appeared at the very end saying the card was not valid with 365 cash (or words to that effect).

Could you explain this for me please? Thank you.
    Hi Abram Brave Apparel, 

There could be numerous reasons that this has happened, she would need a rep with account access to take a look at this. Your mother would need to call to do this as she is named on the account, one of our reps would be happy to look at the account and investigate why the card was declined. 

She can call 0818365365 and select option 1 followed by the * key to go through directly to a rep.

I'm sorry to hear she has had this problem at such a difficult time. 

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist with,

Evie 

Advertisement